Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done lots of reading about the pros and cons of Select on the boards here, but I'm still wondering: if I don't want to take advantage of the free days (I will only have the one book at the start, so there's no cascading effect, and many posters here have noted the end of the algorithmic boost the free days used to give), is there still an advantage to being in the Select program? Does Amazon give more weight to exclusive books than non-exclusive ones?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I've only got one book in Select, entered in mid-December, and so far I've not seen any great advantage to it. However, with only one book to sell, I don't see that it'll be any advantage at all to you. Ideally (in my thinking, at least), the Select free days would give readers a chance to sample the author's writing style, so with luck, the reader might go on to buy the author's other books. If you don't have other books to sell, and you don't use the free days... seems to me all you're doing is limiting your sales options.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Of course it is an advantage if you don't intend to sell anywhere else....

It gives you the ability to have readers borrow your books which can give you a share of the loan fund for each month and also the 70% royalty in India which won't impact hugely unless you have the next script for a number one Bollywood film.

But the borrowing facility is great - although I would use at least one free day a month, the ability to promote by doing this is hugely rewarding :)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Advantages:

• Not having to deal with the other vendors (yes, I am this lazy).
  • Borrows on 99c ebooks. Hello.
  • Additional exposure to Kindle owners because of placement in the KOLL.
  • NOT HAVING TO DEAL WITH THE OTHER VENDORS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had ebooks listed with Smashwords, and although authors can offer discount coupons to make their books free or low priced, it wasn't totally clear to me how to market to multiple sites like Nook and Apple.  With KDP Select Amazon makes it crystal clear. I also understand from some other authors that Amazon will help push authors who are doing increasing business, but not sure if that's only for Select authors, it's not a formal program or anything, I don't think.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Borrows are great, not dealing with other vendors is also nice.
But if your book is at the bottom of the pile, no one will SEE it to borrow it, and you're just as invisible as if you'd at the bottom of the pile at Kobo or B&N.
I think Amazon's search options and lists are better than the other sellers but, across the board, visibility is everything. Marketing yourself IS important.
Select is not a magic bullet and the freebie days are increasingly ineffective unless you get on POI or ENT, which doesn't happen for new books without reviews.

It's all a big crap shoot! :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
smreine said:
Wait...I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here...? :D (Yeah, I have to say, I'm kind of amazed at how poorly the other online book vendors seem to be running their business vis a vis Amazon.)

I'd forgotten about the KOLL, actually -- I'm a Kindle owner and I've never once borrowed a book. (I never access Amazon via my Kindle -- maybe it's easier on the Fire?) But that's a very good point.

Jena H said:
If you don't have other books to sell, and you don't use the free days... seems to me all you're doing is limiting your sales options.
That's what I was wondering, even though I know lots of writers on KB report that Amazon is a huge percentage of their income. If I did Select but didn't do free days (I'm much more a perma-free the first one to entice people to read the others, if I had others, of course), I was wondering if it really was a win.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Quiss.  I'm at the bottom of the pile (just pubbed the book 12/10) and I'm not seeing any advantage to KDP. I've a had a handful or sales and one borrow. I don't think anyone will ever see the book without a lot of marketing. I'm sending out copies for reviews now so hopefully once I have some I can advertise and try the free days option but yeah, so far I'm not seeing anything special with going KDP.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
smreine said:
Advantages:

• Not having to deal with the other vendors (yes, I am this lazy).
  • Borrows on 99c ebooks. Hello.
  • Additional exposure to Kindle owners because of placement in the KOLL.
I"m so glad I'm not the only one. For a year I kept saying I'd get my act together and get on other places....and then I just caved and went select. I'm curious to see what my 7 borrows in 12 days on a $.99 book will be.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I had ebooks listed with Smashwords, and although authors can offer discount coupons to make their books free or low priced, it wasn't totally clear to me how to market to multiple sites like Nook and Apple.
Click on dashboard. Click on ISBN manager. Assign an ISBN to your book (just use the free one). Click on Dashboard. Click on channel manager and scroll down to your book. Select where you want it sent to or not and save. Done. Check your

If you're US based, you're better off going to B&N/Nook direct at www.pubit.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm new here to Kindleboards but published my first book on September 18th. I opted into the Select program and have been pretty happy with the results of my sales on Amazon. When my Select membership ended in mid-December I briefly listed my book with several other online retailers and found their publication processes to be mind boggling compared to Amazon's. After a few weeks with the book listed on the other sites I had seen very little in the way of sales. Knowing several successful authors who said their sales were extremely low through all the other retailers (B&N, Smashwords ETC.) I quickly opted back into Select and have seen a nice sales bump after doing a three day free promo. Even though I only have the one book to offer right now it has been my experience that the free days do help somewhat. I've used a total of five since September and each time have received a sales bump.

~ Ian   

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.