Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd value input about getting reviews through querying book bloggers. Personally, in the past I found it to be a waste of time relative to just promoting the book free in KU and getting organic reviews.

Now I'm remarketing a revised version of a previous book, I'm once again considering whether it's worth the effort of approaching book bloggers, relative to just getting my head to to write new stuff whilst paying for promos of existing stuff.

What's your experience?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nah, just do it the old fashioned way. Every review I've tried to solicit has been met with radio silence as though I'm not worth their time, so I just focused on promoting the permafree.

On 446 reviews now, none of them from ARCs or bloggers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You can reach out to bloggers for a new release. I've tried a few without any luck. I might try again if my book fits well. But Gareth is right, once the book is out, you can nab a lot of reviews with a free run.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think it's a waste of time to ask bloggers for reviews. When you sell books you get reviews... not the other way around. Focus on getting copies of your book into readers hands and the reviews will come by themselves.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Years ago (2012 and earlier), I would go all-out seeking reviews. (Local press, national press, bloggers, review sites, you name it.)  Got quite a few, which was nice.

They came in handy when I was trying to get bookstores, school suppliers and libraries to carry my paperbacks, but nowadays I'm focused on ebooks and online sales. For that, organic reviews from readers are more important in my opinion.

Not that I'd say no if a book blogger asked for a review copy, but I don't believe I've contacted any myself for the past 6 or 7 years. I'd rather spend the time and effort creating more ad campaigns.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I'll do some more promos, hopefully new covers and Book 1's last revisions will ignite some action.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have to join the crowd on this one since I just mentioned a horror story about this topic in a thinking about giving up writing post here. Seeking out reviewers some years ago seemed to work for the amount of time and effort put into it. Today many reviewers are so inundated they've capped off their lists, discontinued, quit or suspended. The review requests are higher than K-2 out there. What's actually worse are the review services where they take your book info and cram you into a category or genre archive (money thrown away). Don't dwell too heavily on reviews. With some sales, the reviews will come. Welcome Those with open arms. But good luck in targeting what few (or many) reviewers might really jump enthusiastically on your title. 

·
Registered
676 Posts
Lu Kudzoza said:
I think it's a waste of time to ask bloggers for reviews. When you sell books you get reviews... not the other way around. Focus on getting copies of your book into readers hands and the reviews will come by themselves.
THIS^^

Reviews are the result of sales. Sales are not the result of reviews (for the most part.)
Now if you WANT to do it, then go ahead. We touched on the idea that some things generate attention, but don't directly result in sales in the booktrailer post thread. This is one of those things that generates attention, but doesn't necessarily lead directly to sales. So if you want to solicit book bloggers and book tubers, feel free. Don't count on it as your main source of reviews or sales, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts