Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Ettieg,

welcome to KindleBoards!

Amazon had a larger eInk Kindle--the Kindle DX.  While it had its fans, a lot of our member had one, it didn't sell all that well.  But I think that was partly the price.  Maybe, as Amazon has been selling their Kindles quite a bit more cheaply these days, maybe it's time to try again....

Betsy

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Here is a guide to current and hopefully future large format eReaders.

http://www.ereaderguide.info/ereader_table_large.htm

In short, the future for large eye-easy eReaders looks grim, and this is more than a convenience issue for the visually impaired. Fortunately, zero eye strain stereoscopic VR goggles are just around the corner (http://www.oculusvr.com/). I've used similar tech implemented in the DaVinci surgical system (http://youtu.be/Xzy0CECzBNg), and I can testify that the eye strain is nonexistent. Expect sub-three hundred dollar units in eighteen months or so.

Betsy probably thinks I'm loco now, but I'm okay with that. :)

B.

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
Yeah, I have a DX too. . .it's good for my tax pubs which generally come in PDF format. . . . . I got mine (second one) as a refurbished unit for $199 (the first had been given to my aunt who was severely vision impaired -- that one was over $400).

I think the problem is that the eInk in that size just cost a LOT more to make and there wasn't as much demand. And, at this point, it's no more expensive to buy a color tablet that does more stuff. :-\

PLUS, I think they were trying to market it for Textbooks and such -- for which it would be good -- as long as there wasn't a need for color pictures or anything. And, unfortunately, a LOT of textbooks use color extensively, even if they're mostly text.

Anyway, I'll be frankly surprised if a dedicated e-reader comes out in a larger size again. I think the move is toward tablets. But, "never say never". :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Can't really see one much larger coming out, really.  Maybe one that has better contrast, or something.  But, not anything much larger than the 6-inch screens we get now (DX aside).

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I think the problem is that the eInk in that size just cost a LOT more to make and there wasn't as much demand. And, at this point, it's no more expensive to buy a color tablet that does more stuff. :-\
I would say that there had been plenty of demand, but that the 9''-10'' LCD devices managed to steal away much of the PDF / textbook market. (About 80% of the medical school class following mine is studying off 10-inch tablets, but not a single one of them is employing an eInk device.)

With the PDF / textbook market gone, and the smaller format eInk devices being heavily subsidized by all parties involved, there was then insufficient demand to sustain large format eReaders. It also didn't hurt that the DX-Graphite was hobbled with generation 2.5.8 kindle software, but now I'm just sounding bitter. :D

B.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I don't see another one coming out after the DX didn't sell well.

IMO tablets are the way to go for reading things that need a larger screen like letter sized documents and what not.  Easier to pan around with the faster refresh rates--which also makes it easier to highlight, jot notes etc., color for pictures and figures in textbooks and reference books and so on.  I'm a professor and love my iPad 2 for reading PDFs of scholarly journal articles, marking up papers etc.

That said, I know some people's eyes can't stand reading on LCD screens, so that's a big issues for the time being.  Eventually Mirasol, Pixel QI or some other company will perfect screen tech that can switch between LCD and an e-ink like reflective mode though and that problem will be solved.  But it will take time for that to happen and prices on the tech to drop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.