Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hashing out how I'm going to write the next book. I wrote the last with yWriter and was pretty satisfied with it. But Scrivener's corkboard intrigues me. What I'm thinking is if I could just have the corkboard, I would do the rest on yWriter. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Gregg Bell said:
I'm hashing out how I'm going to write the next book. I wrote the last with yWriter and was pretty satisfied with it. But Scrivener's corkboard intrigues me. What I'm thinking is if I could just have the corkboard, I would do the rest on yWriter. Thanks.
The power of the Scrivener corkboard is in its direct link to the scenes/chapters. I think you'll get more value out of the similar but not quite identical features within yWriter than you would by trying to tack on a different piece of software for this one purpose. It's call chapter details or something in ywriter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I realize this isn't what you asked for, but may I make a plea for an actual cork board? Or better, post it notes on a wall?

I find a computer screen is simply too small to have both an overview and the detail at the same time, and while it may be easy to move things around, and useful to click to connect to the relevant chapter, for me neither of these outweigh the advantages of having the whole plot laid out in exactly the way you want it (following story strands, POVs, character arcs - whatever, you choose) in front of you on a wall - and what's more, all visible at the same time without the need to zoom in or out if you want to check a detail.

PS The same criticism applies to mind-mapping - I find a large piece of paper (or several taped together) so much easier to work with than the mind-mapping programs I've tried.

PPS I did consider tiling part of the wall near my desk with cork so that I could have a humungously sized actual cork board, but the post it notes work just as well.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ShayneRutherford said:
Scrivener has a free 30-day trial. Give it a try and see if you like it.
Thanks Shayne. I've been trying it for the last few days. But I keep getting drawn back to yWriter's simplicity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J. Tanner said:
The power of the Scrivener corkboard is in its direct link to the scenes/chapters. I think you'll get more value out of the similar but not quite identical features within yWriter than you would by trying to tack on a different piece of software for this one purpose. It's call chapter details or something in ywriter.
Thanks J. I've been exploring the yWriter manual and have been amazed at how many useful features are there. I haven't quite found anything like a corkboard (I found a storyboard) but I'll keep searching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WegR said:
I realize this isn't what you asked for, but may I make a plea for an actual cork board? Or better, post it notes on a wall?

I find a computer screen is simply too small to have both an overview and the detail at the same time, and while it may be easy to move things around, and useful to click to connect to the relevant chapter, for me neither of these outweigh the advantages of having the whole plot laid out in exactly the way you want it (following story strands, POVs, character arcs - whatever, you choose) in front of you on a wall - and what's more, all visible at the same time without the need to zoom in or out if you want to check a detail.

PS The same criticism applies to mind-mapping - I find a large piece of paper (or several taped together) so much easier to work with than the mind-mapping programs I've tried.

PPS I did consider tiling part of the wall near my desk with cork so that I could have a humungously sized actual cork board, but the post it notes work just as well.
Thanks WegR. It's amazing but I have a big corkboard in my basement that I almost threw out. I wonder if I've been too dependent on technology to make it work, but I'll bring it up and take a look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
OneNote comes with most Microsoft Office versions. It's basically a bunch of little individual notes stuck around on a corkboard, and you can have multiple boards.

In the past, I've used the StickyNotes app for Windows. It's pretty cool, like having PostIt notes stuck on your monitor. In looking at, as a matter of fact, I'm downloading it and will see if I want to start using it again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/sticky-notes-post-virtual-notes-on-your-desktop/9n110gmw1xts?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MaxDaemon said:
OneNote comes with most Microsoft Office versions. It's basically a bunch of little individual notes stuck around on a corkboard, and you can have multiple boards.

In the past, I've used the StickyNotes app for Windows. It's pretty cool, like having PostIt notes stuck on your monitor. In looking at, as a matter of fact, I'm downloading it and will see if I want to start using it again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/sticky-notes-post-virtual-notes-on-your-desktop/9n110gmw1xts?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab
Thanks Max. I actually used One Note before. I forgot about. I'll re-visit it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I love OneNote and Evernote for a variety of purposes, but Google Keep has a lot of great corkboard features, and I highly recommend Milanote at https://milanote.com. The basic free version is going to be enough for most people. It also has several writing-specific templates for story lines, characters, world-building and more. Plus a free web clipper that is super useful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LitAgent said:
I love OneNote and Evernote for a variety of purposes, but Google Keep has a lot of great corkboard features, and I highly recommend Milanote at https://milanote.com. The basic free version is going to be enough for most people. It also has several writing-specific templates for story lines, characters, world-building and more. Plus a free web clipper that is super useful.
Thanks Agent. Google Keep (was new to me) does have a great corkboard and Milanote looks sweet too. Appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Maybe consider Plottr.

It's not exactly a corkboard but it's very flexible in its ability to move scene cards around on a timeline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nail file said:
Maybe consider Plottr.

It's not exactly a corkboard but it's very flexible in its ability to move scene cards around on a timeline.
Thanks nail file. Also I found that Manuskript has a corkboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I'm a big fan of yWriter too! I use Microsoft OneNote for my notes, and Aeon Timeline to keep track of my timelines because I'm writing historical fiction. Aeon Timeline might work for you as it allows you to create "events" and gives you a visual representation of them, and you can move them around. (Cool for fantasy writers because you can create a custom calendar for your own universe!)

The closest thing I can think of to a corkboard would be Trello, and maybe Asana, which is similar.

H.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HelenM said:
I'm a big fan of yWriter too! I use Microsoft OneNote for my notes, and Aeon Timeline to keep track of my timelines because I'm writing historical fiction. Aeon Timeline might work for you as it allows you to create "events" and gives you a visual representation of them, and you can move them around. (Cool for fantasy writers because you can create a custom calendar for your own universe!)

The closest thing I can think of to a corkboard would be Trello, and maybe Asana, which is similar.

H.
Thanks Helen. You know, the more I've delved into this, the more I'm liking yWriter. And it has a very simple timeline aspect too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Another option I really like, but not downloadable..it's web-based - Trello.com . It let's you very quickly create/rearrange Kanban-style scrum boards. I have a column for Maybe/Ideas, then another for To Do Next, another Doing, and a Done column.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top