Kindle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After staring at the Kindle page on Amazon.com since K1 was first introduced and lingering in the discussion group there and here, I stepped up and placed an order for a K2.  Now I am trying to figure out how to continue reading my favorite living authors on this new device.

Has anyone else been able to share a Kindle account among strangers?  If a group of readers with the same taste can reach an agreement and an ebook can be downloaded to six Ks, shouldn't there be some way to make this work to spread the cost?  Other than the danger of credit card abuse, what are the other dangers?

Can the credit card use be held in check by having a low limit on the credit card on the account?  Has anyone been unable to download a book because their card was maxed out?

Can the account be funded only by prepaid cards with no credit card on file?

Once a Kindle has been registered on an account, can it be unregistered by someone that does not have physical access to it?

Is there any way to tell what reader purchased a book?  Is there any way to tell if another reader has downloaded a book?

Thanks to all that have come before me for making the Kindle so irresistible.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In order...
  • I doubt anyone's shared with strangers, it's just asking for trouble
  • You could set up a rotary to buy the books but there's no way to 'split' the cost of a book
  • Some but likely minor, it depends on how much you're attached to your account and buy history
  • You can use whatever credit card you want
  • I tried to purchase (via Kindle) 2 books (at 3am, no less, damn Brent Weeks and his writing talent!) and was able to purchase one and not the other. My credit-card company (being the asshats they are) decided that I'd purchased too many things recently and that the card MUST have stolen so they put a 'hold' on it ('cause, ya know, the first thing someone buys with a stolen CC is $2.97 worth of music from iTunes and ~$14 of Kindle books ::) ) even though this is my normal purchasing behavior. ANYway, yes, I've been unable to purchase b/c the CC company refused to process the charge, though not from being maxed out.
  • I think you can enter cards real-time and not have them saved...but I'm not 100% sure of that.
  • Yes, anyone with access to the account (and you have to have access to the account to buy books) can deregister any registered Kindle from the "Manager your Kindle" page. And DRM follows the account not the Kindle so the deregistered Kindle waves bye-bye to all the books it once had. If you never turn your wireless on, you're prolly ok, but once you do: blamo. You're making a long-term investment by sharing-in on an account and kindle books.
  • You might be able to tell by what CC was used but basically the Account buys the items so there's no sub-differentiation.
  • No way I've found to tell which Kindle a book has been sent to.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'd never share my Kindle account with strangers, or even people on this board (even though I like everyone here and don't think anyone would actually pull anything - mainly because if they get compromised, so would I). You just never know.

BTW...

V said:
  • I tried to purchase (via Kindle) 2 books (at 3am, no less, damn Brent Weeks and his writing talent!) and was able to purchase one and not the other. My credit-card company (being the asshats they are) decided that I'd purchased too many things recently and that the card MUST have stolen so they put a 'hold' on it ('cause, ya know, the first thing someone buys with a stolen CC is $2.97 worth of music from iTunes and ~$14 of Kindle books ::) ) even though this is my normal purchasing behavior. ANYway, yes, I've been unable to purchase b/c the CC company refused to process the charge, though not from being maxed out.
Just buy yourself gift cards every month and get your Kindle books through that. Much easier to budget yourself and your idiotic credit company won't be on your back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts