Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question pretty much there in the Subject line. :) One of my friends recently bought a Kindle, and I've been doing a lot of research on them recently because I think they sound great! I'm just a little worried if they're a bit too good to be true? Too often I've bought stuff that seems really awesome then I hardly use it/go off it.

But all of that aside, my main worry at the moment is, is reading on a kindle like reading on a computer screen? I know they're not backlit so they're a tad different, but I can never read articles on a computer I have to print it out in order to read properly without hurting my eyes. Is a Kindle similar? ???

·
6,052 Posts
The Kindle uses e-ink technology which is designed to emulate print on paper as closely as possible. It's the backlit feature of computer screens that causes most of the eyestrain. With a Kindle, especially with the improved contrast on the latest models, you should be able to read as much as you normally would with paper books before you get any eye problems.

·
Registered
290 Posts
While it is a screen, it's not like a computer screen. The e-ink makes it look almost like a page from a book. You won't get eyestrain from it anymore than reading from a book. At least I never do.

·
Registered
342 Posts
bundabergsangel said:
But all of that aside, my main worry at the moment is, is reading on a kindle like reading on a computer screen? I know they're not backlit so they're a tad different, but I can never read articles on a computer I have to print it out in order to read properly without hurting my eyes. Is a Kindle similar? ???
No it's not. Think of the Daily Prophet in Harry Potter. That's what I felt like reading from my Kindle the first time. It's like magic. It doesn't strain your eyes, nor does it have a backlit. You need a light to read from it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Reading on a Kindle is NOTHING like reading on a computer.  It's just like reading a printed page from a book.  It's hard to describe until you see in person.  I get bad eyestrain from being on a computer.  However I can read for hours on a Kindle with absolutely no eyestrain what so ever.

The NOOK on the other hand is just like reading on a computer since it is a small back lit LCD screen.  But some people like that kind of thing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
More like reading a paper book than a computer with the added bonus of being able to adjust the font size.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Katja said:
No it's not. Think of the Daily Prophet in Harry Potter. That's what I felt like reading from my Kindle the first time. It's like magic. It doesn't strain your eyes, nor does it have a backlit. You need a light to read from it.
Magic, that's what I thought too. It never seems to need charging, looks like a page out of a book, can hold thousands of books. I was wondering however if I should sacrifice a chicken over a black candle periodically just to keep everything working. what do you think? Only problem is I am out of chickens and black candles, the candles are the real problem, I can always borrow a chicken from the neighbor.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I read some stuff for school in a six-hour session with my kindle one time.  It's not uncommon for me to read for a couple of hours with it, and I can't read on my laptop or desktop for more than about 20 minutes without my eyes watering.

After six hours with my kindle, the eyes were still going strong, it was just my brain that was numb.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
laurie_lu said:
Reading on a Kindle is NOTHING like reading on a computer. It's just like reading a printed page from a book. It's hard to describe until you see in person. I get bad eyestrain from being on a computer. However I can read for hours on a Kindle with absolutely no eyestrain what so ever.

The NOOK on the other hand is just like reading on a computer since it is a small back lit LCD screen. But some people like that kind of thing.
The Nook Color has a backlit screen. The original Nook and the new Nook Touch have eInk screens like Kindle's. Just wanted to clarify that.

To answer the original question - Kindle's screen is a bit like an Etch-a-Sketch - I've heard very few complaints about people having eyestrain or eye issues reading on eInk screens.

·
Registered
996 Posts
bundabergsangel said:
The question pretty much there in the Subject line. :) One of my friends recently bought a Kindle, and I've been doing a lot of research on them recently because I think they sound great! I'm just a little worried if they're a bit too good to be true? Too often I've bought stuff that seems really awesome then I hardly use it/go off it.

Now that you got your answers, continue loving your Kindle and marveling at its dexterity.

·
Super Moderator
67,588 Posts
bundabergsangel said:

Welcome to KindleBoards! And. . . .I think you have your answer. ::)

But, really, each individual is different. You have a friend with a Kindle so why not see if you can play with it a bit . . . see how it works for YOU. Most people find that it is as close to reading a paper book as you can get with a digital device. If she's reluctant, they're for sale at Staples, WalMart, Best Buy, and some ATT stores. Or you can check out a touch at B&N which has basically the same e-ink screen.

And many find that it is actually superior to a paper book: print is too small? Just make it bigger. Finished the book and want to buy the next one? Click..click..click. Done -- start reading. ;D

BUT -- note that there are some types of reading material for which it is possibly NOT ideal. For example, textbooks with lots of illustrations, or magazines with color images. And many find it not great for cookbooks because they'd rather not have the device in the kitchen while they're making messes! :eek:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
You know, the backlit/reflective thing is important, and the eink screen is much easier on the eyes. But I wonder about flicker with regular computer screens.

The typical CRT screen refreshes 60 times a second (other types of screens refresh differently and at different rates) and you're not supposed to notice it. But when I first saw an eink display, I was amazed at how stable it seemed. Which it should, because it is stable until you turn the page.

It's hard to describe until you see it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do not experience the eyestrain that people report while reading books on an LCD device (ie nook color & iPad). I decided to purchase an e-ink reader simply because I often read outside, which is near impossible to do on a backlit LCD screen. The nook color uses some sort of special screen coating to cut down on said glare, but it is still there and it is still distracting to see my a giant reflection of my head with a backdrop of trees when trying to read a book. However I can see where this may appeal to a narcissist, so YMMV!  ;D

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a lot of eye problems due to being at the computer all day for my job. The Kindle is nothing like my computer screen. I can read for hours on the Kindle and don't feel the eye strain and headaches that I do when using the computer. I chose the Kindle because the e-ink was so crisp and it looked a lot like a page in a printed book.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Honestly, if you have a good book on your Kindle, you will be reading it the way you would a good paperback.  The e-ink technology is fantastic.  The sceen does not glow and I never experience the eyestrain I get from reading a computer screen. 

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not only do I not have eye strain (which I was really developing & getting serious headaches) but I don't get stiff from sitting in the same position with my book directly under the lamp and I can switch hands because you can hold it & turn the page with one hand.

I went ahead and got an M-Edge light along with the M-Edge cover and the light works great when it's still daylight out but I don't want to bother turning on a lamp.

If the Kindle made margarita's it would be the ultimate all-purpose tool  ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow thanks very much everyone for your input. :)

I haven't had much of a chance to fiddle with my friend's yet...she was sitting on the other side of the room and I only saw her for a second. But everyone seems to have such good reports on the Kindle?? :D I live in Australia, so we can't buy Kindles in stores yet so I'm also tossing up whether to buy straight from amazon or risk it on ebay.

Whats the bet Kindle 4 will come out as soon as I get mine?  :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
bundabergsangel said:
Wow thanks very much everyone for your input. :)

I haven't had much of a chance to fiddle with my friend's yet...she was sitting on the other side of the room and I only saw her for a second. But everyone seems to have such good reports on the Kindle?? :D I live in Australia, so we can't buy Kindles in stores yet so I'm also tossing up whether to buy straight from amazon or risk it on ebay.

Whats the bet Kindle 4 will come out as soon as I get mine? :p
Too many scams on ebay.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I describe it as looking at a printed page under a pane of glass. Pretty easy on the eyes, I find.

As a fellow Australian, I'd say - go Amazon for the purchase, seriously. Ebay is rarely cheaper (!), you risk getting a dodgy unit, and Amazon have a fantastic reputation as far as fixing problems with your Kindle go. I'm a big ebay fan, but you're better off with Amazon for this one, I think.

Another thing to keep in mind - you should probably have a cover of some sort. The e-ink screens are too fragile to just be shoved in a bag naked. All sorts of sleeves, covers and cases are available on Amazon and elsewhere. It might pay to go direct to the seller's website OR their ebay store, though - I find the third-party postage fees via Amazon are often quite a bit higher than the same seller via their website or ebay. This is what I just bought for daily travel: CaseCrown Hard Zip Case - haven't received it yet, though.

Hope that helps!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts