Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am strongly considering making book 1 of my series free. It will be a 5 book series and 4 of the books are out now. The fourth just came out last month. The fifth "should" come out in March. Which makes more sense: Waiting until all 5 books are out and then trying to make book 1 free or should I try to make it free now?  If I wait, would you wait until about a month after the fifth book comes out and then do it or do it as soon as the fifth book comes out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have only two books of my series published and I made the first perma free. It's worked out well for me. It's important to put links to your mailing list everywhere so they are notified of the next release. It's never too soon to attract a larger audience.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Not in my experience. I set book one free when I only had two books. Sales exploded for book 2, and when book 3 came out it debuted high on the Amazon ranking charts (about 200 I think) due to my much larger mailing list.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I would think this would be the best time of year to get new readers with your free book, and your next book should be ready by the time they have worked their way through the series.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I'd do it now, since you said the 5th one comes out in March anyway. You already have 4 books for them to read, so let's say they download Book 1 right now.

re they necessarily going to read it today? I don't know about you, but I have at least 300 unread books on my Kindle at the moment, so the chances that I'm going to immediately read something I've downloaded are fairly slim. But let's say I download it today and read it next month, then I'm hooked and want to buy the rest of the series. I go and see that Books 2-4 are out, so I download them and have a reading marathon. Then at the end of Book 4, you have your excerpt for Book 5, along with "Coming March 2013 -- please sign up at my website to be notified of release" so off I go to your website and get onto your mailing list.

Then in March, you send out your mailing list.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't have the second book of a series published yet but I've had the first one free on Smashwords for a couple of years now. 625 downloads so far. I need to figure out how to make it perma-free on Amazon. Part of the problem is that I'm a broke student and therefore publish my work as open source. But it's only 99 cents and pretty well reviewed so I don't think that's too big of a deal. One of these days I need to get book two out there though. Again, student. Sigh.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I did it when I had only three books out in the series, and it went well. You should be in good shape with four of the five released, so long as you have a way for them to sign up for a mailing list at the end of each of the books; otherwise you won't be fulling capturing your audience when book five comes out (and thus all your readers' sweet, sweet money will be slipping right through your fingers).

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did it when I had only three books out in the series, and it went well. You should be in good shape with four of the five released, so long as you have a way for them to sign up for a mailing list at the end of each of the books; otherwise you won't be fulling capturing your audience when book five comes out (and thus all your readers' sweet, sweet money will be slipping right through your fingers).
Yes, I do have a mailing list now. :)

I am seriously thinking about releasing the first 60,000 words of book 1 as the free book. That has worked well for a friend on here. That way people know if they like the story without it costing anything, they get as much as many shorter novels, yet if they want the rest of the story they buy book 1. Book one is about 130,000 words.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts