Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what the ratio is on this forum between authors and readers.  Nearly every signature has book links at the bottom (including my own, haha). Any guesses on the author to reader ratio?  My guess is 9-1. 

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
If the only section you ever really visit is the Writer's Cafe then, yeah, that is mostly authors. But there are other boards where 'normal' ;) people post about books they like to read. Some are also authors, of course, because the best authors probably read a lot to. But it seems like readers spend more time actually reading than talking about reading, whereas writers seem to spend as much time talking about writing as actually doing it.

Which actually makes sense because it's pretty easy to find people to talk to about reading "in real life" if you want to. I would suppose it's harder to strike up a conversation and happen upon another author with whom one can converse.

But, really, it doesn't matter. :D

EXCEPT -- if you want to talk about writing, or your books specifically, please keep it in the Cafe. The readers-but-not-writers among us know where to find you if they have questions or want to browse your signatures. But they don't want something they're not particularly interested in popping into every random thread in the rest of the forum. :)

So by all means, join in the Corner or talk about your Kindle or other reader or tablet or whatever. But, when you do, there's no need to mention that you're a writer or what your book is. Let your signature do that for you.

(Also, some non-author signatures also have book links -- they're things they've read or are reading, not things they've written.)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ann in Arlington said:
If the only section you ever really visit is the Writer's Cafe then, yeah, that is mostly authors. But there are other boards where 'normal' ;) people post about books they like to read. Some are also authors, of course, because the best authors probably read a lot to. But it seems like readers spend more time actually reading than talking about reading, whereas writers seem to spend as much time talking about writing as actually doing it.

Which actually makes sense because it's pretty easy to find people to talk to about reading "in real life" if you want to. I would suppose it's harder to strike up a conversation and happen upon another author with whom one can converse.

But, really, it doesn't matter. :D

EXCEPT -- if you want to talk about writing, or your books specifically, please keep it in the Cafe. The readers-but-not-writers among us know where to find you if they have questions or want to browse your signatures. But they don't want something they're not particularly interested in popping into every random thread in the rest of the forum. :)

So by all means, join in the Corner or talk about your Kindle or other reader or tablet or whatever. But, when you do, there's no need to mention that you're a writer or what your book is. Let your signature do that for you.

(Also, some non-author signatures also have book links -- they're things they've read or are reading, not things they've written.)
Thanks for that info! I've really enjoyed interacting with the writers on this forum. I have received tremendous help and support.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Back when I joined, it was almost all readers who had jumped on the Kindle/e-reader bandwagon pretty early. There were a few authors making the initial forays into self-published e-books. Then over the next few years, more and more authors and author-wannabes joined. The reader-only types started to get overwhelmed by authors posting about how great their books were, and the staff here did a good job of herding them off to the author-centric forums for their self-promotion; and then even more joined as they all wanted to discuss how to actually make money selling e-books.

For some combination of that balance shifting toward author-centric content and probably the rise of various social media platforms -- and perhaps that e-readers are no longer a newfangled gadget -- it seems that most of the reader-only types have disappeared here, or scaled back their time a lot (my situation, for sure).

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NogDog said:
Back when I joined, it was almost all readers who had jumped on the Kindle/e-reader bandwagon pretty early. There were a few authors making the initial forays into self-published e-books. Then over the next few years, more and more authors and author-wannabes joined. The reader-only types started to get overwhelmed by authors posting about how great their books were, and the staff here did a good job of herding them off to the author-centric forums for their self-promotion; and then even more joined as they all wanted to discuss how to actually make money selling e-books.

For some combination of that balance shifting toward author-centric content and probably the rise of various social media platforms -- and perhaps that e-readers are no longer a newfangled gadget -- it seems that most of the reader-only types have disappeared here, or scaled back their time a lot (my situation, for sure).
My thoughts exactly. I ran an ad with Kindleboards with my debut novel back in 2012 and got a huge response. I did another ad a few weeks and got zilcho response. The more I cruise this form, the more I realize that it's a great place to network with other authors, but there really seems to be a lack of straight readers like there was 7 years ago.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I have some reader friends who visit once in a while. But was going to say the same thing Ann mentioned above.

I had been member for a long time and feel that activity should be more than we have. There is lot of great info on various topics. Why can't we have these forums to discuss any topic like face-book in limited areas...lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well I'm an author and when I get bored I check forums to have interesting chats with other authors, hear about opportunities for authors, etc. I still check KB twice daily, but I have the impression that it is mainly aimed at readers, device users and word game players. 

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I personally spend more time on forums not related to authors. I visit to play games for fun and it is relaxing. I am author but hardly visit forums for authors only.

Social networks are fun, if we don't get too emotional about controversial topics...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts