Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
John D. Patten said:
Ohhhhhhhh... smacking myself in the head here. I had a complete misconception of the four week rule. I equated a submission to a title. But if it's a different price point for the same title, it's a completely different submission. You just increased my chances substantially. Thank you! :D
As far as I can tell, you were correct originally. From the Bookbub website:

Question: How soon can I resubmit if my book wasn't selected?

Answer: You can resubmit your book again four weeks after your original submission.
If you submitted your book for a discounted feature and are interested in resubmitting it for a free feature, you're welcome to resubmit right away. Our editors consider free deals separately from discounted deals, so there's no need to wait four weeks in this case.

Edit: I see now we are saying the same thing. Like Wayne said, you can change price to free and resubmit.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
It has to be in the right order, though. Discounted first, then free. Once it's rejected at free, you have to wait four weeks before submitting that book again. Otherwise, BookBub's submissions would go up 28 times over each day. But you can submit a different book that same day. I have 15 in my main series to choose from, but have never submitted the latest eight books, just the first seven.

Seven books, twice each, with an average two day turnaround for acceptance or rejection is 28 days, then I start over.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wayne Stinnett said:
It has to be in the right order, though. Discounted first, then free. Once it's rejected at free, you have to wait four weeks before submitting that book again. Otherwise, BookBub's submissions would go up 28 times over each day. But you can submit a different book that same day. I have 15 in my main series to choose from, but have never submitted the latest eight books, just the first seven.

Seven books, twice each, with an average two day turnaround for acceptance or rejection is 28 days, then I start over.
Thanks for the clarification. "Technology!" says me shaking my head.

·
Registered
934 Posts
BookBub is still worth it. I had a featured deal on my scifi novel Terminus this past Sunday and, in addition to other things, got this for my trouble:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #231 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Space Exploration Science Fiction eBooks
#1 in Exploration Science Fiction
#1 in Colonization Science Fiction eBooks

So yeah - worth it.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I've submitted for a free deal, been rejected, resubmitted for a 99 cent deal immediately, and been accepted. The two are considered separately for each title. Doesn't matter which order you submit them in. Free first or 99 cent first. But I do think 99 cent/$1.99/$2.99 are all considered by the same team so only two submissions per title per month. One for free, one for a discounted price.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Are international-only and US-only considered separate streams? i.e. if you have an international only deal for a book, you can then submit the same one for the US as soon as you want? (Or vice versa.)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It depends. A standalone wide book with no audio? Maybe not. A standalone KU book with or without audio? At 99-cents, yes! A free wide book that is first in series? Heck yes! A wide book that is 99-cents and is a first in series ... sure.

·
Registered
800 Posts
BB is definitely still worthwhile, though, as Wayne said upthread, the # of downloads seems to have diminished, at least in the Action/Adventure and Mystery/Thriller/Suspense cats. However, if your read-through is good, the financial return is going to be the same or higher relative to the # of downloads, even on the same book. I'm very fortunate in that my read-through is very high, and I have a pretty sizable backlist of my main series (11 books and 2 novellas at the moment) so even though my download #s have decreased in the last year, my income relative to downloads hasn't gone down at the same rate. For instance, in June 2017 I had my most successful featured deal in terms of # of downloads. It was for the boxed set of the first four books of the series, and it resulted in 67,000 downloads. My income for that month was just over $55,000. Exactly one year later, in June 2018, I had the same deal on the same boxed set. I only got 43,000 downloads, but my income for that month was just over $49,000. So, about 25% fewer downloads, but not 25% less financial return. Good luck on your first BB deal. It's a ton of fun to watch those downloads for the first time. Don't plan on working much.

·
Registered
800 Posts
jackconnerbooks said:
I've had two Bookbubs, but the lastest one was a few years ago. Since they've started taking mainly wide entries, I haven't had a feature.

Is there anyone here that is KU-only that has been accepted lately?
I'm exclusive and always have been. I've gotten the three BB deals I've applied for this year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
DEAD SHOT is getting the BookBub promo treatment at this very moment. I'm not seeing the heady numbers Dawn quoted (yet) but I assume mileage varies. I'm currently sneaking up on breaking even, which for me is HUGE. None of my other (non BB) promos have performed anywhere near as well.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
ShaneCarrow said:
Are international-only and US-only considered separate streams? i.e. if you have an international only deal for a book, you can then submit the same one for the US as soon as you want? (Or vice versa.)
Yes, they are completely separate. A book in international only can be resubmitted for a US only, but the US only deal is decidedly harder to get accepted.

I've had two international only deals this year. They're inexpensive, compared to the US deal, but to be honest, not nearly as effective. With both of the ones I accepted, I saw no positive return. At least nothing measurable. I don't think either earned back the investment. I don't mind paying extra for US and international, since it's more likely to be accepted, but I'll politely decline the next international only offer.

jackconnerbooks said:
I've had two Bookbubs, but the lastest one was a few years ago. Since they've started taking mainly wide entries, I haven't had a feature.

All my books are and always have been in KU and I've had numerous BookBub features. What's cool about a KU book that's free on BB, is the number of people who borrow through KU, instead of downloading for free. Every free BB I've had, has had the book return to the paid store at a significantly higher rank. That's all through borrows.

·
Registered
934 Posts
jackconnerbooks said:

My BookBub in July was for a book in KU.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wayne Stinnett said:
Yes, they are completely separate. A book in international only can be resubmitted for a US only, but the US only deal is decidedly harder to get accepted.
Yup, I just resubmitted my box set that recently went international-only and left a note apologising if it was in violation - but just got a boilerplate rejection. And I know they do bother to tell you if your book was rejected for a different reason, because that's how I realised my recent vampire novel scrapes about ten pages short of being considered a "novel" by Bookbub...

·
Registered
15 Posts
DawnLee said:
I'm exclusive and always have been. I've gotten the three BB deals I've applied for this year.
Nice! :D

Any tips for achieving such a high acceptance rate? I had a BookBub in February which blew my mind (not to mention my bank account :p), but I've racked up nine rejections since. I can't submit again for two more weeks and at that time I will implement Wayne's strategy next time of discounted, then free, etc. But is there anything you do that I may not be doing that you might be willing to recommend?

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
John D. Patten said:

Any tips for achieving such a high acceptance rate? I had a BookBub in February which blew my mind (not to mention my bank account :p), but I've racked up nine rejections since. I can't submit again for two more weeks and at that time I will implement Wayne's strategy next time of discounted, then free, etc. But is there anything you do that I may not be doing that you might be willing to recommend?
Only nine rejections since February. I think I found your problem. I usually get more rejections than that every month. The more times you apply, the greater the chance of being selected. BookBub won't feature the same author more than once in a month. I had one on July 21st, so I won't be applying again until August 21st. But from that day forward, BookBub will be considering one of my books every day until they accept one. Every...single...rejection...is immediately followed by a new application.

·
Registered
800 Posts
John D. Patten said:

Hi John. I wish I did have some idea why I've been fortunate with BB acceptances, but I honestly don't. I sometimes wonder if it's actually because I apply so infrequently.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.