Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been frequenting KB for a few months and complaining about print books, looking forward to my Kindle, being able to search, look up words, not hold 800 page books, etc.  Now that I have the 5-star K2 in my hands, I find myself missing DTBs....on and off.  Is this normal for a first-time Kindle user?

The ONLY part I'm missing is how small the Kindle display is and how little text appears on each page.  If I adjust the font size down to the lowest, I can't read it, so I've kept it in the midrange.  I've also tried the largest font, but I'm turning pages constantly.  I would say that, even with the default font, I'm finding it hard to get used to turning pages so often. 

Will I get over this?  I never thought I'd have this reaction!  Thanks :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't have my K2, yet, but when I got my KK it took a little getting used to.  However, I started remembering what a pain it was to try to turn pages with one hand in bed, or the bath, etc.  After realizing that I started appreciating how easy the Kindle was to use.  Try using your K2 for a little while and then pick up a DTB.  I think it will make you appreciate your K2 a little more.  ;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think this is going to be a very individual thing. I think there will be some people that for whatever reason just simply prefer hard copy books even after using a K for a while.

I can not say for myself yet, havcing my K2 for only a couple of days. But I still read hard copy books.

I think there will always be a market for near new K's to be sold to for those that just prefer to stay "old school"!

Eric

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I did not miss print books when I started using my KK. I actually dread the idea of reading a regular book. But that is me. There are others who read on the Kindle and DTB.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Sorry, can't help you. I've read one DTB since buying my first Kindle 11 months ago and that's only because my screen died shortly after starting a new book. I had to wait to 2 days for the replacement and really wanted to read it.

I don't even notice having to turn the page or the amount of text on a page anymore. What size font are you using? I use 3 or 4..5 If I'm really tired, but can't stop reading.

If you want more text on the page, you can move the lines closer together by pushing and holding down the alt+shift keys. While holding them down, press a number key from 1-9..1 being the closest, 9 being the widest. The default is 3

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
luvmy4brats said:
CONGRATULATIONS ON 1000 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Prof, CONGRATS on 1000 posts! I didn't even notice until LuvMyBrats pointed it out.

LuvMyBrats, I'll try experimenting with space between lines. Thanks for the tip. I'm leaning toward the idea that I just need to "get use" to the Kindle, as I absolutely am in LOVE with every other feature and thing about it!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
libro said:
Yes, Prof, CONGRATS on 1000 posts! I didn't even notice until LuvMyBrats pointed it out.

LuvMyBrats, I'll try experimenting with space between lines. Thanks for the tip. I'm leaning toward the idea that I just need to "get use" to the Kindle, as I absolutely am in LOVE with every other feature and thing about it!
CONGRATULATIONS ON 500 POSTS!!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't miss print books at all.  I just love using one hand to hold and turn a page.  

I'm afraid the gals at the library will miss me and my wallet will be emptier.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since my only slight frustration so far is with the rate at which I need to turn K2 pages versus a DTB, would you guess I'll get used to that in a short period of time?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
After a short period of reading, I do not even notice the page turns. I've had my K1 about three weeks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't missed them yet and I have had my KK for 4 months now.

libro said:
Since my only slight frustration so far is with the rate at which I need to turn K2 pages versus a DTB, would you guess I'll get used to that in a short period of time?
Are you saying that you have to turn pages more frequently? I really don't notice the number of times I turn the page. The change in the screen did bother me at first when turning pages, but it didn't take me very long at all to adjust to it and now I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Bella said:
I haven't missed them yet and I have had my KK for 4 months now.

Are you saying that you have to turn pages more frequently? I really don't notice the number of times I turn the page. The change in the screen did bother me at first when turning pages, but it didn't take me very long at all to adjust to it and now I don't even notice it.
I still chuckle when I see your posts...I want to know how my Kindle is posting! LOL!!

I don't notice turning the page either..It's no different than clicking on a mouse on the computer screen..It's just automatic.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't notice the page turns either.  It's the amount of text on each page that was my only frustration, but I do truly think that's only a temporary adjustment since this is my first true day of reading on the K2.

I don't think I could do without the K2, though, so I better get used to the screen size!  This morning I downloaded a few sample chapters pronto.  In the past I'd always be so frustrated that this or that new DTB was too expensive (even with deep discounts), or that I'd have to drive to the bookstore late at night because I just HAD to have a certain book right now (!), or when I was more frugal, the fact that the library was always out of any book worth its weight in gold.  Now with the Kindle, it's 1-Click PRONTO!  You can't beat that...period!  :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
libro said:
I don't think I could do without the K2, though, so I better get used to the screen size! This morning I downloaded a few sample chapters pronto. In the past I'd always be so frustrated that this or that new DTB was too expensive (even with deep discounts), or that I'd have to drive to the bookstore late at night because I just HAD to have a certain book right now (!), or when I was more frugal, the fact that the library was always out of any book worth its weight in gold. Now with the Kindle, it's 1-Click PRONTO! You can't beat that...period! :)
AMEN!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
libro said:
Now with the Kindle, it's 1-Click PRONTO! You can't beat that...period! :)
No, you can't. But you can sure get yourself into a lot of trouble with it. LOL

I love my Kindle, but I will never be without hard copy books. I am not just a reader, I am a book lover. The Kindle is great for getting free classics, it's light, it's portable, etc. But there's just something about a book that the Kindle cannot replace to me.

For the time being, however, I am limited to mostly books on the Kindle. As I've explained before, my office (where I used to keep all of my books) is being converted into a nursery for the arrival of my daughter in June. I don't have as much room for books now, so, until I get a bigger house, the Kindle is my main go-to. LOL

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don't miss DTB's at all. I have a series that I really want to re-read and they are not available in Kindle version. I ordered them from Amazon. I really really want to read the stories, but I am not looking forward to the ink on my fingers, not being able to hold and turn pages with one hand. Plus, I have to totally change how and where I sit to read them. The Kindle 1 & 2 have made it sooo easy to read in bed or snuggled into the corner of the couch. Not so easy with a regular book.  ;D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
CONGRATULATIONS ON 1000 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
libro said:

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts