·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Thea and Ana at The Book Smugglers have a great book review site, and they sent me a link this morning to one of the sections of an interview recently done with them by Temple Library Reviews (this happened to be part three of a series).

Of interest to me personally was their answer to question #19 about self-published books... ;D
So…I don't think it's fair to say that if a book is self published it must be bad. Certainly that could be the case for many self-published authors, but there are other reasons why a book isn't put out by Tor or other bigger imprints.

Being published by the bigger imprints is no guarantee that a book is a winner, either. I've read quite a few stinkers in my time, way before self-publishing became so available.

Yay, Mike!!!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Mike, I enjoyed the interview.  Loved the idea of "dare to read outside your genre."  And of course, they seem to be pretty impressed by the writing of some guy named Hicks, whoever that is.  ;D

They have a Book Debate--we have those every day in the Book Corner!  Thanks for sharing this, for a number of reasons!

Betsy

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
So…I don't think it's fair to say that if a book is self published it must be bad. Certainly that could be the case for many self-published authors, but there are other reasons why a book isn't put out by Tor or other bigger imprints.

Being published by the bigger imprints is no guarantee that a book is a winner, either. I've read quite a few stinkers in my time, way before self-publishing became so available.

Yay, Mike!!!
Yeah, that's actually one of the reasons why I decided to write In Her Name, or at least one of the catalysts for trying to write my own book. I was reading a novel - a typical paperback that you'd probably pay $8 or so for in the bookstore now - years ago, and it was just total dreck, and that was on the heels of a few others that were very drecky - and all written by fairly big-name authors from major publishers. That was when I finally told myself as a challenge, "Criminy, *I* can write something at least as good as that (and, technically, so could the mentally challenged gerbil I had when I was a kid)..." ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Betsy the Quilter said:
Mike, I enjoyed the interview. Loved the idea of "dare to read outside your genre." And of course, they seem to be pretty impressed by the writing of some guy named Hicks, whoever that is. ;D

They have a Book Debate--we have those every day in the Book Corner! Thanks for sharing this, for a number of reasons!

Betsy
Most welcome! ;D

And yeah, Ana and Thea are really cool, and they do a lot of neat stuff on their site. I don't keep track of it (or anything, these days!) as well as I'd like, but it's a great place to check out, and they have really in-depth reviews on a lot of different types of books...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts