Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I admit, I read everywhere. I read while walking, I read in the bathroom, I even have my kindle open and ready in case I get stuck at a red light. So tonight after work I realized I really, really needed some caffeine if I was going to do paperwork when I got home. I zip through the Starbucks drive thru, and as I'm waiting for my tall Caramel Frappucino, I figure let's get through a few more screens of The Accidental Time Machine. The guy leans out to hand me my drink and I hear "Is that a Kindle?" Next thing I know I've passed it through the window. (There was no car behind me.) "Can I press the button?" He presses the button. Then he's calling his coworker over "Watch this" and presses the next page button again. I think he reverted to age five for a minute, fascinated with just seeing what clicking the button does.

So now I've got my coffee, I'm back on the highway, and chuckling as yet again my K2 shows its star power.

Oh and I did sell a DX this week, a friend is buying one for her husband. She had me on chat the entire time about accessories.

Lara Amber

·
Registered
710 Posts
Haha. That's pretty funny. I should try that with my DX. Go get a coffee, bring my DX, since I never bother going through the drive-thru. See if anyone knows what it is.

Nobody around my area has one to my knowledge, which makes me kind of sad. I constantly have to keep telling people what a Kindle even is. It gets old pretty fast.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I love when strangers show excitement or interest.
I don't think I've sold any to strangers yet but my mom and my sister both got one strictly after seeing mine. Although I'm the one that purchased my mom's for her but she still got one right? LOL

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was eating lunch and reading yesterday.  This girl, 18-19yrs old, comes over to my table and asks if the kindle is any good.  Her eyes were wide, her hands were up by her face and I thought she was going to jump out of her skin she was so excited.  It was amusing to say the least.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Our various drive thrus are VERY slow here. I always have my Kindle in my lap or propped up on my steering wheel while in line. I get asked about mine all the time, and once I get the $ set aside for a DX, I can foresee many many more questions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I often take my K1 with me on Boy Scout camping trips.  Once the scouts are out doing what they do, there is often time to kick back and enjoy nature by reading my high-tech device ::).  From time to time they will come back to camp and see me reading and they become fascinated by the Kindle.  (BTW many of the scouts in my troop love to read!)  Most are amazed by how easy it is to read and use.  Quite a few like all the buttons.  And usually there is one that asks one of the following questions:
1)  Does it play games?
2)  Can it play music?
3)  Does it play videos?

Of course the only one I can answer yes is number 2.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Cycles4Fun - congratulations on your first post!  And congratulations on being a boy scout  ;)  It's really nice to have you here and posting.  Why don't you go over to the Intro and Welcome Thread and tell us a little more about you and get some more welcomes  :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
It happens to me all the time when I work at the pool bar at the hotel. It's getting hot down in NC so on weekends, I go down to my little bar by the pool and pretty much do nothing for 8 hours but read on the Kindle and sell drinks. When a person comes up, I set my Kindle down and nearly every other person asks me about it.

I really dread the question "what book are you reading?" though. I'm always half tempted to answer Hefnerland and watch their reaction. lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got back from a week in Orlando. I was in line for a ride - an 80 minute wait - and I pulled out my Kindle 2. It was not long before I was approached, almost apologetically for interrupting my reading, by someone who wanted to know what I had and all the other normal questions that come after the first one. I love sharing info on my K2 to people. You can always tell the readers from the non-readers. My 15 year-old son asked me to download books on his summer reading list to it - anything to get him to read, right? By the time we left Orlando, my son had the K2 spiel down and would tell people about it without interrupting my reading - except for those who wanted a hands on demo. It sure made the waiting time for the rides much more bearable.

I also take my K2 to the gym with me on the days I ride the bike. It balances perfectly on the display screen - which is a good rouse to hide how far I have gone and how long I have been at it  :eek: . If I have a really good book, I can ride the bike for an hour plus with out knowing it. I guess I can thank the K2 for increasing the amount of time I spend in the gym - LOL.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ltlredfairy said:
I just got back from a week in Orlando. I was in line for a ride - an 80 minute wait - and I pulled out my Kindle 2. It was not long before I was approached, almost apologetically for interrupting my reading, by someone who wanted to know what I had and all the other normal questions that come after the first one. I love sharing info on my K2 to people. You can always tell the readers from the non-readers. My 15 year-old son asked me to download books on his summer reading list to it - anything to get him to read, right? By the time we left Orlando, my son had the K2 spiel down and would tell people about it without interrupting my reading - except for those who wanted a hands on demo. It sure made the waiting time for the rides much more bearable.
I'm going to Cedar Point in Ohio and I'd LOVE to be able to do this, but I have a question. What did you do with it while ON the ride? I'd be terrified taking my K2 on a rollercoaster with me...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was at my nephews HS graduation last week, and at the reception my sister told me to take her coworker inside and show her my"thing" (I was sent inside cuz my family just doesn't understand Kindle, or reading in general).  So I took Peggy inside, telling her, its something I don't leave home without, especially while traveling. I handed her my K2, and she said "OH WOW, I HAVE A K1"  I couldn't believe it a real live kindle owner.  She ran outside to show her husband, and I got into trouble for bringing it outside. HA HA!!  So we sat in a corner and talked Kindle for quite a while, I told her all about KB's, and decal girl, and Oberon etc...  This is the closest I've come to a kindle in the wild, she didn't have hers with her, but to finally talk to someone who understands..........

·
Registered
16 Posts
tashab said:
I'm going to Cedar Point in Ohio and I'd LOVE to be able to do this, but I have a question. What did you do with it while ON the ride? I'd be terrified taking my K2 on a rollercoaster with me...
I have it in a leather case from M-edge. But, I also had a backpack with me to carry around water and snacks. The backpack is "waterproof" but I went one step further and put the K2 in a Ziploc bag as well - I am glad I did because it rained a bit each day. So, while on the rides, it was stashed in the backpack on the ride with us or in a locker.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Love the stories!!!! I love to hear how excited people get about seeing the kindle.....but you know I think I still feel the same way about my K1! And I'd be thrilled to meet another K owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I eat out for lunch every day and it has gotten to the point that I have at least one or two people stop and either ask "What is that?" or "Is that a Kindle?" every day  I can't count how many I think I may have sold for Amazon.

I got it in February with the Kindle 2 launch and the first couple of weeks the only people who knew what it was were my 10 yr old niece and my friend's 8 & 11 yr olds.  But as the weeks have gone on I have more and more people who either know what it is and want to touch it, or are extremely curious about what it is.  I often have a  group of servers in a restaurant gathered around my table for a demo.  And other customers either hear the servers talking about it or are just waking past and make a u-turn back to my table.

It's gotten pretty funny - but I have to say it is really a "guy magnet"  LOL!

-kate

·
Registered
229 Posts
ltlredfairy said:
I also take my K2 to the gym with me on the days I ride the bike. It balances perfectly on the display screen - which is a good rouse to hide how far I have gone and how long I have been at it :eek: . If I have a really good book, I can ride the bike for an hour plus with out knowing it. I guess I can thank the K2 for increasing the amount of time I spend in the gym - LOL.
I do this and have more people ask me what it was. Nothing like panting on the treadmill and trying to explain what the Kindle is and does.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
ltlredfairy said:
I also take my K2 to the gym with me on the days I ride the bike. It balances perfectly on the display screen - which is a good rouse to hide how far I have gone and how long I have been at it :eek: . If I have a really good book, I can ride the bike for an hour plus with out knowing it. I guess I can thank the K2 for increasing the amount of time I spend in the gym - LOL.
ltlredfairy,
How do you turn the pages when you are on the bike? I'm a new owner, and want to take mine to the gym, but I'm a little anxious.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cycles4Fun said:
I often take my K1 with me on Boy Scout camping trips. Once the scouts are out doing what they do, there is often time to kick back and enjoy nature by reading my high-tech device ::). From time to time they will come back to camp and see me reading and they become fascinated by the Kindle. (BTW many of the scouts in my troop love to read!) Most are amazed by how easy it is to read and use. Quite a few like all the buttons. And usually there is one that asks one of the following questions:
1) Does it play games?
2) Can it play music?
3) Does it play videos?

Of course the only one I can answer yes is number 2.
Welcome fellow Scouter! I'm actually the ScoutMaster's widow. But I have been the "Mom" on outings and my kindle came in very handy!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts