Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.  I came across this site today and decided to join.  I have the Kindle at my house but have to wait til Christmas to use it.  My wife saw the Oprah show and new I had looked at these last year but wanted to wait and see real user reviews for a while before jumping in and purchasing.  So she asked if I still wanted one and showed me Oprah's endorsement and so we ordered one.  My bride is a stickler for wrapping it up and waiting but at least we ordered when we did or I'd be waiting longer. 

My name is Lance and I live in Spring, TX (North suburb of Houston).  I'm 38 and haven't read much at all in the last few years and am looking forward to getting going again through Kindle.  When growing up I read lots of Fantasy mostly and the last things I've read have been James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, David Baldacci mostly.

I've been researching around looking for books to get into once I can start loading the Kindle up and came across this site. 

I have quickly noticed that the ladies seem to be way outnumbering the guys on this site.  I would have guessed the Kindle would have been more liked by males in general but obviously not.

I look forward to a new experience and having some great discussions and learn a lot about getting the most of my new Kindle.

Lance

G

·
Hi and welcome, Lance.  You'll definitely want to head over to the Book Corner, where you'll find lots of discussion of SF and Fantasy.

You should also be expecting a shout-out from Angela.  She's a North Texan, in Houston at the moment.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
CoogLH--

Welcome to the Kindleboards and congratulations on your first post!

And congratulations in advance on your Kindle!  You'll be an expert in all things Kindle by the time you open your gift!

Be sure to check out the Book Corner for great recommendations of free books, bargain books and our members' favorite books.  AND we have book klubs beginning in January!

Betsy

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Howdy Lance and welcome! I recently moved from Kingwood to Longview to care for elderly parents... hubby is still in Houston working and comes to see me on weekends. Daughter and family are still in Kingwood. I am in Houston now at the hubby's apt. for a visit and to get ready for grandson's birthday party...  I am rambling now!! Anyway, glad you are here! I was fortunate in that I got to have my Christmas present early and am thoroughly enjoying my Kindle. You will find great suggestions here for books buys and info on where to find lots of free books, too! Enjoy the boards! Christmas will be here before you know it!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Howdy, Lance (the lady tips her ten gallon hat) :D

So glad you found your way here and have a Kindle waiting under the tree. Christmas really is not that far away!

I second the previous suggestions to check out the Book Klub and the Book Corner. The free/low-cost thread has tons of book suggestions.

And I'm sure all the guys would love to have another member seeing as they are so outnumbered, the poor things.

Marci

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Lance...welcome! Glad to have you here. My son is named Lance and when I saw your post, at first I wondered if he joined the boards. LOL. Yes, he has a Kindle but I don't think he's the forum type...

You'll find this place is full of good info and lots of suggestions. Dive in!

L

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi CoogLH,

Glad that you found us. Do not be worried that you are out numbered by women here, we may be feisty but we are friendly.
I hope you like KindleBoards as much as I do.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome to Kindleboards Lance! Nice to have another guy here. I enjoy Patterson, Cornwell and Baldacci also. I have many favorite things here but one is that my reading horizon has been broadened. I am reading authors I'd never read before. Congrats on your first post and I look forward to reading more. We have fun here, check out the Australia thread on Not Quite Kindle Forum.  ;D

Linda

·
Registered
384 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Cat,

I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your Welcome signs!

Betsy
Thanks Betsy,

I have figured out how and were to find images and how to get them into my posts with the help of my friends here on the KindleBoards.

Now that I know how to adjust the size of the image I am going to be even better at images. If that was you who re-sized the image of the Oberon cover for me yesterday I offer my sincere appreciation. I went back into the post and now I know how it is done.

Elaine doing a Happy Dance for me.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Love Elaine's happy dance! She always cracked me up on Seinfeld dancing.  ;D

I have a question, do you google for images and how do you get them in a post or direct me to the thread please.

Thanks,
Linda

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
cat616 said:
Thanks Betsy,

I have figured out how and were to find images and how to get them into my posts with the help of my friends here on the KindleBoards.

Now that I know how to adjust the size of the image I am going to be even better at images. If that was you who re-sized the image of the Oberon cover for me yesterday I offer my sincere appreciation. I went back into the post and now I know how it is done.

Elaine doing a Happy Dance for me.
Coulda been me, glad you could figure it out! Love the happy dance!

Betsy

·
Registered
384 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Love Elaine's happy dance! She always cracked me up on Seinfeld dancing. ;D

I have a question, do you google for images and how do you get them in a post or direct me to the thread please.

Thanks,
Linda
Linda, this is the Thread which helped me find images. http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1008.0.html

I cannot explain the rest here because as soon as I start trying to explain the coding it gives me a screwy post because it has the code in it! I will PM you.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Dori said:
Linda, I get most of my animated gif's from animationfactory.com
Thanks Dori and Cat! I got your PM Cat and I will check out animationfactory.com Dori. I hope I don't have as much trouble as I did with link maker. :mad:

Linda

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
...back on Topic

Welcome Aboard Lance,

Glad you found us. Keep reading all the helps, hints, and tips and by the time Chistmas rolls around,
you will alread know how to use Kindle. Also, you can start ordering books and have them waiting
for you when you open Kindle up on Christmas Day...or will it be Christmas Eve?

Nice to meet you, waving at you from California,

-sailor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts