Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself in this board after being suggested to do so in another one of the threads here. Here we go.

I'm a 20 year old guy who attends the University of Southern California majoring in Business. I know this sounds pretty bland (the major, not the university ;D), but I'm really a more interesting person at heart I'd like to think. My concentration (kind of like a minor) is in entrepreneurship, but I also have a love for technology. That kind of bleeds into my reading interests:

As for reading, I'm a certified Sci-Fi nut. Two of my favorite authors so far are Isaac Asimov (of course) and Orson Scott Card. From Asimov, I've read the Foundation Trilogy (given the Hugo award for best all-time series beating out Lord of the Rings), the three books following the original trilogy, iRobot, and many of his short stories. Out of his short stories my favorite so far is called The Last Question and can be found here: http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html. It was Asimov's favorite and it seems to be mine so far as well.

Orson Scott card is another beast entirely. He's most noted for Ender's game (which I loved even if his character development was a bit subpar in some parts), but he's extremely underrated in my opinion in his other books. The Shadow Saga, which follows the story of a character introduced in Ender's game, is split into three books, all of them amazing IMHO. Card also happens to be the author of my all-time favorite book, The Worthing Saga. I really couldn't do it justice summarizing it here, but I urge everyone who likes Sci-Fi (I don't know how much crossover appeal it would have even though it's an excellent book in general) to give it a read.

If anyone has any questions or comments, that would be great.

Thanks

PS: I'm waiting for the Kindle 2. Please release it Amazon!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi BadAndy!  Welcome aboard.  I think you will find this site to be one of the most helpful and friendliest sites going.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard, BadAndy...

Love your handle. There is a lot of reading on these boards as you have found out, helpful hints and tips section as well.

Nice to meet you and waving at you from Central California,

--sailor

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Badandy,  Nice to have you here.  You will find that you are not the only Isaac Asimov or Orson Scott Card fan here.  I hope you enjoy KindleBoards.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cat616 said:
Hi Badandy, Nice to have you here. You will find that you are not the only Isaac Asimov or Orson Scott Card fan here. I hope you enjoy KindleBoards.
That is reassuring. Is there some kind of thread or board here that deals specifically with Sci-Fi books?

Thanks all for the welcome.

B

·
0 Posts
Badandy said:
That is reassuring. Is there some kind of thread or board here that deals specifically with Sci-Fi books?

There is a Stephen King thread, but not a specific SF thread. jmiked and I are both big fans of classic SF, and we talk about it all the time in our threads. You should definitely check out both of our "favorite books" threads. You'll find them in The Book Corner.

Welcome!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello and welcome Badandy! Yes, you will find plenty of Sci-Fi talk around here. You can go to The Book Corner and do a search. Are you sure you want to wait for K2?? Could be a long wait!  :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Badandy said:

Check out The Book Corner. There may be a thread specifically for Sci Fi. If not you can start one.

I know a lot of people here are into Sci Fi. Also lots of us are stepping outside of our regular genres and trying new ones too on the recommendations of other KindleBoarders.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Angela said:
Hello and welcome Badandy! Yes, you will find plenty of Sci-Fi talk around here. You can go to The Book Corner and do a search. Are you sure you want to wait for K2?? Could be a long wait! :)
But it's a long wait as well for the original Kindle! I am now thinking of possibly picking up a Bookeen Cybook Gen3. It's simply another ebook reader that looks great and is small. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons now considering you can't use Amazon's store, but you can use Mobipocket's. Has anyone tried or heard anything about the Cybook Gen3? If so, please let me know what you thought/heard. Either way, this forum has a lot of other stuff so I won't be going anywhere even if I get a different ebook reader...

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Badandy said:
But it's a long wait as well for the original Kindle!
Stalk Amazon. . . they periodically put up 'refurbished' kindles for sale for $30 less than new. But everyone here on the board so far who has ordered one has said they're indistinguishable from brand new. Usually someone here will announce it if they see that there are units available, but if you don't happen to be on time right then you can miss it. Sometimes they only last a few minutes.

Oh, and FWIW, I wanted one from when I first saw them advertised last winter. Read up, debated with myself, checked out other readers and made the decision when the price dropped last Spring. I'd been thinking -- better to wait for version 2 which will have the bugs worked out but I'm glad I bought when I did.

