·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received this email:

Inquiry for Korean Translation Right - Candy Wars

Dear R. G. Cordiner,

Hello.

This is Viola Ryu from PLS literary agency in Korea.

One of our clients (Korean publisher) is very interested in your title 'Candy Wars.'

If Korean translation rights is available, could you please send me a reading copy?

or if you have a literary agency, please let me know.

I’ll make reviews of your title and introduce it to my clients.

Following is the book information.

-----------------------------------------------------

Title: Candy Wars: The Tooth Fairies vs The Candy King

Author: R. G. Cordiner

ISBN: 978-1453701874

-------------------------------------------------------

If Korean publisher suggests about Korean edition , I'll let you know immediately.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Best Regards.,

Viola

Viola Ryu, Rights Manager

PLS Literary Agency│Hyunjubil 101, 394-88, Seogyo-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul 121-836, Korea

Email: [email protected] / [email protected]

Tel: 82-2-3143-1640

Fax: 82-2-3143-1641

OK - so I think it could be legit - but I'm not sure.  Do I try and negotiate myself - or use this to try and get an agent (so they can deal with it)?  Any advice would be gratefully received.

regards
RG

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
A quick whiz round the internet suggests it's legit. See mention here: http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/profschia/. You have nothing to lose by responding, I would say.

How many books are you currently selling in Korea? ;)

Lexi

P.S. I doubt just this offer would interest an agent, but my experience with a Hungarian publisher suggests the contract is likely to be simple and comprehensible, and probably not that negotiable for a brand new author. Better to save the 15%.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did - they wanted my bank account details for the contract - I set up a new (empty) account.  Am waiting now to see what happens.

·
Registered
533 Posts
rcordiner said:
I did - they wanted my bank account details for the contract - I set up a new (empty) account. Am waiting now to see what happens.
Perhaps it's just me being a mistrusting soul, but that sounds dodgy! Why would they want your bank details?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because they wire transfer the funds into your account

·
Registered
183 Posts
Eeek, that sounds off.  Well, at least it was an empty account.  It seems a little strange that they hadn't read the book before they contacted you about the rights. 

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They did read it - I sent them a copy/  The agency said they had someone interested in the title.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean, worst case, they publish them without my knowledge and rip me off.  But they could have done that anyway by just downloading the book from Smashwords in a format of their choice.  Just seems like a lot of effort to go to if it's fake.  Maybe they were looking for a bank account?  I'll wait and see.  It was exciting to receive an offer anyway -real or not

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a similar email.

Did they post money to your empty bank account? 

What happened?

Thanks --

W.E.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I did not get the email, but I would be very interested to know how it turns out. Sounds suspicious to me any time someone asks for my bank account information, especially before a contract is negotiated and accepted. Good thing you gave them an empty bank account number, but can they glean any other personal information about you with that account number?

Please, keep us posted as this drama unfolds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts