Kindle Forum banner

Do You Believe that Mary was a virgin and Jesus was born divine?

• I'm not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
KJ-

Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your book!

KindleBoards is a Kindle fan and reader forum. As you browse KindleBoards, keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed in the Book Bazaar. (I've moved your post from the Writers' Cafe to the Book Bazaar, so you're good! :))

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then. You may modify the latest post to reflect new information.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
KJ-

You may certainly have  your blurb here. The content you post to your book thread is entirely up to you, except that we request that you not bump the thread by the use of the word "bump" or by just an emoticon, etc, per Forum Decorum.

It's in your best interest to make your bumps as interesting as possible.  I have bought books here just because I enjoyed the author's posts in their book threads.

Betsy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK.  Right after Columbine I went to church and the priest blamed the shooting on abortions being legal.  He claimed that after Roe vs. Wade, there had been a deterioration of the sanctity of life culminating with the school shooting.  I was stunned, but he received an ovation.  That's when the wheels started turning and I started thinking about writing SPKG.

Is anyone as appalled by that as I was?  I wonder if that same priest believed that 9/11 happened because abortions are legal.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
KJ Kron said:
Is anyone as appalled by that as I was?
That's disgusting. Without getting too political, religious figures like that are what's driving people away from the church. :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely!  I complete understand that people have their own POV about abortion - I don't want to argue that.  But if you believe in the "right to life", don't you find that connection absurd?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
KJ Kron said:
Any opinions on whether Christianity should change?
No, there is no need to change Christianity because there is no need for Christianity. Why replace the plumbing on an old house when the structure is flawed and crumbling beyond repair.

I would like to say that the people who blame tragedy and misfortunes on the lifestyles and personal choices of other folks are laughable buffoons, but they still have a lot of truck in politics and culture -- that is disturbing. But I do think their time will come to an end eventually, especially as they become more vocal and alienating to everyone outside their belief circle. Who would want to be part of a faith that says Japan was recently punished by God for it's sins.

It would be better to present how a life can be fulfilling and ethical without attempting to change the Church of a 2,000 year old Jewish Apocalyptic Prophet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
KJ Kron said:
Any opinions on whether Christianity should change?
It's people that need to change. They need to stop blaming God, or crediting Him for things that have absolutely nothing to do with God. I could go on and on and on......but its nearly bedtime here in New Zealand and I wont have a good sleep if I get all riled up!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tessa Apa said:
It's people that need to change. They need to stop blaming God, or crediting Him for things that have absolutely nothing to do with God. I could go on and on and on......but its nearly bedtime here in New Zealand and I wont have a good sleep if I get all riled up!
I agree that people need to stop blaming and crediting God. That's one reason why Father Peter says in my book that Christianity should change - it was created almost 2,000 years ago when we thought the world was flat - we've come along way. But what do you think?

·
Registered
343 Posts
KJ Kron said:
I agree that people need to stop blaming and crediting God. That's one reason why Father Peter says in my book that Christianity should change - it was created almost 2,000 years ago when we thought the world was flat - we've come along way. But what do you think?
And yet the principles of Christianity are timeless. Human knowledge and technology may have advanced, but humanity hasn't changed.

G

·
KJ Kron said:
*Sigh*

No, we didn't think the world was flat. Pythagoras established the spherical Earth in 300 BC. Much of the discussion in the early church regarding spherical versus flat earth was on a metaphysical level...they weren't arguing science, but theology and symbolism.

The problem with modern Christianity is that it forgot that Christ spoke in parables, not statistics and historical facts. Too many people read the Bible as a literal historic document. Saying the Bible is irrelevent because it was written thousands of years ago also invalidates Socrates, Homer, Aristotle, and the bulk of classical literature. Let's just level the pryamids and put up a theme park...I suppose anything made thousands of years ago is unimportant today.

The issue is not Christianity, or any religion. The issue is the handful of people who use it as a weapon, and the lazy thinkers who allow others to think for them instead of studying their Holy Text IN THE CONTEXT of the time they were written to develop a full picture.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
What do I think?
I think that a vigorous conversation about a major religion will attract people to a thread and perhaps cause them to decide to read and find out just what did "Father Peter say".
One needs to market.

