Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into an argument with a troll the other day. Details aren't important, but it got pretty heated.

Today there's a fresh 1-star rating on one of my books. The first 1-star that book has gotten. It could just be a coincidence, especially since my dashboard hasn't registered any fresh sales or page reads, but I figured I'd ask if it's possible to just open a book in Unlimited and 1-star it.

I don't think it is, and it didn't hurt my star average either way. I just like to know these things.

·
Registered
142 Posts
StephenBrennan said:
Got into an argument with a troll the other day. Details aren't important, but it got pretty heated.

Today there's a fresh 1-star rating on one of my books. The first 1-star that book has gotten. It could just be a coincidence, especially since my dashboard hasn't registered any fresh sales or page reads, but I figured I'd ask if it's possible to just open a book in Unlimited and 1-star it.

I don't think it is, and it didn't hurt my star average either way. I just like to know these things.
yes

you can leave reviews on amazon for items you didn't buy or open as long as you spend $50 a year on Amazon on something, anything

in other words, anyone can one-star your book without reading or opening it

your pen name loses their freedom of speech

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
nightwork said:
yes

you can leave reviews on amazon for items you didn't buy or open as long as you spend $50 a year on Amazon on something, anything

in other words, anyone can one-star your book without reading or opening it

your pen name loses their freedom of speech
Huh? Freedom of Speech means the government won't punish you for saying something unpopular. Not friends, family, or customers in a marketplace. I so wish people would stop making these silly FoS comments.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
H.C. said:
Huh? Freedom of Speech means the government won't punish you for saying something unpopular. Not friends, family, or customers in a marketplace. I so wish people would stop making these silly FoS comments.
You are confusing the US First Amendment with the actual concept of freedom of speech which goes back waaaay before the First Amendment was enacted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

·
Registered
616 Posts
It is, but you can still write to support and ask for it to be taken down. I had a 1-star review removed that way. Mind you, it was obvious from the review that the reviewer hadn't read the book so I just said it created a "negative customer experience" :)

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
Anyone who's spent $50 on Amazon can review items without ever purchasing them. That's one reason some authors go anonymous online, or just avoid controversy altogether. It's all too easy for someone you don't even realize you're offending to "get even" by dropping a string of one stars on your catalog. Hard to say how often it happens, but it's always a risk if you share your name or book title.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. It's strange, because I seem to remember Amazon throwing up all these obstacles for reviews a while back. Oh well. Guess it's a good thing in some ways.

·
Registered
142 Posts
H.C. said:
i wasn't talking about your constitutional right to freedom of speech

i meant... and it was VERY CLEAR in context what i meant... that if you want to debate openly & honestly without being a fake phony friendly person, you need a different name in your social media that isn't attached to your pen name or your other business name

and you KNEW that's what i meant too

you picked a fight for fun, which proves my entire point

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The starring thing, to me, is a double edged sword. I've gotten some one-stars without accompanying reviews, and have no idea who starred them, obviously, but I also have some three and four stars without reviews, too -- which are nicer to see.

I suppose a phantom one-star is better than a lengthy diatribe accompanying a one star, which also happens to authors. I've had it happen, and there have been posts on KB about such reviews and one-stars.

It seems to go with the territory. Ya can't please everybody....

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
nightwork said:
i wasn't talking about your constitutional right to freedom of speech

i meant... and it was VERY CLEAR in context what i meant... that if you want to debate openly & honestly without being a fake phony friendly person, you need a different name in your social media that isn't attached to your pen name or your other business name

and you KNEW that's what i meant too

you picked a fight for fun, which proves my entire point
In point of fact, it wasn't clear to me, either. I had no idea what you meant until I read your clarification just now. I just couldn't be bothered to comment on it at the time.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I left a review the other day on a book I bought in a charity shop. You don't need to have KU or open the book; you only need to have spent your $50 in a year.

I have a few one stars from people I've argued with on forums. I got one from someone because I live alone with my dogs; that's why I write romance, apparently. Obviously a man! I prefer my dogs.  :-[

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Doglover said:
I left a review the other day on a book I bought in a charity shop. You don't need to have KU or open the book; you only need to have spent your $50 in a year.

I have a few one stars from people I've argued with on forums.
That's the danger of anonymous stars. There is no transparency. Anyone can leave them with no reason given.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is sometimes very difficult to sit on one's hands and stay out of the fray. The price of doing business online.  ;D

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Yes, it is. I recently got a one-star because of a Facebook post. She even said so in the review.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wayne Stinnett said:
Yes, it is. I recently got a one-star because of a Facebook post. She even said so in the review.
At least she owned the pettiness. I don't get how people convince themselves stuff like this is worth the effort.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've seen one-star reviews left because shipping was slow. I don't think anyone looks at the stars too too seriously. In fact, a few dings makes a books rating look more realistic, IMO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts