Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have problems with small electronics if they are too light/thin. I also have problems with small buttons. If an electronic has some heft to it I can hold it longer but if its light like the K2 I would have to brace it up against the table/desk which ,for me, ruins the whole point of a kindle.

Its great they added voice to text for the visually impaired but for some disabled people like me they took a step back  :'(

So if anyone has similar problems like I do with my hands PLEASE post a review when you receive it.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
It's a really good question.

I wonder if it is very much like holding a pad of paper, only lighter.

For some people, that thinness might be a problem. One thing I do like, is there is more surface area to grab on to. On my first-gen Kindle (I still love it, don't get me wrong), I have to "aim" where I'm going to hold it. That has become automatic, and I don't mind it... but it looks like it has been addressed in K2.

I'm really like to know, too, how well it works with people who have hand ailments or disabilities.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harvey said:
It's a really good question.

I wonder if it is very much like holding a pad of paper, only lighter.

For some people, that thinness might be a problem. One thing I do like, is there is more surface area to grab on to. On my first-gen Kindle (I still love it, don't get me wrong), I have to "aim" where I'm going to hold it. That has become automatic, and I don't mind it... but it looks like it has been addressed in K2.

I'm really like to know, too, how well it works with people who have hand ailments or disabilities.
If its as heavy as say one of those shopping list pads you put on your fridge then it would be ok, not great and I'd have to take breaks to rest my hand/wrist.

Another issue is the buttons. I know from the dark side (amazon's boards) that there are paralyzed k1 owners who use 'head pointers' to push the buttons. Since they change the buttons and the next page button I wonder if it will be ok for them?

I just wish they offered a choice of the K1 or K2. I am going to have to really baby Phoebe now!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
There will probably be a lot of K1s for sale for people that don't want the K2 because of disabilities.  And they can probably get them for a pretty good price, well at least less expensive than a brand new kindle.  8)  I have less should problems with reading on my K1 and not going to take any chances at all with a K2 .  ;)

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
My guess is that the K2 will work fine for people with hand issues when you add the cover. I know that M-Edge has a K2 Cover with a stand that would work well for people with hand problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts