Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never leave home without my trusted Kindle, but have never taken it out of my purse at the bookstore for fear that if I do it would anger the staff since my purchase would be from Amazon instead of their bookstore. What exactly is the proper etiquette in this case? Would it be alright to take it out or would it be rude to do so? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would say not rude if:

1. You're pulling it out to cost compare a book, it may lead to a sale for them (book not available in Kindle format, or their sale price is lower then the Amazon store, or you're looking for reviews).
2. You're reading in the coffee shop. 
3. You're there for an author reading or book group.

Rude would be:

1. Walking around the store reading and knocking into people.
2. Pulling it out and waving it around going "GO TO AMAZON PEOPLE!  THE KINDLE IS THE WAY AND THE LIGHT!"
3. Standing by the checkout line asking people if they would like a demonstration and showing them the books they are holding would cost $30 less at the Kindle Store.
4. Telling a salesperson their job is going to disappear when Kindles take over the world.
5. Rubbing your kindle all over your body and sighing "oh, hugh".  ;)

Lara Amber

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Those are rude? guess I'll have to change the way I act in the book stores. When were you in the Little Rock stores to see me? ;)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
intinst said:
Those are rude? guess I'll have to change the way I act in the book stores. When were you in the Little Rock stores to see me? ;)
You were sighing "oh, hugh"??? Leslie have a little competition? ;)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I could never compete with Leslie in that area.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I love the superior, smug feeling I get using my Kindle at the bookstore.  ;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I never had a problem carrying a book purchased in a different bookstore along with me while I was shopping for new books.

In fact, I would often purchase book(s) from Walden's and then carry the bag showing the Walden's trademark into the Barnes & Noble store to buy more books there.

I don't see why the Kindle should be any different.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1.)  I wouldn't hesitate to brandish my Kindle in a bookstore.

2.)  Lara Amber, you crack me up!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Lara Amber...too funny. 

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
How about turning the tables on an over zealous sales person trying, repeatedly, to get me to sign up for their discount membership? I just told her I don't shop there for books often since I now have a Kindle and get the same books, cheaper, at home, instantly. She had no idea what it was so I showed it to her and told her to check it out at Amazon! I really wouldn't have but she kept pushing the membership.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I don't go to B&M bookstores anymore, unless it's a really good used bookstore.

But to answer the OP I wouldn't take my kindle out in a bookstore if I were to frequent one, but that is just me.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Forster said:
I wouldn't take my kindle out in a bookstore if I were to frequent one, but that is just me.
We don't want them to know we've crossed over to the dark side! ;)

As for my answer I think it would be fun to take the kindle out at a Barnes and Nobles type store- but I wouldn't do so in a small bookstore/used one. Rubbing it in a small stores face is just plain mean- especially when they deal with competition from B&N type stores......but I would OH SOOOOOO rub it in B&N's face........though I'm not sure why this appeals to me so much as I do shop at B&N ??? Gonna go ponder my conscious mind now........ ;D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Very funny Lara -

I have no qualms about taking my kindle out of my bag in a bookstore - especially if it is a large chain, now a local bookseller, probably not.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
About 6 months ago I was at a Craft fair and there was an indie author there selling his book.  I had my with me and I asked him if his books were available for it.  He said yes though he'd never seen one.  I showed him mine and and downloaded a copy of one of his books right then and there. . . .he thought that was pretty cool.

Ann

·
Registered
221 Posts
CoolMom1960 said:
I have no qualms about taking my kindle out of my bag in a bookstore - especially if it is a large chain, now a local bookseller, probably not.
I think most employees at chain bookstores could care less if you brandish your Kindle around the store. Just like most of the 15 year old ushers at your local multiplex, don't care if you "sneak" in outside snacks to eat while watching the newest movie release. However the bookstore owner and movie theater owner do care -- so just don't brandish your Kindle or you outside snacks in front of them, for etiquette's sake only.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Ann, that is a great story.  How exciting to be able to show the author his work dl'd onto your K right in front of him.  Great marketing. 

Also, I want to say I agree with the others who have made the distinction of a small local bookstore vs. a chain.  I also would not take my K out in a small store.  I would feel rude.

deb

·
Registered
223 Posts
Laura Amber, too funny!  I admit to wanting to wave my Kindle around and show everyone.  I stopped by the local B&N the first week I got Shea to see what new books might interest me, sat down to have coffee @ the Starbucks bar, whipped out my Kindle as proud as could be and wanted to tell EVERYONE within earshot; you need to check this out!  LOL.  Of course I did not, but drank my coffee and read my Kindle and was quite content.

Juanita

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
pomlover2586 said:
As for my answer I think it would be fun to take the kindle out at a Barnes and Nobles type store- but I wouldn't do so in a small bookstore/used one. Rubbing it in a small stores face is just plain mean- especially when they deal with competition from B&N type stores......but I would OH SOOOOOO rub it in B&N's face........though I'm not sure why this appeals to me so much as I do shop at B&N ??? Gonna go ponder my conscious mind now........ ;D
Absolutely right Pom... speaking as a former small bookstore owner.... the big chains were annoying enough, and we were struggling, and a smug-looking Kindle-owner would have been met with somewhat forced smiles. On the other hand, if a Kindle-owner is clearly excited about paper books too (and maybe even buys some), then it would be fine. Really depends on attitude.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate everyone's input about Kindles and bookstores. I normally go to the larger bookstore chains and really have not had a run in with anyone else with a Kindle so I figured, who better to ask than those that share the same passion for the Kindle as I do. You guys are the best. Thanks again.  :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts