Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few members of our family would like to get an iPhone, but we're currently under contract with T-Mobile until the end of September 2009.  We've found the T-Mobile Family Plan works well for us and see no need to change providers at this time.

Is there anyone out there who has an iPhone with another cell provider other than AT&T?  A tech friend of DH says the unlocking disables certain features and makes upgrades a hassle.  Is this true?

Thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Have you considered getting the G1 phone with T-Mobile? My roomie just got one and he loves it. It's comperable to an iPhone, though not exactly the same.

·
Registered
175 Posts
We're in the same boat with Verizon. I hear that the G3 phone (or whatever it's called) is really great on T-mobile. Unfortunately I don't like any of the phones that Verizon has... yet. I'm hoping they come out with something new before our upgrade in March.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm with Verizon and have a LG Chocolate.

Doesn't do all the fancy things an iPhone does, no touch screen, but it works just fine and has a nice camera.

·
Registered
175 Posts
;DI want something fancy. :) Specifically, I text a lot, and would love to have a decent keypad or web browser.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, if you text a lot, you won't like the iPhone.  The keypad is awful.  Even with short fingernails, I'm constantly hitting the wrong keys (they're very small, and you have to touch them with the pad of your finger, not the nail), plus the built-in "correcter" often changes my words to something I didn't intend.

It's a pain.

Sharyn

·
Registered
788 Posts
The G1 phone from T-Mobile has a teeny mini keyboard, which would be MUCH better for texting than the LG Chocolate (I've never texted, not once. I figure if someone needs to talk to me they can call me) and the iPhone.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're looking into the best phones for business purposes....ability to access e-mails, attachment, Internet while traveling or on the go.  A Blackberry with T-Mobile would be fine if the Internet were fast enough.  We're all used to texting with the pads of our fingers, but definitely need a QWERTY keyboard and advanced features.  I hate cell phone contracts....the whole thing seems like such a gimmick.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Like I said. Go with the G1 phone from T-Mobile. E-mail access, attachments, internet, and a full qwerty keyboard.

And cell phone contracts aren't the gimmick, the PHONES are the gimmick to lock you into the contract.

Example, when I got my phone they checked my credit and found that I was a risky customer, they told me I'd have to pay a large security deposit.

I said no, and instead of losing out on another contract, they gave me the phone for FREE. I paid the security deposit, and ended up with a brand new, free, 100 dollar phone. I got my security deposit back this year too, so it was actually a free phone.

They don't care what phone you buy, they want to lock you into a contract because then they own your butt for 2 years.

Look at it this way. An iPhone 3G starts at 199. I assume that the monthly cost is about 99 dollars for unlimited calling, text, etc. Why should they care how much they charge for the phone (or don't charge, in my case) when they have you signing a contract for 2300 dollars?

Phones are definitely the gimmicks, without them nobody would dare sign away 2000+ dollars.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have clarified.  I just don't like the idea of any contracts with cell phones or cell phone companies in general.  Other companies (cable, etc.) survive without contracts by way of competition.

I should have mentioned we have the Dash by T-Mobile and have many features you've mentioned (QWERTY, e-mail, camera, etc.), but just need to ramp it up for business use.  We've seen demos of the G1, and the sliding cover won't work for us.  Reminds us too much of the old Sidekicks our kids used to have, and we don't find that convenient for easy access.  I can see that some would really like that nifty slide style, but it just isn't for us.

We love the Apple iPhone keypad.  Our DD has an iTouch for music and apps and we love the style and features, similar to the iPhone in many ways. 

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I bought the Touch because I just don't need the always on connection. It does everything the iphone does except camera and GPS when I am at home or at work. If I traveled a lot it might be worth giving the cell company an extra $40 a month, but not for me right now. I am very happy with the Touch and my little cellphone for calls. As a side beny the Touch has much better battery life since its not driving a phone as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i have the iPhone and yep, you must get AT&T service in order to get the iPhone.  I wish wish wish wish that Apple had gone with Verizon but oh well.  If you do get one, at least you'll be getting the new version which is 3G.  I have the older EDGE network version which is hella slow when I'm not on a WiFi but I still love it.  The typing you do have to get used to, there's a bit of a trick to it (I have medium-length nails) but there are soooooooo many cool things about it I don't care.  Now there are lots of new models from other companies that are very similar to the iPhone with the exception of the App store, so think about what you really want out of a cellphone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
sharyn said:
Well, if you text a lot, you won't like the iPhone. The keypad is awful. Even with short fingernails, I'm constantly hitting the wrong keys (they're very small, and you have to touch them with the pad of your finger, not the nail), plus the built-in "correcter" often changes my words to something I didn't intend.
I found the same to be true with the Blackberry Storm. I returned mine and got the Blackberry Pearl. The keys are a little small but it is a hundred times better than what I was experiencing with the Storm for texting/ email.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love my iphone, but I did have to switch to AT&T when most of my family is on Sprint.  At least AT&T has rollover minutes which helps.  The keyboard doesn't bother me now but it did take a little while to get used to.  I also have a macbook pro so being able to sync the two is great.  If I change something in iCal or Address book it will get updated automatically.  Some of the apps are pretty amazing too.  I feel like I have a mini computer with me all the time which is very convenient.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
sharyn said:
Well, if you text a lot, you won't like the iPhone. The keypad is awful. Even with short fingernails, I'm constantly hitting the wrong keys (they're very small, and you have to touch them with the pad of your finger, not the nail), plus the built-in "correcter" often changes my words to something I didn't intend.

It's a pain.

Sharyn
My daughter has the iPhone and loves it. She has no problem with the keypad, in fact she thinks it's very easy to use. She also mentioned the "corrector" and that it changed words to things you didn't want. But, she said it fixed words where you hit the wrong key, she thought it was more of a help than an hindrance. And there are a lot of games and other software for it.

But I think AT&T sucks. Sucks really big! I have many more dropped calls and no signal than I did when I had Verizon. I've experienced places in Minnesota, S. Dakota, N. Dakota, and Montana where we have no signal on our AT&T phones, but people with other providers do have a signal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts