Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading "Mean Streets", 4 novelettes by Jim Butcher, Simon R. Green, Kat Richardson, and Thomas E. Sniegoski. All urban fantasy, P.I. stories. I had not read Ms. Richardson before and really enjoyed her story, "The Third Death of the Little Clay Dog".

So I decided to see what else she had written. Her story included the protagonist from her "Greywalker" Series. Cool. New author, new series. But wait - books 2 & 3 are available on Kindle while book 1 is not. Not unusual, I know. I hit the "I wanna read this in Kindle" button and wrote to both the publisher and Ms. Richardson. Within 2 hours she replied (bold is mine):

Hi Mike.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story and want to read the books. I've talked to my editor several times about the Greywalker ebook and have been told it should be available sometime this year, but I'm afraid I don't have the date.

The ebook conversions started right after my first book came out, so it's been in the "backlist" pile, which is lower priority than the "new" pile. I do know that if you click on the button requesting the Kindle version, Amazon will report the request. More requests raises my priority at the publisher. I wish I could hurry it along, but you as a customer have more weight than I do.

Thanks for letting me know, however. I'll try to hurry them along.

All the best,

Kat Richardson
I found the part that I bolded to be very interesting. Seems that at least one author seems to think that we do some good when we "klick" on the request button.

Now - let me go to our klicker thread, add this book, and go klick on some more of those listed... :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
That's interesting, Mike. Thanks for sharing. It is good to know that clicking the button does something other than satisfy our need to click buttons! Two of my favorite authors have new books coming out this month and according to them, the publisher has no plans at all to put them out in ebook versions, even though the publisher has the erights. I'm so annoyed I could spit. It seems to shortsighted to me, in this day and age, to plan a paperback version only of a new book.

L

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leslie said:
That's interesting, Mike. Thanks for sharing. It is good to know that clicking the button does something other than satisfy our need to click buttons! Two of my favorite authors have new books coming out this month and according to them, the publisher has no plans at all to put them out in ebook versions, even though the publisher has the erights. I'm so annoyed I could spit. It seems to shortsighted to me, in this day and age, to plan a paperback version only of a new book.

L
Well, you're right. It is short sighted. I expect that some publishers will have to be brought into the twenty-first century kicking and screaming. It may take time, but the almighty dollar speaks volumes. When some of the more reluctant publishers see their competition making money from eBooks, then they'll join in. In the meantime, it is a PITA for consumers. :)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
That is interesting, Mike.  And thanks for the info on that specific book/author....I've been clicking and checking on it for months, the series looks interesting but I won't start on the 2nd book in a series.... *sigh*  (I'm less good at writing to authors/publishers; though just yesterday, I swear that's one of the ones I was thinking I might look up and do this weekend.)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Hey, Mike -- Greywalker (the first in the series) is up now for Kindle.....with a pre-order date.....of JUNE 2ND.  *sigh*  Ah well, that's better than no Kindle date at all and maybe it'll come early. :p

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steph H said:
Hey, Mike -- Greywalker (the first in the series) is up now for Kindle.....with a pre-order date.....of JUNE 2ND. *sigh* Ah well, that's better than no Kindle date at all and maybe it'll come early. :p
June is just around the corner. Very cool! :)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Woohoo!  Thanks, MikeD!  We're finding KBoards is a force to be reckoned with.  And it's great news that Amazon does report the klicks to the publishers, woohoo!

Betsy

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Bumping up for Mike (and anyone else interested)....Greywalker is out on Kindle now! But I notice that book 2 in the series, Poltergeist, ISN'T! It apparently was at one time -- see Mike's original post saying the second and third books were available, and the third book still is -- but it ain't now. :p

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steph H said:
Bumping up for Mike (and anyone else interested)....Greywalker is out on Kindle now! But I notice that book 2 in the series, Poltergeist, ISN'T! It apparently was at one time -- see Mike's original post saying the second and third books were available, and the third book still is -- but it ain't now. :p

Thanks! :)

I was about to come in here and post something similar. First book is available at a decent price - $6.39. The second book is gone (it vanished shortly after my post above - shoulda got it while the gettin' was good) and the third is selling for $13.17. Maybe they are going to reissue the other 2? I dunno...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts