Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this thread may exist somewhere, I haven't seen it yet though. My question isn't whether the Kindle 2 is a good device, everyone seems to be enjoying theirs pretty unanimously. But my question is this: Is it worth it? Switching would be a considerable hassle I think. I'd have to sell my Kindle 1, order a Kindle 2, get them switched on my Amazon account, replace my Oberon cover, and get a new screen protector. Is the Kindle 2 THAT much better than the Kindle 1? Or would it be worth it just to wait until Kindle 3, then make the switch. I guess my biggest fear is going through all this work, and then hearing a new model is on it's way 6-12 months from now. Any thoughts or insights would be helpful. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is a very good question.  I think maybe wait until the Kindle 3 comes out or at least wait till you here more about the Kindle 3 and when it may come out.  I heard rumors that it might be out by Christmas this year and have touch screen - but those are just rumors.  Of course, a lot of the Kindle 2 rumors were true. ;)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I say wait.  Too much trouble and though the K2 is "prettier" there is not much more to it unless the higher greyscale and the text to speech is that important to you.  (not me)

I am anxiously awaiting, like everyone else, for the folder option.  If that comes out I will run to get it.  And as for touch screen, I sure hope that doesn't increase the price!!!  I'd rather have the scrolly silver bar or the K2's toggle and keep the price at $359 or lower.....

Just my opinion, for what it is worth..

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think the big question is are you happy with your current Kindle?  If you are then personally I don't think it would be worth all the hassle and expense to get the K2.  Though I was tempted by it myself I LOVE my Kindle so I'm gonna hold onto it and use it as long as I can.  

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
i agree with Leslies assessment that the K2 is more of a lateral move than an upgrade. Some things are better (text to speech, browser, 16 shade grey scale), but some good things were eliminated (SD card, user changable battery). I have the KK and will wait and see what the K3 looks like. If it isn't a real improvement, and my KK is still going, we'll wait for K4.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've heard so many negative things about the K2's text appearance (may not be using the darkest black), people complaining that the 5-way controller is tricky to use, page turn buttons feeling hard to turn, and it seems like more people have had problems requiring replacement than with K1.  I'm glad I haven't upgraded. 

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I thought it was time to really start thinking about a lazy summer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
From someone who had a K1 and then purchased a K2 - I would say wait.  I prefer the appearance of the K2, the page button changes, and the 5-way clicker but unless held side-by-side with K1, I don't really don't notice the difference in greyscale.  The text to me appears the same as K1.  I thought I would use the text to speech feature but haven't.  I also don't like to keep many books on my Kindle and have to wade through multiple page listings of books, so the added memory has made no difference to me.  That being said, if you would use and appreciate those added features - I'd say go for it.  

Luckily, my husband wanted a Kindle so the K1 certainly did not go to waste, but if I was just upgrading for myself, I don't think it's worth spending $359.  Just my opinion.  

·
Registered
137 Posts
intinst (or 1204 if you prefer) said:
I thought it was time to really start thinking about a lazy summer.
And suddenly I have a craving for a fruity cocktail with an umbrella in it, preferably delivered by Hugh Jackman.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have had a bad couple of weeks accumulating this week.  Someone needs to tell my hubby that I need a surprise vacation, preferably somewhere like intinst's avatar: with a beach chair, and umbrella, a Hugh look-a-like cabana boy bringing me something fruity and alcoholic-y while the waves lap at my feet and I am reading something WONDERFUL on my Sookie (in a m-edge sports cover thing-y)....THAT would make it all better  :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I had a K1 and sold it to get my K2.  So, I've had both.

Seriously, I don't think the differences are that great.  The major features (compact, lightweight, e-reader, e-ink, holds lots of books, whispernet) are shared by both generations.  Unless you have a strong reason/desire/feature to move to the K2, I'd wait.  Moving books from one to the other is no big deal.  But selling your current one might be a big deal (I'm not sure what supply and demand is like right now).  If you have skins, covers, iGo tips, etc., it might get a little spendy to change.

I love my K2, but really, you aren't missing anything by having a K1.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have both, and I think that unless you have a deep and burning desire to switch, that you may as well wait. As others have said, the K2 has mostly been a lateral move, and some people have actually been upset with the changes, such as lack of SD slot. I'm happy with my K2, but it's not a massive jump over the K1.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Well personally all the prep work...ie selling KK, getting new Oberon etc sounds like FUN. LOL [Mind you I only have a K2] Next, it's never guaranteed how long before a new addition comes out. We could see a K4 6 months after a K3. Just luck of the draw. It really comes down to do you WANT a K2.......is the "work" worth it for you?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've still only got my K1.  Although the better, speedier searches and 5-way controller are tempting, I'm sticking with it for now.  If I had more money (ie., if I was still single!), I might go for it and sell my K1 to recoup some of the cost, but I'm content for now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've decided not to 'upgrade' any time soon.  I'm more than happy with my K1. Initially I was tempted by the faster searches and dictionary lookup improvements because I use those often.  I like to add definitions to my book notes and that process can be really slow and interrupting to the reading flow on the K1.  But, I'm just not interested in buying a new one.  I would probably hand my K1 down to my hubby or my 12 yo daughter rather than sell it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love my K2, but was actually planning to return it until I accidentally gave my K1 to my cousin .  The new features on the  K2 are nice, but the fact is, the books are just as good on the K1  :D .    I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have impulse control issues when it comes to buying new gadgets.

Kathie

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Latjoe said:
I love my K2, but was actually planning to return it until I accidentally gave my K1 to my cousin .
Um, Kathie?

How does one "accidentally" give their K1 to their cousin ???

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
KindleKay (aka #1652) said:
Um, Kathie?

That's my question also, if you please.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
KindleKay (aka #1652) said:
Um, Kathie?

drenee said:
That's my question also, if you please.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the "impulse control issues" she mentioned. :D

Ann

1 - 20 of 53 Posts