Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow readers,

We are a group of students researching the subject of "the importance of speed reading on E-books".
We would appreciate if you would be able to fill out our survey (link below).
It will only take 2 minutes of your time :)

Thank you very much!

P.S - this research is hypothetical. We are not trying to market anything - just further understand the subject above.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGtZVTVHUWdqWGNSc3FvRERqRmRWeGc6MQ#gid=0

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Based on the survey question "We have an application that enhances your reading speed, with no additional effort. Would you be interested in using it? " it sure sounds like you're at least doing market research, if not actively engaged in selling something now.

I won't be filling out the survey.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That question, and the follow up question how much would you pay for it, are there in order to give you an actual VISUALIZATION of the research question
That is in order to receive real answers based on a hypothetical app.

The survey is not mandatory of course, so if you are not interested in filling it out, it is ok :)

Thank you for the initial effort though.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Fair enough.

It made me feel like I'd been tricked: your post says you're not selling anything and then the survey says "we have an app that. . . ."

Just my perspective.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True,
That question was initially "if there was an app..." but our professor insisted on it being "we have an app..."

Sorry for the confusion.

We would very much appreciate filling out this survey (these forums are the main places to receive genuine answers from people who love reading!)

After we have enough surveys filled we will analyze the data in SPSS and post the results here for all to see.

Dan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh dear. Reading faster? Doesn't that depend on what one's rate of reading is now? And doesn't that depend on the book one is reading at the time. As for the app you say you have . . . .  No, sorry, I nearly didn't even bother to say that I'm not going to respond. I'm not. Perhaps another topic might elicit a better response?
All the best.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Well, really, the main question is as to whether reading faster is important to you.  It's not to me.  But it might be to some.  On that basis, I was initially perfectly willing to answer as such.

But, as I said before, I didn't like that the OP says it's not marketing but the survey implies it is.  I'd suggest changing one thing or the other so folks don't feel misled.  I actually think 'if there was an app' is probably better wording to make it feel less like a marketing survey. :-\

Looking at the survey again, I also have a problem with the question about how many of each thing you read annually.  If my answer is 1 or 2 there's nowhere to say that! :eek:

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
i'm with ann...  where's the 1-2 option.  and since when are magazines "books"?  and do you mean to i read how many issues of a magazine i read, or how many different magazines i read?

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
tipsy telstar said:
i'm with ann... where's the 1-2 option. and since when are magazines "books"? and do you mean to i read how many issues of a magazine i read, or how many different magazines i read?
O.K. that's just semantics. :) No need to pile on.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
O.K. that's just semantics. :) No need to pile on.
i'm sorry, it was confusing to me. i'm not allowed to ask about it? i'm trying to help the OP make the best survey he can, sorry if you see it as piling on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the comments!
You are right! we missed the 1-2 option, the option is now 1-5 books. Of course there is a difference between 1 book or 5 books, but the numbers are for the entire year so 1-5 books in terms of amount mean just a small amount of books (compared to the statistic that the average reader reads 24 books per year on an E-reader)

Regarding magazines - the amount people read on an E-reader (not paperback magazines) - which was added to the survey as a note.

Again thank you very much we are almost at half the amount of the survey responses, in order to get a real statistical analysis.

Dan

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I don't understand how an app can make me read faster, unless it was an app teaching me how to speed read or something? But I'm not interested in that. I read for the enjoyment, for the experience... not to read as fast as I can or read as many books as I can per year. Somehow, I imagine that if I speed read, I might not be able to fully immerse myself in the book - or relax! Half of why I read is to relax so I don't want to feel like I'm rushing it.

I don't mind contributing to market research, if that's what it is. I frequently sign up for those things - I'm on one for the BBC's magazines.

·
Registered
19,908 Posts
DC said:
Thank you for the comments!
You are right! we missed the 1-2 option, the option is now 1-5 books. Of course there is a difference between 1 book or 5 books, but the numbers are for the entire year so 1-5 books in terms of amount mean just a small amount of books (compared to the statistic that the average reader reads 24 books per year on an E-reader)

Regarding magazines - the amount people read on an E-reader (not paperback magazines) - which was added to the survey as a note.

Again thank you very much we are almost at half the amount of the survey responses, in order to get a real statistical analysis.

Dan
DC, I'm still confused about the magazine thing. I read two different magazines on my kindle, but that's 18 issues. So do you which do you want?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Need to have an option for thosewho already read hundreds of books per year.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
I took the survey. It was quick and painless but I'm afraid I'm not especially interested in reading faster. Reading is something I do for leisure, so I like to take my time and enjoy it.  :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I use my e-reader for pleasure reading...and speed is not a priority. More the opposite really.

And while we are doing a pilot for e-readers (different brands, models, and devices)...for our employees that travel, speed is not a priority for them either, in the surveys we've done and the feedback we've gotten.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts