Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I'm honored (and a little nervous) about kicking off the revised Reading with the Author Book Klub. But I'm game, if you are. The discussion doesn't begin formally until August 1, but if you'd like to introduce yourself on this thread before that, please feel free. I'm the author of the book, and you can out much more about it and me at my website:

http://libbyhellmann.com

In terms of organizing the discussion, which Geoffrey and the moderators pretty much left up to me, I thought I'd pose some questions about the book and the themes it explores, but if YOU'D like to start a thread of your own about the book...the characters ... writing a historical thriller... or the writing process in general, I'm happy to respond and hope you will too.

Someone suggested doing a chat in real time. I have to confess I have no idea where the chat room is, and I;m not sure we would get several people together at the same time, but if we do manage to have a quorum (more than 4-5 people) I'm willing to try.

That's about it from me for now. Hope to see you again August 1.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Libby,

How exciting  - and nerve wracking for you!

You might remember I did read Set the night on fire earlier this year, and yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. This book has quite a lot of historical parts to it, and as I like to spend quite a good amount of my own time when researching for a book I wonder how much time you had to spend on this. I was around in the 1970's (!) and although my memory is good you use yours to great advantage - a lot of which I have forgotten.

Also where did you conduct your research, mostly on the internet or elsewhere?

Best of luck with this and I'll follow this subject with interest.
Faith Mortimer

·
Registered
16 Posts
;D Hello Libby.  I just finished SET THE NIGHT ON FIRE -  PART ONE: THE PRESENT last night and I'm blown away with your
story and the twists especially the final revelation in PART ONE. I can't believe your book has set on my shelf since last year; It was top three of books to read in 2011.
Anyhow, I have a few question for you about Gar that can't wait until August 1.
I consider Lila Hilliard and Dar Gantner alternating co-narrators of this part.  So.........................

Is this story a fictional biography of Tom Hayden?  Did you interview Hayden?  Both Hayden are Gar are members of the Michigan MOBES...so maybe Gar is a clone?

By the way, I asked my 50-year old daughter (with whom I live) what she knew of the CHICAGO SEVEN.  She had just had her first sip of Starbucks on the porch of our Florida condo...and membled something about Mafia and gangsters.  Think Tom Hayden, the first husband of Jane Fonda, said I, and anti-Vietnam protesters in the Sixties.  (History lesson to be continued after she returns from work.)

Jane 

·
Registered
1 Posts
Libby,

I met you at Midwest Writers-my full name is John Teegardin.
I downloaded the book but have not started it--am looking forward to it.
[Took me awhile to figure out how to get to this site--couln not read my notes you gave me---bad hand writing.]
I will be checking in from time to time---
It was a pleasure to meet and talk with you--
thanks
John

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, JOhn.. Thanks for actually finding us!

And Jane Books.. glad to have you here, too. And KAthy... thanks for coming by. 

The discussion has formally begun... so please, dig in. And if you want to start a thread of your own about the book, go ahead!

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Hi, Libby--

I've been wanting to read one of your books, so I'm delighted to see you are our first new Reading with the Author Book Klubee  ;D

I'm about 1/3 of the way through--in the Past right now...

I was 13 during the time period of the past, and don't really know very much about it--I didn't get politically aware until I was in my 30s, really...  :eek:  So I'm very intrigued by what I've read so far, it makes me want to know more about the period!

Betsy

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Betsy. I hope the story holds up for you. I actually worked on an underground newspaper in DC during the late Sixties. QUicksilver Times. I wasn't a staff member -- I was too bourgeoise for that. But I did odd jobs and sold newspapers at the corner of Wisconsin and M for a summer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've never written a period piece, perhaps scared away by the challenges of keeping everything authentic, from surroundings to dialogue. Could you discuss any difficulties in "keeping it real," a phrase that would probably work circa 1970.

Paul Levine

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I jumped into the first question since it really didn't have much to do with the book itself .. but I'm really looking forward was starting this one and it's on my short list for the month.    I've been trying not to read any spoilers as I look over the comments for spammers or other riff-raff ( ;D ) ... Trying not to get too much of a feel before I even start it....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts