Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really surprised!  Can someone enlighten me?  I have a child ready to read these books, but they aren't available for Kindle, right? 

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I have a lot of Harry Potter books already.  Some are in mobi files and others are in other formats that are easy to convert.

I haven't read any of them though since I am not a fan of Harry Potters. I am not even sure where I got them from, but picked them up from someone as part of a collection.

Someone probably scanned the books and they got on line that way.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Isn't that surprising?  With all the brilliant marketing the HP Empire has done, it seems like the ball is being dropped here.  I think the series (books, not movies) is wonderful and would like to start from the beginning and reread them, but I will not until they are kindlized.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
mooshie78 said:
They aren't in any e-book format yet. The author didn't want to put out e-books. But I do think I read a couple weeks back that she'd changed her mind and will let them come out sometime in the future. But I don't recall a date.
There is no date. All that's ever been said about it is that they are "considering the possibility" of making them available as ebooks - or something to that effect.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
NapCat said:
Isn't that surprising? With all the brilliant marketing the HP Empire has done, it seems like the ball is being dropped here. I think the series (books, not movies) is wonderful and would like to start from the beginning and reread them, but I will not until they are kindlized.
The author has always said she is a book "purist." Seems a little silly to me when she allowed them to be made into audio books and movies (of dubious quality). I have bought so many different versions of these books (yeah, I'm a huge HP nerd) so its really annoying to me that I can't get them in the format I want. I like to read them on vacation- it'd be nice to not have to bring 7 big volumes!

I also heard they were being "considered" for ebook publishing, hope it turns out to be true!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
When people say this is a huge opportunity, I always think, "That Rowling doesn't need." Sure, the great unwashed -- myself included -- thinks of all the bazillions she would make, but if anyone on the planet has F.U. money, it's her. While I disagree with her decision, I understand why the things that motivate most of us don't factor into her thought processes. She doesn't need the money, and she doesn't need the exposure. If she has some philosophical issue with eBooks, she has the advantages to stand firm on not allowing it and to be as much of a Luddite as she wants.

Even though a Kindle is totally a magic book out of Harry Potter. :D

(Although I've heard the same rumors that she might be changing her mind.)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
MichelleR said:
Even though a Kindle is totally a magic book out of Harry Potter. :D
I've always thought the same thing. An electronic book that can display any book you want at any time is totally something out of Harry's world. So odd that Rowling looks down on it.

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
Sam Rivers said:
I have a lot of Harry Potter books already. Some are in mobi files and others are in other formats that are easy to convert.

I haven't read any of them though since I am not a fan of Harry Potters. I am not even sure where I got them from, but picked them up from someone as part of a collection.

Someone probably scanned the books and they got on line that way.
They are certainly illegal copies.

As others have said, the author has not yet authorized e-book versions of the novels, though the report is that she's considering reversing that stance.

·
Registered
539 Posts
As far as I can tell, Scholastic Books (U.S. Publisher of HP) has stayed out of the ebook market, so even if Rowling authorizes ebook editions, it's not clear if they'll be available here.

(which is fine, I'll try to get them from Carlsen, the German Publisher)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
There are definitely illegal copies out there. You can find almost any book that 'isn't available in ebook format.'

DYB said:
I've always thought the same thing. An electronic book that can display any book you want at any time is totally something out of Harry's world. So odd that Rowling looks down on it.
I've always thought that too. Just think of the ad campaign they could have!

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
Idea:

So, nook and Kobo (and maybe even Kindle) are coming out with new e-readers featuring a 'touch' technology. Sony has had it for a while. The key is that it is not a technology that needs a finger -- you can use any object you want because it's infrared and not dependent on your finger tip completing a circuit.

In the past, Sony has released, for example, James Patterson branded readers -- cost a little more, has a bunch of his books pre-loaded, and a themed cover.

So: Harry Potter eReader. Pre-loaded with all 7 titles. Cover looks like the Monster Book of Monsters, A History of Hogwarts, or some other standard text. AND . . . .it comes with a miniature wand -- could even be designed to look like the wands used in the movies -- which can be used as a stylus to turn pages, etc. Would sell like the proverbial hotcakes! :D

G

·
Ann in Arlington said:
Idea:

So, nook and Kobo (and maybe even Kindle) are coming out with new e-readers featuring a 'touch' technology. Sony has had it for a while. The key is that it is not a technology that needs a finger -- you can use any object you want because it's infrared and not dependent on your finger tip completing a circuit.

In the past, Sony has released, for example, James Patterson branded readers -- cost a little more, has a bunch of his books pre-loaded, and a themed cover.

So: Harry Potter eReader. Pre-loaded with all 7 titles. Cover looks like the Monster Book of Monsters, A History of Hogwarts, or some other standard text. AND . . . .it comes with a miniature wand -- could even be designed to look like the wands used in the movies -- which can be used as a stylus to turn pages, etc. Would sell like the proverbial hotcakes! :D
That would be incredibly awesome! There's no way I could resist this. I can already feel the money leaving my wallet. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
MichelleR said:
She doesn't need the money, and she doesn't need the exposure. If she has some philosophical issue with eBooks, she has the advantages to stand firm on not allowing it and to be as much of a Luddite as she wants.
I think she's something of a Luddite. It definitely seeps into her books. Even though it's set in contemporary London, Dudley (who we're supposed to dislike) is the only character who has all of the devices we associate with modern life:two televisions, computers, video games. It is also mentioned again and again, particulary in the later books, that electronics and wireless devices do not work at Hogwarts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Yes, please.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts