Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I think there's another thread discussing this topic, perhaps Kindles in the Media? If so, we'll merge it. In the meantime, it's an interesting premise and the idea that we are leasing our books certainly has merit, especially if you read the thread on Kindle on 7th device thread.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,5678.0.html

Betsy

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
I think there can be a healthly debate over DRM and there have been several discussions about it on this board and others.  I don't agree that using a Kindle for reading material is "at the expense of Freedom or foreclosure of thought".  I didn't loan DTBs before Kindle, but I would "share" with someone I thought might be interested that there was a particular book I thought they should read - I can still do that and there are those on this board that do it every day.  I have broadened the style of reading material I buy because of reviews and recommendations - books I would have never even looked at before; so in that sense my freedom of thought has expanded not been foreclosed upon.  I don't think swapping thoughts about a book or talking someone into buying their own version of a book versus handing them the book itself is a trojan horse that will lead to the demise of society!  

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
There are some sources of Kindle books that are not DRM protected. Smashwords, for one, and often the author or publisher will offer books in unprotected Mobipocket format. In my opinion, Adobe has been the biggest impediment to a more open and universal book format. They make it easy to convert files to PDF and nearly impossible to convert from PDF. Their method of DRM protection is draconian.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
The article is fine but I am tired of people saying that it is difficult to download non-Amazon books to their Kindles. It is not difficult. It is easy to do so.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
ProfCrash said:
The article is fine but I am tired of people saying that it is difficult to download non-Amazon books to their Kindles. It is not difficult. It is easy to do so.
Agreed. It can't be too difficult, I've done it. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts