Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my book set up for KDP Select when I published it last month. I changed the categories today and when it was done republishing, I noticed it was no longer enrolled. From what I read, I am not allowed to have it in digital format anywhere else if I want to be with KDP select. At this point, I have had only one sale with B&N in thirty days. I have to assume that Amazon is referring to B&N since that is the only other place I have the book for sale.

So, with that said, would it behoove me to drop B&N and just sale my book on Amazon so I can enroll it on KDP Select?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I think the thing about Select is to be... selective. :p Out of ten titles, I've only got two in Select. My other books do decently well on B&N, so I haven't found it worthwhile to pull them.

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts
FWIW, I only have one book, and Select has been very useful for me. I'm just now getting out of it after nine months in. I think only a tiny fraction of the people who have read my book would've read it without Select. I think it's the No. 1 best tool out there for brand new writers to build initial readership.

That said, all the other pieces have to be in place in order to maximize the effectiveness of your giveaways: ideally, the book should be one that will attract a lot of downloads, its metadata should be good enough that people want to buy it afterwards during its period of increased visibility, and your chosen social media should be lined up so that you can connect in productive ways with the fans you get from the free downloads (getting mailing-list sign-ups and Facebook likes, for instance).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thank you guys for your help. I think it is crazy that I cant have it on B&N since they use the Nook. I will have to weigh my options. I am frustrated that I have only sold one book on B&N and they dont have any good promotional tools like Amazon does.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the same situation with KDP Select. I have my books on both Amazon and B&N, and so far Amazon has been my top seller. I'm thinking about just going to Amazon altogether, yet I'm worried that if I take my books off of B&N it's unfair to Nook readers.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Select experience seems to depend on genre and category. Look for Select members in your genre and see what their experience has been.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a feeling I am going to have to close my account with Amazon and start from scratch!  It turns out that once you have them change a category on their end, you can no longer change it from your end. Now I have to email them when I need it changed. I emailed them to put it back where I had it from the start since it seemed to be doing better then. I would leave it under teen but it would appear that there is no TEEN category in the UK (go figure). I am also waiting to see if the changes they make effect the other sites as they told me once that it does not.

I will let you guys know. Anyway, lesson learned. Unless you absolutely positively have to, do NOT get Amazon involved unless you want to see everything get screwed up. Keep total control in your hands.

Oh, and I think I am going to drop B&N. I will lose my $2.50 royalty that I earned last month...sigh.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Be careful about closing your account to undo that category selection.  I don't think you'll be able to open a new one.  They have a one account per person rule, and it is easy to enforce since they need your SSN to pay you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, thank you for the advise

I guess I dont mean close the account so much as delete the book and publish it again as a new book.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Tensejim said:
I think it is crazy that I cant have it on B&N since they use the Nook.
But that's the entire point. Amazon doesn't offer KDP Select out of the goodness of their hearts. They offer it to further their quest to dominate the ebook market.

The entire point of Select is for Amazon to get these books on an exclusive basis. In other words, these ebooks will ONLY be available at Amazon for the Kindle (and other devices that have a Kindle app). You can't have it on B&N because if it's available for the Nook, then it's not exclusive to Kindle. That's what an exclusivity agreement is.

You need to choose whether you want the benefit of KDP Select (5 days available every 90 days to offer your book for free, plus listing in the KOLL) or you want the exposure and sales on the other platforms. Many authors find that the bulk of their sales come from Amazon. Others find that their sales on the other platforms exceeds the benefit they get from Select.

There's no one right or wrong way. Personally, out of 7 titles (soon to be 6 titles because my anthology co-authors and I are going to remove it entirely), only one of mine is enrolled in Select. And it took me an entire year to experiment like that -- I didn't enroll something in Select until this past November. My series sells at the other stores, so it would make no sense to move them.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
In my opinion, and in my experience, ... no, it is not worth dropping BN (and/or Smashwords) for KDP Select. I have nearly 50 e-books available, none of them now in Select. Six months ago, especially a year ago, I might have suggested Select, but not now.

But that's just my experience, and I write mostly epic fantasy with some horror and other stuff thrown in. Other writers will have had different experiences.

Two years ago, Amazon was the big dog, but nowadays they are only about 25 percent of my writing income. While my Amazon numbers have been pretty bad the last six montsh, my BN numbers have grown by something close to 500 percent, and my Sony and Smashwords (direct) numbers have also grown to a lesser extent. For some reason, my Kobo and Apple numbers have not grown the last six months, but I keep hoping that'll build.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That makes a lot of sense. I guess the one thing I am missing is the borrow feature. Being my first book and all, the borrow feature was helping somewhat to at least get some extra exposure. I have no way of knowing if I sold any books as a result of it though.

So far, B&N has done nothing for me by way of sales so losing it is not a big deal.

I just want to get all of this figured out before I finish and publish the second book  = )

That is interesting Ty, I cant get B&N to budge past one sale. At least I see sales on Amazon.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Kathleen Valentine said:
If you only have one book available I would not. Select is great if you have a lot of titles but for just one book you need to get it available in many venues. I have 26 titles and only 6 are in Select.
I can't agree. While Select does well for a series, it also does very well for increasing the visibility of a single title. If you're not getting sales on B&N and iTunes anyway, I'd say give Select a try. Unlike B&N, if you can get numbers on Amazon they will push your book for you through emails and recommendations. Once you have a following, then it can be worthwhile going back to the other retailers.

That's my experience, anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts