Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this tantalizing bit of text in a CNet review:

"As for textbook reading, we can see how the Kindle DX would have a distinct advantage over the Kindle 2. Also, for seniors or other sight-challenged folks who want to jack up the font size to the maximum level, reading on the DX is a better experience, because you can get a reasonable amount of text on the page, and the maximum font size is even bigger on the DX than the Kindle 2. With the font set to the highest level on the Kindle 2, we counted 11 lines of text with about five words per sentence. By contrast, on the Kindle DX, we counted 19 lines of text and six or seven words per line. (Note to arthritis sufferers: because the Kindle DX is somewhat weighty, you'll probably want to prop it up on some sort of reading stand. You can also flip Amazon's Kindle DX cover around so it becomes an easel, but you'll have to read in landscape mode for it to work)."

Is this saying what it appears to be saying? Is the DX font larger than K2? Say it's so! :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
crueltobekindle said:
Is this saying what it appears to be saying? Is the DX font larger than K2? Say it's so! :)
I tried to measure. On the DX, a capital D is 5 mm tall while on the K2, a capital D is 4 mm tall, so it appears that the DX fonts might be a hair bigger. What makes it seem so much better is how much more text fits on the page. If I tried to read at size 6 on the K2, I'd be changing the page every second. On the DX, it actually looks like a page of text, not just a few lines.

L

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agreed, they seem marginally bigger, but nothing too striking. I suppose it makes sense given the extra screen real estate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot! Tempting....

I am a little worried about the weight. I hold reading material inches from my eyes and can't help but wonder if the DX will be too heavy to hold in such a position for an extended period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts