Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Is it "bear naked" or "bare naked"?

Bear has many meanings. Two of which are

1. To exhibit or show, as in bear resemblance
2. to conduct (oneself, or body)

Bare though is an adjective. It means without covering or clothing; naked.

Is it bare naked, to be "naked naked", or To exhibit/ conduct oneself without covering?

So is it "bear naked" or "bare naked"?

Not a trick question, I honestly want to know the answer.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Bare naked.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the sentence to use the phrase is  is "He was ______ naked,.." Is it that bare is describing the guy's nakedness?

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Bare. And the words "bare naked" are redundant. Bare means the same as naked. :) A person is either naked or they are not.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a company called Bear Naked Inc, and I want to point to the irony that there is no three references to tap into on the internet for this phrase. I am seeing one reference, but I need 3 references before I can change it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Caddy said:
Bare. And the words "bare naked" are redundant. Bare means the same as naked. :) A person is either naked or they are not.
Yeah, the phrase is a colloquialism. Casual. I wouldn't use it in formal writing but in an informal voice.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Kyra Halland said:
Yeah, the phrase is a colloquialism. Casual. I wouldn't use it in formal writing but in an informal voice.
Yeah, like buck naked, or bare-assed naked. "The guy was running around bare-assed naked, and he didn't seem to care!"

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
According to Amazon, it can be bear naked...as long as there are bear shifters involved.  At least four titles on Amazon confirm this.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Kyra Halland said:
It would work in dialogue. But in narrative, I'd avoid it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. And I think I remember that phrase from high school, "You can't be naked twice!".

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
"Bear Naked" would be a great LGBT title. With hairy men. Given the current street meaning of "bear" I wouldn't use that spelling unless you knew your audience pretty well.

(I had a client once who ran niche, um, visual entertainment sites. He wasn't referring to Pooh or Paddington.
)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Bare naked.

Also, is it "butt naked" or "buck naked"?

This reminds me of the grammar dispute, "bare-faced" vs. "bold-faced," as in, "He told a bare-faced lie."  I think that both are correct usage. I prefer bare-faced because of the historical background. In olden days: If a man was bare-faced, that meant he was clean-shaven, not hiding his features behind a mustache and beard. He was brazen enough to tell you a lie with his bare face. He didn't care if you could identify him.

Or he could tell you a bear-faced lie, if he was a shape shifter.  :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts