Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a fabulously popular book called, The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse.

https://www.amazon.com/Boy-Mole-Fox-Horse/dp/0062976583/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1ORQL4788GVFV&dchild=1&keywords=the+boy+the+mole+the+fox+and+the+horse&qid=1602115692&s=books&sprefix=The+Boy+the%2Caps%2C186&sr=1-1

I haven't read it, but I've seen a lot of the reviews. So, then Amazon sends me this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087FTNJZL?ref=em_1p_1_ti&ref_=pe_3730140_539214770

in a promo email.

Am I missing something here?

Why is something like that allowed? I have a weird sense of humor but even I don't get it.

·
Registered
20,059 Posts
you might get answers if you state what the issue is, rather than putting in links.  a lot of people don't like having to click on things to understand your concerns.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
telracs said:
you might get answers if you state what the issue is, rather than putting in links. a lot of people don't like having to click on things to understand your concerns.
It's pretty obvious what my concerns are. I'm not going to spell it out for you.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Their software just can tell when you look at something if you're logged in. Facebook ads can do it too. It was creepy when I first noticed it years ago, but I got used to it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. I'm taking a deep breath, here.

WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IT THAT THERE IS A BOGUS BOOK ON AMAZON THAT THEY ARE MARKETING TO UNSUSPECTING READERS.

DOES ANYBODY AT ALL GET IT?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yes, childrens author Audrey Penn would not be happy to see her book recovered and republished, more or less, as Bell Full of Love. ::)

The books under this author's name were published in April this year. Cheeky plus.

This tells me that for all the trials and tribulations of Amazon's algorithms, and the policing of Zon rules by squads of bots, and never mind all the emails, phone calls, and chats that honest rattled authors engage in to sort out problems caused by the previous mentioned, apparently, it remains dead easy to play the system.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I didn't click on the link because I try not to click on random links, but I figured it was someone who'd written a book that looked enough like the popular one to get enough sales to get promoted by Amazon. They don't vet the books they put in those promo emails for legitimacy. A few years back there was an email they sent me with books on AMS ads and two were absolutely identical with the exception of the author name. Clearly someone had stolen the cover for a different book on AMS and done well enough doing so that they'd both shown up in the same Amazon promo email.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I clicked on the link and had a look inside. It's the usual copy and paste of unrelated material that repeats ad nauseam to bulk up the pages. His books will probably get reported, if they haven't already.

·
Registered
235 Posts
CatherineM said:
Okay. I'm taking a deep breath, here.

WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IT THAT THERE IS A BOGUS BOOK ON AMAZON THAT THEY ARE MARKETING TO UNSUSPECTING READERS.

DOES ANYBODY AT ALL GET IT?
OMG WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY SO AT THE BEGINNING?

·
Registered
912 Posts
CatherineM said:
Am I missing something here?

Why is something like that allowed? I have a weird sense of humor but even I don't get it.
As I understand it, you cannot copyright a title, though you can trademark it. If the book is infringing a trademark, the author should contact Amazon and they will definitely take it down. On the other hand, if the title is not trademarked, then the matter enters into a somewhat grey area. There are certainly precedents for different books sharing the same title, so the guy might actually get away with it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
This reminds me of those infamous rip off movies that used to be in rentals.  Like, Atlantic Rim right next to Pacific Rim, or Transmorfers right next to Transformers.

But, it's a hard position for authors being stolen from.  For every one successful author, there might be 10 people copying them, some subtly and some overtly.  So, it becomes a problem of the rip offs out-pacing the author's ability to go after them.  This kind of thing was a major problem in the music industry when I was doing music stuff.  There is a very fine line between, "cover song" and "you clearly stole my song"

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LDB said:
I clicked the link and I don't get it either, other than it doesn't look right at all. And even if it wasn't bogus looking how could it possibly be 525 pages.
Thank you, sir. I know Amazon is swamped right now, but this is just so wrong. Why anyone would even waste their time doing something so ridiculous is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Midnight Rain said:
Well, I clicked on the link and had a look inside. It's the usual copy and paste of unrelated material that repeats ad nauseam to bulk up the pages. His books will probably get reported, if they haven't already.
Right. I don't know if those accounts get removed after discovery, but I hope so.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NikOK said:
This reminds me of those infamous rip off movies that used to be in rentals. Like, Atlantic Rim right next to Pacific Rim, or Transmorfers right next to Transformers.

But, it's a hard position for authors being stolen from. For every one successful author, there might be 10 people copying them, some subtly and some overtly. So, it becomes a problem of the rip offs out-pacing the author's ability to go after them. This kind of thing was a major problem in the music industry when I was doing music stuff. There is a very fine line between, "cover song" and "you clearly stole my song"
"Transmorfers right next to Transformers" - That's pretty funny, I never heard of that one.
Your music analogy is a very good one. Thank you.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is definitely something that should be reported. The copycat author was pretty shrewd about mentioning the original author's name and then titling his book in a manner that was close enough to resemble the original. I can see how Amazon's algorithms picked it up, but that's obviously just a bogus attempt to capitalize on somebody else's work, and they got away with it. I wonder if Amazon would freeze any earnings from the copycat once they realize what the scam is.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Steven R. Drennon said:
This is definitely something that should be reported. The copycat author was pretty shrewd about mentioning the original author's name and then titling his book in a manner that was close enough to resemble the original. I can see how Amazon's algorithms picked it up, but that's obviously just a bogus attempt to capitalize on somebody else's work, and they got away with it. I wonder if Amazon would freeze any earnings from the copycat once they realize what the scam is.
Or, better yet, give any earnings to the authentic author. ;D

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's amazing how shameless this guy is. He's using the actual quotes of those praising the original book for his own book. Yes, this book needs to be removed immediately for that alone (purely false advertising).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts