Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have an iPhone (although I have iPhone envy), but I have seen the Kindle app in action on a friends phone.  Obviously the screen is smaller, but the clarity was excellent.  My immediate reaction, however, was that the backlighting would make it uncomfortable to read for any length of time.  So, based on not having an iPhone and a 10 minute demonstation of the app, I concluded that the iPhone is a nice supplement but could not really be a replacement for the Kindle.  How's that for jumping to a conclusion with limited evidence?  Thoughts?

Fed

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I did download the app onto my phone but I haven't given it a good try yet. That said, for me it wouldn't replace reading on my Kindle and for the life of me, I can't understand how my husband can read on his Palm. It is a great option to have though when you don't have your Kindle with you and as Leslie found while traveling in the evening and not wanting to take her Kindle and book light out...

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't have an iPhone either but my friends do and I do think it would be pretty hard on the eyes to read books on that small of a screen.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I agree that it would not replace the Kindle but I think I will look into an itouch next.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My hubby has an Itouch and I dl'd the app for him and have played with it.  It's neat and all however I could NEVER use that for any amount of long term reading over my Kindle. We are talking 2 completely unique reading experiences/puposes.  As a supplement to the Kindle for while you may be out here and there sure... but not for anything more than that.  It would be too hard on the eyes, & too much glare outside.  Also, all the free books I get for my Kindle on other sites isn't available for that so about 75% of my library wouldn't be on there.  Just my .02 cents.  :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
raccemup said:
My hubby has an Itouch and I dl'd the app for him and have played with it. It's neat and all however I could NEVER use that for any amount of long term reading over my Kindle. We are talking 2 completely unique reading experiences/puposes. As a supplement to the Kindle for while you may be out here and there sure... but not for anything more than that. It would be too hard on the eyes, & too much glare outside. Also, all the free books I get for my Kindle on other sites isn't available for that so about 75% of my library wouldn't be on there. Just my .02 cents. :)
That is what I was thinking, definitely as a supplement, not a replacement for my beloved Kindle.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Supplement here too.  But I can see why it might be appealing to some--much more portable than even the K2, carrying one device instead of two, backlit, etc. 

For serious reading though, I can't imagine it.  I'd hate to try to read The Stand or any other megalith on that fingerprint prone, high glare, tiny screen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Supplement here as well. I have the itouch, and have read up to 20 minutes on it, and its not that enjoyable. But nice in a pinch when you don't have your Kindle.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My son, who is 28, has an Itouch and has dl'd many of my books. He has finished several smaller books, and read Whiskey Rebels, not a small book, in the last couple of days. I could not read on something that small. But then again, he's a lot younger than I am.
deb

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Definitely a supplement. I couldn't stand to read on the iPhone all the time. But as Chynared noted, it came in real handy last evening riding the shuttle bus from O'Hare to downtown Chicago.

L

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Despite starting this topic, I just realized that I don't know the answer to a really basic question.  I have been assuming that you have to have at least one Kindle associated with your Amazon account before you can register any iPhones to it.  Is that true?

Fed...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
No, you can just have an iPhone and read Kindle books. You don't have to actually have a Kindle at all.

Having said that, the iPhone app is a supplement. At least for me. The main drawback of the app is that you can ONLY read books you've bought from the Amazon store. If you're getting your books from other places, you *can't* read them on iPhone, even though you can put them on the Kindle.

If the Amazon Kindle store is your sole source of reading material, then the iPhone app is a lot more useful. (But I echo what others have said: Small backlit screen is fail for long reading sessions)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Aren't there other aps for the iPhone and iTouch that let you read other books?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Supplement according to BFF. She's attached to my kindle account so we can read the same books, but since she doesn't have a kindle she reads via iphone. After reading on my kindle she mentioned she prefer to read on the K.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
There are other ebook apps, but you cannot read Kindle ebooks on them. If you want to read something other than Kindle ebooks, you will need a different app. I have the Kindle app and Stanza on my iPhone, though I think I will dump Stanza now that the Kindle app is available and syncs locations to the books I am reading on my Kindle.

I have been using the iPhone app more than I thought I would.... I've used it three times recently, for more than 1/2 hour each, when stuck waiting somewhere when I didn't have my Kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
intinst said:
Aren't there other aps for the iPhone and iTouch that let you read other books?
Yes. I believe Fictionwise has an app called eReader. It was one of the first reading apps to come out in the big flood last summer.

L

·
Registered
103 Posts
I like using it to read a night in bed with the lights out. I don't notice the glare then. But I do think of it more as a supplement than a replacement.

Though I doubt I'd give up the app on my iPhone. :-\

1 - 20 of 37 Posts