Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still fairly new to self-publishing on the e-reader market and I haven't seen this really discussed anywhere, and I figure this is the place to ask:  is it tacky to include a sentence or two in your book's back matter that says something along the lines of "If you enjoyed this book, please consider leaving a thoughtful and honest review," or is that just good marketing?  My background in preparing e-mails for marketing mailing lists has drilled into me the importance of a clear call to action, but in thinking about this now, it occurs to me that it could be either incredibly tacky, or even a violation of terms of service.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have something similar in the backs of all of my books along with the hyperlinks for the rest of my books. It's just a reminder, and as soon as I added it in there I started getting a lot more reviews.

·
Registered
87 Posts
LilianaHart said:
I have something similar in the backs of all of my books along with the hyperlinks for the rest of my books. It's just a reminder, and as soon as I added it in there I started getting a lot more reviews.
How do you usually phrase the request, if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of adding, "...and don't forget to leave a review." after telling them to browse my Author Page/book at the end. Or something.

I'm getting kind of desperate for reviews, gauche be damned. I have over 400 books sold so far and only one stinkin' review... :-[

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Rayna Corday said:
How do you usually phrase the request, if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking of adding, "...and don't forget to leave a review." after telling them to browse my Author Page/book at the end. Or something.

I'm getting kind of desperate for reviews, gauche be damned. I have over 400 books sold so far and only one stinkin' review... :-[
This is what I have in the back of all my books (with different titles)

If you enjoyed reading CADE, I would appreciate it if you would help others enjoy this book, too.

Lend it. This e-book is lending-enabled, so please, share it with a friend.

Recommend it. Please help other readers find this book by recommending it to friends, readers' groups and discussion boards.

Review it. Please tell other readers why you liked this book by reviewing it at Amazon or Goodreads. If you do write a review, please send me an email at [email protected] so I can thank you with a personal email. Or visit me at http://www.lilianahart.com.

**I got this from Theresa Ragan. Totally her idea, so I've got to give credit, but it works.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Along with a few other things I want after the end, here is how I put this:

All fair and honest reviews are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have always had: "Thank you for reading this story. (A review would be greatly appreciated.)" I don't know if it works, but I've got plenty of reviews.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I send them links to all my various gift registries and let them know that an 85% gratuity is customary for ebooks.  :D :D

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I don't think it's tacky, and lord knows it works for a lot of authors :) 

Theory says that it's better to say "Remember ____________," though, rather than "Don't forget ______________."  Apparently the brain just hears "Forget to do such-and-such," and boom, it's gone.  I've no idea how accurate that is.  I'm scatterbrained anyway, so not a good test subject for that sort of thing LOL

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I have deleted this post as I do not consent to the new Terms of Service that Vertical Scope are attempting to retrospectively apply to our content.  I am forced to manually replace my content as, at time of editing, their representative has instructed moderators not to delete posts or accounts when users request it, and Vertical Scope have implied that they will deal with account deletion requests by anonymising accounts, which would leave personally identifying information in my posts.

I joined under the previous ownership and have posted over the years under different Terms of Service.  I do not consent to my name, content, or intellectual properties being used by Vertical Scope or any other entity that they sell or licence my data to.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Zelah Meyer said:
I have the following text in the back of my books:

"If you liked it (or even if you didn't) then please consider leaving a review to help other readers. I appreciate anyone taking the time to leave an honest review, whatever the length or rating. So, thank you in advance if you do."

With the well publicised cases of authors going batsh*t crazy over reviews, I just want readers to know that it's safe to leave a review on my work!
This is my 'Note To The Reader' at the end of my books"

To the Reader,

Having readers eager for the next instalment of a series is the best motivation for a writer to create new stories. If you enjoy reading my work as much as I enjoy writing Katla's adventures, there are ways for you to support me and help me expand the Amsterdam Assassin Series:

Follow my blog. Probably the least amount of effort is visiting the Amsterdam Assassin Series blog at http://amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com/ and click on the Follow Blog via Email button, so you'll get an email notice whenever I update my blog with publication announcements, articles on Katla's Amsterdam and adding to the Frequently Asked Questions section.

Share your opinion. If you like the Amsterdam Assassin Series and you want to let other people know, use Facebook, Twitter, Wordpress, Blogger, any social media that can help spread the word. And tell your friends.

Write reviews.
Most of the sites where you can buy e-books have a way for you to post a review, so you can share with other readers whether a book or story merits their attention. Also, there are a variety of book review websites like GoodReads, where members discuss the books they've read, want to read or want others to read. You can also put a review on your blog.

Send me feedback. If you have a question about the Amsterdam Assassin Series, like to point out errors and typos, discuss issues raised in the book, want to know how to become one of my beta readers, or just embarrass me with totally undeserved adulation, I urge you to send me an email at [email protected]

Kind regards,
Martyn V. Halm

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Arkali said:
Theory says that it's better to say "Remember ____________," though, rather than "Don't forget ______________."
I would agree to avoid "Don't forget" if only because it sounds like the author thinks there is an obligation and and is nagging. I have the following backmatter, which is an attempt at lighthearted (without, I hope, coming across as needy):

Thank you so much for your purchase. If you like a story, please put a rating on it, post links to it, and make some noise because you will influence what I write next and how fast I write it! Seriously, this is a scientifically proven fact and one of the twelve laws of physics holding the universe together!
Because isn't bolded in the book, but I wanted to call it (and the words following it in the sentence) out as a compliance technique that researchers have shown to be highly effective (Robert Cialdini's Influence book gives really good background on this). Seeing Theresa Ragan's via Liliana, I'm going to tweak it a little as regards (do this because you will) "help others" - which is probably a much greater motivator than what I have.

Not only do I put it in the back of my books (regardless of platform) - I have a permanent pitch on my Amazon author page:

What gets you hot?
More billionaires? More curves? More wolves? Curves for billionaire wolves (mwahahaha)? Let me know YOUR choice through one of the contact points below or by reviewing your favorites!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks for asking, us newbies have now a good template to work from.

I have been asking too but so far only two reviews ...
I guess better 2 good ones than 50 average or bad.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Dawnchapel said:
I'm still fairly new to self-publishing on the e-reader market and I haven't seen this really discussed anywhere, and I figure this is the place to ask: is it tacky to include a sentence or two in your book's back matter that says something along the lines of "If you enjoyed this book, please consider leaving a thoughtful and honest review," or is that just good marketing?
The only thing that strikes me as tacky is specifying "if you enjoyed this book," as if negative or lukewarm reviews are illegitimate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts