Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Depends on how many of their 160,000 followers are actually readers and not bots, which--and I'm going out on a limb here--I'm guessing won't be that many.

I wouldn't say it's dodgy, just pointless compared to other marketing ideas you could invest in.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
If you want to spend money on Twitter, spend it on some tools that'll help you build a better and larger following. There are a number of them out there, but I use Tweet Adder (best investment I've ever made, except for Scrivener), and have also used ManageFlitter and some others. And don't be taken in buy any service or person that promises a bazillion followers: build your own following over time. That's the only real way to do it.

And it's true that Twitter is a lousy place to sell books - but it's a *great* place to give books (or samples) away free to help introduce people to your work.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Twitter is Traffic and has to be worked at everyday, some of it is good some of it just fake
i think like facebook and other social networks you need to know what you want from it sales ? brand awareness ? or something
else. as for using software to get followers twitter does not like agressive following and removing and will spank you
It takes time and effort

Anthony

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
If it was, say, Bookbub, then that $50 to go to 160,000 followers would be well-spent since they do an amazing job of targeting. But in general, no, I don't think it would be the best use of your money.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
If it was, say, Bookbub, then that $50 to go to 160,000 followers would be well-spent since they do an amazing job of targeting. But in general, no, I don't think it would be the best use of your money.
Me either, FWIW.

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
3,523 Posts
I took a quick look at their followers (first page) and the bulk were authors. Lost my interest, since I'm always looking for paid advertising opportunities to promote my book.

If you write thrillers and their followers where readers/fans of thrillers, I would say that's a heck of a deal. But not sure on this one. Spend a few minutes looking through their followers. If you continue to see authors and other followers who wouldn't be interested in your book, it's not worth it.

The quality of the follower is better than the quantity, especially for $50.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Alan Petersen said:
The quality of the follower is better than the quantity, especially for $50.
This. If the majority of their followers are just other authors, you're not reaching anyone really. You might as well just tweet it out yourself and save the $50.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. Thanks. I'm crap with Twitter so was just checking. I should use that $50 on my cell phone bill to be honest.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
The answer to your question would be a resounding NO. Because they're probably bots and people not interested in books.

I also want to furiously dispute the claims upthread that followers who are "just other authors" are worth nothing. I don't know where people get this idea that there is this clear divide between authors and this magical entity called "readers".

The vast majority of people who attempt to write also love reading books. Authors ARE readers. OK, there are readers who are not authors, but I think that if you want to spread the word, lovers of your genre is a very good place to start.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I saw that twitter site and didn't even consider it. Imho, a better way to spend $50 would be on the sites that have targeted mailing lists, eg Bookbub etc.

For me, Twitter is a good place to connect with fans rather than sell to new readers. I do tweet out my books (especially when I have a promo going like today), but it works better as a place to hang out and show your human side. And if a few people check out my books as a consequence of a self-deprecating tweet, then great  :D

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
This. The number of people Tweeted means little to me. I'd want to know what kind of people they're Tweeting to. Are they real people or cardboard accounts? Are they readers or Twitter spammers? Have they indicated an interest in book related news or is this service just link spamming people who are going to be POed?

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
3,523 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
The answer to your question would be a resounding NO. Because they're probably bots and people not interested in books.

I also want to furiously dispute the claims upthread that followers who are "just other authors" are worth nothing. I don't know where people get this idea that there is this clear divide between authors and this magical entity called "readers".

The vast majority of people who attempt to write also love reading books. Authors ARE readers. OK, there are readers who are not authors, but I think that if you want to spread the word, lovers of your genre is a very good place to start.
I don't think anyone said it's worthless, just not worth $50. It's across generes, not just authors. My book is a political thriller, I wouldn't be interested in paying to tweet to thousands of chemists either. It's all about the followers. The more targeted the better.

If it's thousands of authors of political thrillers, then sure, that's has my attention. Paying $50 to tweet to a hodgepodge of other authors in varying genres, just doesn't seem worth it. There are a lot of better ways to spend your money.

Now, if you're a book cover designer or editor, then that promo (tweet to thousands of authors) makes more sense. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts