Kindle Forum banner

What type of kindleboards member are you?

  • I'm a reader. I have no writing aspirations whatsoever.

    Votes: 127 62.3%
  • I'm an aspiring author. My first work is still in progress.

    Votes: 16 7.8%
  • I'm an author. I have at least one published work for sale somewhere.

    Votes: 61 29.9%
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see what percentage of kindleboards members are JUST readers.  Authors here will get hassled for never venturing outside the writer's cafe in an attempt to reach the readers.  The moderators here have insisted many times that there are more readers than writers.  I want to call their bluff  ;D

So... vote away!  And yes, I know, writers are readers too. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
<--- Just a reader.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
I'm a reader but I wish I was talented in writing. I have no imagination for a story and haven't written anything since college (over 20 years ago).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
Alain Gomez said:
The moderators here have insisted many times that there are more readers than writers. I want to call their bluff ;D
Alain--

LOL! I can't speak for the other mods, but I don't bluff! ;)

Some numbers for you:

KindleBoards has nearly 44,000 members. Extrapolating from a survey of half the approximately 6200 threads in the Book Bazaar, there are roughly 2500 authors with book threads. Even allowing for not all authors having book threads....the numbers really aren't in your favor.

But, don't slink away! Join the party! There are bound to be some topics that you'd enjoy posting in!

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,391 Posts
Of course, it's possible that authors are more likely to write on forums while readers are more likely just to read, so maybe that accounts for the perceived abundance of writers? ;) ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,404 Posts
This is why I keep telling you authors to come out of the cafe and bazaar. If you only associate with other writers, you're preaching to the choir.  But remember, us "readers" come here to talk to other kindle owners and don't really want to just be seen as customers.  Come, be part of the community and we're more likely to look at your book bazaar posts then if all you're doing is posting about your sales numbers in the cafe.

Oh, and Alain, I'm not a moderator, but I've been here a while, and as Betsy said, we don't bluff about membership, we see it and we know it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Alain--

LOL! I can't speak for the other mods, but I don't bluff! ;)

Some numbers for you:

KindleBoards has nearly 44,000 members. Extrapolating from a survey of half the approximately 6200 threads in the Book Bazaar, there are roughly 2500 authors with book threads. Even allowing for not all authors having book threads....the numbers really aren't in your favor.

But, don't slink away! Join the party! There are bound to be some topics that you'd enjoy posting in!

Betsy
Lol. Well I knew that there were readers. But I just assumed that everyone in the book corner were just the same people in the writer's cafe talking about books. I needed proof! I will now change my screen name to doubting thomas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NogDog said:
Of course, it's possible that authors are more likely to write on forums while readers are more likely just to read, so maybe that accounts for the perceived abundance of writers? ;) ;D
Riiiight... just like how writers are supposed to be writing all the time.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,404 Posts
No, in the book corner, it's readers talking about books to be read or what kind of books they like.

In the cafe, it's authors talking about sales and craft and stuff.  A number of us readers (I speak for myself and some friends) actually avoid the cafe because we're not interested in how many books people have sold this month, or how to get your books up on smashwords or kobo or nook....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
scarlet said:
This is why I keep telling you authors to come out of the cafe and bazaar. If you only associate with other writers, you're preaching to the choir. But remember, us "readers" come here to talk to other kindle owners and don't really want to just be seen as customers. Come, be part of the community and we're more likely to look at your book bazaar posts then if all you're doing is posting about your sales numbers in the cafe.
Ugh... it's so bright out here though...

scarlet said:
Oh, and Alain, I'm not a moderator, but I've been here a while, and as Betsy said, we don't bluff about membership, we see it and we know it.
Well, what I was actually curious about active membership which is why I wanted to poll this area. It's like when you're at a baseball game they say 50,000 in attendance! But that is really just reflective of the number of tickets sold, not how many are there. But I am fully prepared to see the error of my ways and admit that the book corner is a different crowd from the writer's cafe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,404 Posts
Alain Gomez said:
Ugh... it's so bright out here though...
Yeah, but we have chocolate. And ice cream. And we share.....

Oh, and btw, I sort of object to the all caps word in your thread title. I'm not JUST anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
I've always found that there are tons of lurkers on-line.  While authors are posting away, I think a lot of readers, well, are reading.  They're watching and seeing the community.
I think you bring up a good point, though, that I need to think about.  Too often we're addressing ourselves to other authors, rather than to readers.  The questions is:  what topics do readers want to discuss?  What would they like to know from authors, other than getting bombarded with promo? 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,404 Posts
Bob Mayer said:
I've always found that there are tons of lurkers on-line. While authors are posting away, I think a lot of readers, well, are reading. They're watching and seeing the community.
I think you bring up a good point, though, that I need to think about. Too often we're addressing ourselves to other authors, rather than to readers. The questions is: what topics do readers want to discuss? What would they like to know from authors, other than getting bombarded with promo?
We want you to come and post on the threads outside the cafe and bazaar. Look around, I'm sure you'll find something to talk about.

But as has been said other times, do not simply use it as a way to mention your book. We want to know YOU, not the book.

Please, click on the Not Quite Kindle board, the photo boards, intinst's infinity thread....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
scarlet said:
In the cafe, it's authors talking about sales and craft and stuff. A number of us readers (I speak for myself and some friends) actually avoid the cafe because we're not interested in how many books people have sold this month, or how to get your books up on smashwords or kobo or nook....
Eh. It's addicting, what can I say?
 
1 - 20 of 116 Posts
Top