Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
YES!!

I ordered paperback author copies through Amazon. And boy. There's a difference. The ones that come from Barnes & Noble--which they print via Ingram-- are sooooo much nicer. Better cover stock. Better binding.

The paperbacks I ordered from Amazon, the cover paper curls up slightly at the ends, fresh out of the box. And, I have had readers complain of the bindings completely falling apart even on new books.

I'm considering migrating all of my paperbacks to Ingram Spark next year, because of this.

I cannot speak to Lulu though. If you have the option of ordering a sample, I'd recommend doing so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've ordered books from Lulu (for personal projects) over the years, and I think their quality has gone down noticeably. It's not terrible, but I would say it's not up to the standards of IS, and it's also too expensive for anything but one-off personal things. I would never consider using it for publishing my books to readers.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the insight. I have never ordered one of my paperbacks from B&N, though I offer them there.

DmGuay said:
YES!!

I ordered paperback author copies through Amazon. And boy. There's a difference. The ones that come from Barnes & Noble--which they print via Ingram-- are sooooo much nicer. Better cover stock. Better binding.

The paperbacks I ordered from Amazon, the cover paper curls up slightly at the ends, fresh out of the box. And, I have had readers complain of the bindings completely falling apart even on new books.

I'm considering migrating all of my paperbacks to Ingram Spark next year, because of this.

I cannot speak to Lulu though. If you have the option of ordering a sample, I'd recommend doing so.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked prices, and you are right. Will stick with alternatives. Thanks.

ShawnaReads said:
I've ordered books from Lulu (for personal projects) over the years, and I think their quality has gone down noticeably. It's not terrible, but I would say it's not up to the standards of IS, and it's also too expensive for anything but one-off personal things. I would never consider using it for publishing my books to readers.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Marseille said:
From what I can see, my readers most definitely prefer paperbacks. I have almost zero ebook sales. When the expanded distribution stats come in, all I can do is wonder. I guess they are receiving better copies at a discounted price now.

Hmmm.

Who knows?

Amazon.

lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts