Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here's the best part;

Fact 5: Borrows on KindleUnlimited influence the sales rank immediately.

I couldn't believe this first. Borrows on KindleUnlimited are only paid when the user reads at least 10 percent. But for the sales rank all borrows count immediately. I saw a first hint of this in the chart above because the numbers for the KU titles are always leading in front of the Non-KU-Titles a bit. Therefore, I tested that with another title. The result was very clear: After four users borrowed it without ever opening, the title climbed from position 190,000 to 4,000. Sales, on the other hand, only count for the sales rank if they are in the sales report (being shown on the dashboard is not enough).

So, the first question that comes to mind is "How many times can I, or my 300 minions, borrow and return the same book without reading it?"

Let the games begin.

G

·
Fascinating. I wonder what this means for titles that have been out for a year or longer, where sales have flagged off. Would dropping the price to $.99 for an extended period of time to gradually build up increasing sales each day be an effective way to boost visibility long term? How about dropping the price to free for a month?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
This is a fascinating study, and far, far more illuminating than the endless speculation and anecdotal evidence. None of this is surprising, because all of it has been suggested before, but this is the first time I've ever seen hard evidence for it.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Randall Wood said:
Here's the best part;

Fact 5: Borrows on KindleUnlimited influence the sales rank immediately.

I couldn't believe this first. Borrows on KindleUnlimited are only paid when the user reads at least 10 percent. But for the sales rank all borrows count immediately. I saw a first hint of this in the chart above because the numbers for the KU titles are always leading in front of the Non-KU-Titles a bit. Therefore, I tested that with another title. The result was very clear: After four users borrowed it without ever opening, the title climbed from position 190,000 to 4,000. Sales, on the other hand, only count for the sales rank if they are in the sales report (being shown on the dashboard is not enough).

So, the first question that comes to mind is "How many times can I, or my 300 minions, borrow and return the same book without reading it?"

Let the games begin.
Not sure I get this analogy. If a book is ranked 4000, does it matter if it goes to 3000 faster with KU, or eventually with paid sales?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Oh, and thanks Dan for posting this.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Martitalbott said:
Not sure I get this analogy. If a book is ranked 4000, does it matter if it goes to 3000 faster with KU, or eventually with paid sales?
It matters in the sense that it costs a reader nothing, not even reading time, to click "borrow" on a book, with immediate favorable impact on your book, even if the reader has no intention of doing anything but returning the book. Which means it's ripe for scamming (and is no doubt how the recent scamlets got such high rankings out of nowhere-you just need a network of KU users willing to click a button on your book; they don't even have to page to the 10% point to boost your rankings & visibility).

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Randall Wood said:
Question for the KU subscribers:
Can you download and return a book only to borrow it again at a later time?
Yes, you can. When you return a book, you get a helpful message that your notes and furthest page read will be kept in case you download it again. And yes, a second download works fine (I've just tried it).

I know the author only gets paid once for the 10% read, no matter how many times a customer reads it. However, I don't know whether they get the ranking boost for repeat downloads or not.

·
Registered
832 Posts
From a PC-PRO article found via Google:

"If you do return a book, it's removed from your devices but your notes and furthest read page are saved in case you borrow it again."

Oh, boy. I wonder if an Amazon server or two are about to crash?

(Whoops, Just saw that Pauline beat me to it. Thanks!)

"However, I don't know whether they get the ranking boost for repeat downloads or not."

That's the next BIG question.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Randall Wood said:
From a PC-PRO article found via Google:

"If you do return a book, it's removed from your devices but your notes and furthest read page are saved in case you borrow it again."

Oh, boy. I wonder if an Amazon server or two are about to crash?

(Whoops, Just saw that Pauline beat me to it. Thanks!)
Surely they wouldn't count the second/third/fourth/four hundredth re-borrow for ranking purposes - would they?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.