Ann

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any place they'd list their refurb models?  I just go to amazon.com/kindle and it only gives me the option of ordering new.  I'd imagine they add a buy button when they have refurbs in stock.  I might just put in an order or wait for a refurb and use it until the Kindle 2 comes out, in which time I can give it to my mom or sell it online. 

B

·
0 Posts
Look at the banner at the top of your screen.  Look at the links listed directly under it.  Look at the sixth link. :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Badandy said:
Hey everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself in this board after being suggested to do so in another one of the threads here. Here we go.
Hi, BadAndy -

Glad to have you here! Looking forward to your posts in SciFi, since that is one my favorite genres. I love the Ender series and the Shadow series. What do you think of Alvin Youngmaker? I've not read that series by him.

Have you read any of David Weber's books? He's got a great series called "Honor Harrington" that I just love to death. Most of his books can be called Military SciFi. If you like that kind of stuff, Tany Huff has an excellent series out called "Confederation" that I love as well.

I have not seen or used a Cybook. From the brief little search that I just did, the benefit of Amazon is the Whispernet. I did find this blurb that you mind find useful:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/31/cybook-gen3-e-book-reader-gets-reviewed/

Marci

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Andy, welcome! Glad to have you here.

As you can see up above, Harvey has written a little piece of code that tells when refurbished Kindles are available. There was one about 20 minutes ago, but it is gone now. Keep checking...Amazon seems to release them in drips and drabs.

L

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Marci said:
Looking forward to your posts in SciFi, since that is one my favorite genres. I love the Ender series and the Shadow series.
Excellent. I haven't read Ender in Exile yet, although I hear that ties up a lot of loose ends in the Shadow saga as well. It seems to be getting favorable reviews.

What do you think of Alvin Youngmaker? I've not read that series by him.
I couldn't find it for a while and it turns out the series is called "The Tales of Alvin Maker". I hadn't heard of it, but it's now on my radar and I'll read it when I get a chance (I'm in final exams right now at USC). From the synopsis it looks really good and there are loads of favorable reviews on it. Contrary to my usual belief in user reviews on websites, I actually find I agree with Amazon users pretty regularly. Anyone found this to be true as well?

Have you read any of David Weber's books? He's got a great series called "Honor Harrington" that I just love to death. Most of his books can be called Military SciFi. If you like that kind of stuff, Tanya Huff has an excellent series out called "Confederation" that I love as well.
I will look into those.

The problem with all three of your recommendations (and indeed with many of mine), is that they're not available for the Kindle! I know it's a fairly new store, but I'd expect a little better Sci-Fi selection (given the genre's emphasis on technology) than Amazon has. Either way, I requested all of those for the Kindle even though I do not have one yet.

I have not seen or used a Cybook. From the brief little search that I just did, the benefit of Amazon is the Whispernet. I did find this blurb that you mind find useful:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/31/cybook-gen3-e-book-reader-gets-reviewed/
Thanks for that. It looks like a pretty cool device for just reading. No keyboard, no wireless, but it functions as just a drag and drop USB device similar to the Kindle. I don't know which way I'll go.

Have you had a chance to read Neuromancer (William Gibson) or any of Larry Niven's sutff? I'm going to read both of those this winter break and I've heard great things...

·
Registered
869 Posts
BadAndy,

Well, I say, "GET THE KINDLE" :D Having an SD card is another benefit to consider....

I misunderstood your post a bit. I was thinking you were interested in any SciFi books; not just those on Kindle.

Hey, almost forgot. There literally is tons of book in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi realm that are available for free that the Kindle will accept. Be sure to check the Book Lover's Links in the Book Corner of this board! I understand Baen books is quite good for having their catalog on ebooks AWA occasionally offer books for free.

Oops, my mistake re the Alvin series. I could have sworn it was "Youngmaker" ;) Glad you discovered the true series & now have it on your radar.

I read Neuromancer a long time ago & remember being overwhelmed by Gibson's talent. Let me know what you think when you are done reading that. I have not gotten into Niven much for no particular reason.

Hope this helps,

Marci

1 - 20 of 24 Posts