I find myself agreeing with you Julie.  The important problem with modern day Christianity is those making public pronouncements (regardless of the condition of their own soul) related to other people being "punished by God" here in this life.  It is not an act of loving-your-neighbor to say such things about the Japanese tragedies or the terrible misfortune in Haiti.  And those who made such statements should "search their souls". 

And indeed, we cannot understand ourselves if we do not understand the thoughts and beliefs that came before us and helped to shape who and what we are today.

Yep - I think I am in total agreement with your statements.

Just sayin.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
geoffthomas said:
And indeed, we cannot understand ourselves if we do not understand the thoughts and beliefs that came before us and helped to shape who and what we are today.
If that is true, then isn't it true that we should study Christianity (as Julie was saying) in the context that it was written (historically and what not) and follow it?

Father Peter would agree with you Julie - the Bible is written in parables and methaphors and not meant to be taken literally. It's not irrelevant, but my point was a lot of the mysteries of that time are no longer mysteries - and religion helped answer those unanswerable questions. I used the world being flat as an emample. I could have said the advent of psychology or astronomy for example.

Connie - for the most part, Father Peter would agree with you, but not every priniciple of Christianity.

G

·
KJ Kron said:
Father Peter would agree with you ***** -
Really? Then why launch the thread with a deliberately inflamatory title and start the discussion with a blatant attempt at controversy? You invoked the abortion issue for the sole reason of grabbing eyeballs. And yes, while it is prefectly legal to do so, that does not make it any less repugnant.

I have not clicked on the link to your book. Nor will I. I don't respond well to fake controversy and the deliberate misrepresentation of facts in order to sell books. And I am someone who is probably in your target market, as I read extensively on matters of mytho-poetic literature. Until "Father Peter" can demonstrate to me he isn't just some two-bit sideshow charlatan trying to mooch free publicity by trolling about Christianity, I could care less what he does or does not agree with.

And in case anyone doesn't already know, I'm not even Christian. I'm a practicing witch and pagan. I just find attacking any religion in order to sell books insulting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
Really? Then why launch the thread with a deliberately inflamatory title and start the discussion with a blatant attempt at controversy? You invoked the abortion issue for the sole reason of grabbing eyeballs. And yes, while it is prefectly legal to do so, that does not make it any less repugnant.

Until "Father Peter" can demonstrate to me he isn't just some two-bit sideshow charlatan trying to mooch free publicity by trolling about Christianity, I could care less what he does or does not agree with.

I just find attacking any religion in order to sell books insulting.
Wow, Julie, I didn't mean to create such a response from you. The thread is titled - "Should Christiainity Change?" which is pretty much what Father Peter is trying to do - change Christianity. How is this "inflamatory title" designed to do anything other than express what Father Peter is all about?

The abortion issue was something that I heard in a actual mass. If it catches eyeballs, that's the point - because it actually happened. It was gross and it got me thinking about writing this book. Is it wrong to put where my ideas came from here?

I don't know if I agree with you totally or not - only what I could gather from what you wrote - which seemed to make sense - it was clever and well thought out. Why do you take such offense when someone agrees with you or compliments you?

G

·
KJ Kron said:
I don't know if I agree with you totally or not - only what I could gather from what you wrote - which seemed to make sense - it was clever and well thought out. Why do you take such offense when someone agrees with you or compliments you?
Because the alleged agreement contradicts what you are saying in this thread. Nothing in my posts indicates I think there is a fundamental problem with Christian faith, but rather the abuses of it by a portion of the public. You say this character would agree with me, and yet , essentially you wrote a book that Christianity has to "change" based on a single sermon you heard from some fundamentalist. One, I don't even know which branch of Christianity you are talking about? Catholics? Protestants? Mormons? Evangelicals? Episcopalians? Methodists? Which one are you seeking to "change?" They all approach the Bible differently. You haven't offered any clarification on if you are speaking with a broad brush and condemning the entire belief system, or if you are responding to a minority belief within the whole. You keep saying Father Peter would "agree" with various posters who are essentially arguing against the very premise of your book, while not offering any clear explanation of WHAT is suppose to be changed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ahh, I see your point.  But here's mine - Father Peter would agree with most of things that you said - that people need to take stories in the Bible in historical contest AND believe that Christianity needs to change.  So he would agree with you, but take it further.

I was talking about a Catholic mass.  IMHO, other demoninations don't fair any better.  I know some liberal denominations that DO try to take the Bible in context, which is a little better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts