Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking bad reviews, I'm talking about the ones where someone copies and pastes the same review on dozens of items the same day and the 'reviews' don't make any sense. I received two of these reviews today. Here's what they said:

'Got what was ordered and expected in timely fashion! word word word word word word word word word word word'.

Apparently the review doesn't meet the minimum word requirement so the person just wrote word a bunch of times to meet it. I got the review removed on one book, haven't tried on the other yet. It's not helpful to anyone, especially the reader. I just wondered if there was some site out there that rewarded people who leave a lot of reviews. I thought I  had heard something about that being the case one time.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
This has come up a couple times already. Amazon is forcing people to review things under certain circumstances, and forcing them to enter a certain amount of words. It has been the cause of several 1 star reviews and a lot of WC board tremors.

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
vrabinec said:
This has come up a couple times already. Amazon is forcing people to review things under certain circumstances, and forcing them to enter a certain amount of words. It has been the cause of several 1 star reviews and a lot of WC board tremors.
Yeah. . . I don't buy that.

I've often gotten emails requesting that I review something I've bought. But I'm not forced to.

It is true that there's a minimum word count if you want to leave a review.

And that you have to leave a review if you want to leave a rating.

But all that is different to someone posting gibberish to a bunch of different products. Don't know what that's all about! :eek:

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:

I've often gotten emails requesting that I review something I've bought. But I'm not forced to.

But all that is different to someone posting gibberish to a bunch of different products. Don't know what that's all about! :eek:
Ann, from the wording in at least one of my reviews, I assure you that there are people who THINK they are required to post a review. The reviewer said they were required to post a review for any of their reviews "to count". While I am sure it is a misunderstanding of what Amazon is saying, that doesn't help much from an authors' point of view or, for that matter, of people who use reviews to get opinions on novels.

Yep, there has been a fair amount of whining and I'm amongst the whiners. I have several reviews of the "I haven't read this yet but Amazon said to post something" sort.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Yeah I've never seen a forced review. They request via email sometimes. What are they going to do? Not take your money if you don't review products? :)

I'm sure that VINE people have to actually review the products they receive for promotional purposes, but they're also not going to leave a blah blah blah review.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Mathew Reuther said:
Yeah I've never seen a forced review. They request via email sometimes. What are they going to do? Not take your money if you don't review products? :)

I'm sure that VINE people have to actually review the products they receive for promotional purposes, but they're also not going to leave a blah blah blah review.
They'll apparently send an Amazon thug to your door to break your kneecaps. :D

Who knows what people are thinking but I could post links to the reviews if it were allowed. There are people out there who think that they have to.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
JRTomlin said:
They'll apparently send an Amazon thug to your door to break your kneecaps. :D

Who knows what people are thinking but I could post links to the reviews if it were allowed. There are people out there who think that they have to.
I have no doubt that there are. My mother (who has an MA plus some god-awful number of credits)-after decades of computer use-STILL needs post-it-notes to do simple tasks. People are quirky, and some don't understand certain things. The fact that there are people out there who think Amazon will send thugs doesn't shock me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
This^^^ (Bolding is mine)

Even if we get a few nonsensicals, I'd rather have potential readers see an explanation for why someone did/did not like the book. Drive-by star rating are useless to everyone. I got my first lower rating on my latest book last night and am so glad the reviewer took the time to explain those two stars. If she hadn't, potential readers wouldn't know it was the topic she didn't enjoy, not the writing.

But, if she had left a low rating and said what the OP's reviewer did, I don't think anyone would have paid attention. So... actually, let me think about this. Okay, new opinion - from here on out I want all my low-star ratings to have nothing but gibberish. LOL. Just kidding ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts