Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Information at this gathering stated

SF is the #3 selling catagory in kindle books

of the 265,000 books that are available in kindle and physical book format, kindle makes up 10% of the sales of all books that are avail in both formats, but in SF kindle sales are 58% of all books avail in both formats

When Book 1 was made avail on kindle for free, sales of book 2 grew 56X and sales of the physical book grew 151%

These are just notes I picked up from a blog from this convention but thought the information was interesting.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That is interesting.  I'd sure like to see how the kindle affects book trends over the next few years.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm doing my part to drive sales in my favorite genre.  :)  Just wish that more of the classics were available.  There are still vast untapped SF riches not available on Kindle - still waiting for work from ...

Alfred Bester
Samuel R. Delany
Frederic Pohl
Pat Cadigan
James P. Blaylock

& more titles from

Robert Heinlein
Arthur C. Clarke
Isaac Asimov
Harlan Ellison
Gordon R. Dickson
Iain M. Banks
Gene Wolfe
Bruce Sterling
Roger Zelazny
Stephen R. Donaldson
George Alec Effinger
Greg Egan
David Drake
Larry Niven
Greg Benford
Keith Laumer
Fred Saberhagen
James Morrow
Jack Vance

Just to name a few.

- Walter.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
To those add:
Anne McCaffery
Barbara Hambly
Adre Norton
L. Sprague de Camp
for me.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Truly interesting. I have little knowledge of the broader sci-fi field, but I can't complain about the Kindle part, even though my own are not (yet) classics and are sci-fi lite, more or less. I wonder why sci-fi for kindle is so popular?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Sci-Fi was very popular in the fifties and sixties with many of the authors names in these lists doing some of their best work. People growing up during that time had  a heavy exposure to some of the best. Tracking forward, those people are now in a group with disposable income allowing them to purchase the Kindle. and have a mindset that is accepting of the use of the Kindle. Maybe that part comes from the early sci-fi as well, The Kindle comes straight out of some of those books. (Douglas Adams, natch) I myself still read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy, both old and new. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There are a bunch of Andre Norton's books available from Baen Books (www.webscription.net) for the Kindle.  Also a bunch of some of the other authors mentioned.  Do not forget that not all SF books come from Amazon!  Baen has lots and lots that are not available elsewhere.  Also, their prices are very reasonable, not to mention all the free books they have.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I have been going to Baen, they do add quite a bit to the selection at Amazon.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, I am a regular visitor at Baen Books' web site.

I am probably projecting my own bias in this discussion, but I would suggest that a large number of SF enthusiasts come from technical backgrounds and consequently these individuals have a high "comfort level" with the Kindle.  Therefore a large pool of Kindle owners gravitate towards SF and Fantasy literature.  That is certainly the case with me.

- Walter.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I wonder if the love of scifi came first or the technical background? Were you interested in scifi at an early age or did it come later?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not really certain.

I was always helping my father work on our cars even at a young age and always seemed to do well in math and science - so the technical direction was there from the beginning.  When I started reading for pleasure SF was one of the genres that immediately captivated me.  I suspect it was at least partly due to the media coverage of America's manned space program in the '60s.  What boy didn't want to be an astronaut in those days? :)

- Walter.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Well, I am in the aviation industry. As close as I could get.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think sci-fi (and fantasy) is a perfect match for the Kindle. For starters, fans of that genre tend to be HEAVY readers, and those books accumulate quickly. The WAF (or HAF for some on this forum, I suppose) is much greater when stacks of books are no longer lying around. Secondly, lots of the books are quick reads, perfect for the kindle, or are massive tomes, also perfect for the kindle :) Finally, and this is no small issue, it is a LOT easier for a grown man to read a sci-fi book in public if it is on a kindle than in DTB format, those covers featuring freaky aliens and galactic space battles are more suited for the juvenile set (or the home). I have little intention of replacing my glossy military history books, full of maps and photos, with kindle versions (at least with the way e-books are now), but text heavy fiction is all going on the kindle for me.

I find it ASTOUNDING that e-books account for 10% of sales for those books. Are these across ALL markets, or just as a proportion of amazon sales (where naturally e-book sales would be higher)? We have a lot more consumer power than I thought!

I'm dying to see the sales of the LOTR books. I think that item will send a clear message about the economic viability of the e-book market in that genre. Hopefully it is positive so more attention it paid to the e-books and more come out (no Harry Potter, really?).

·
Registered
14 Posts
ladyvolz said:
When Book 1 was made avail on kindle for free, sales of book 2 grew 56X and sales of the physical book grew 151%
Blood Engines by T Pratt was a freebie from Amazon for the Kindle. I just bought the other books in the series. I probably wouldn't have even looked at them if the first one hadn't been free.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not from my personal experience (I'm a huge gadget-geek, but not real into SciFi), but my first thought was that SciFi readers might tend to be more technically inclined as well.

Either way, I love seeing great Kindle sales numbers, can only be good news for all of us. Are you listening, J. K. Rowling & John Grisham? Clancy and Tolkien estate finally got it, let's hope we soon have everyone drinking the Kindle Kool Aid :)

WalterK said:
I am probably projecting my own bias in this discussion, but I would suggest that a large number of SF enthusiasts come from technical backgrounds and consequently these individuals have a high "comfort level" with the Kindle. Therefore a large pool of Kindle owners gravitate towards SF and Fantasy literature. That is certainly the case with me.

- Walter.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Avalon said:
Are you listening, J. K. Rowling & John Grisham? Clancy and Tolkien estate finally got it
I like to think that us sci-fi indies helped lead them to Kindle, and to reasonable pricing (though I guess that's still in progress). ;D

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Avalon said:
Either way, I love seeing great Kindle sales numbers, can only be good news for all of us. Are you listening, J. K. Rowling & John Grisham? Clancy and Tolkien estate finally got it, let's hope we soon have everyone drinking the Kindle Kool Aid :)
I can not fathom those two authors, of all authors, are fighting moving their works to digital format and profiting from it. They are insane to think their books won't make it to digital format (in relatively short order I might add) with or without their blessing or that not doing so will hinder the pirates from doing it for them. To me the more popular an author is, the more incentive there is for them to immediately offer a digital copy for their customers.

No, the only ones (other than themselves) suffering from the decision to fight going to digital are their fans who want to buy legal copies.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
SCI-FI - no way - that is until I got my kindle!  Found free and inexpensive books here, ok try them out price is right - I am HOOKED!  I am not tech, have a fairly good imagination, love reading, and the kindle is good for me.  I have to admit I had to be convinced to read "In Her Name" thought there might be scary things that would give me nightmares, nope just good adventure and action with some niceties thrown in.

FANTASY - nah!  Got a couple of freebies, now have spent money on series, I am HOOKED!

I think the kindle has a lot to do with it, I have kindleboard folks recommending books and genres that I never would have thought about, even vampires!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
OH MY GOODNESS!! I go on vacation and don't have access and when I get back I find this??!!! LOTR and Hobbit are available How sweet is that?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts