Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
No, it takes a bit of technological competence.  How would you get the hack without downloading it?  Amazon does not supply it.  The Kindle browser will not let you download binary files.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
EvilB said:
Aww... man. As I said, I am technologically backwards and do not want to download malware onto my kindle.
The hack has been in use for many months in its current incarnation, probably by thousands of users, with no report yet of any malware associated with it. But, if you don't want to risk it, you could find a used Kindle 1 and make use of its built-in screen-saver capability (http://blogkindle.com/2009/03/kindle-1-screensaver-hack/). :)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Do you still see all of the old "dead author" screensavers, or are they at least gone? (If they're still there, then the hack probably did not work.)

Also, are you doing a restart after copying the new image files into the screensaver folder (under the linkss folder)?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I'm having absolutely NO luck with this. I've got a K2 v2.5.2. I've downloaded the hack kindle-jailbreak-0.7. Pulled, update_jailbreak_0.7.N_k2_install.bin and put it into the root folder on the K. Update Your Kindle remains not available, so I have no idea what to do next.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
HappyGuy said:
I'm having absolutely NO luck with this. I've got a K2 v2.5.2. I've downloaded the hack kindle-jailbreak-0.7. Pulled, update_jailbreak_0.7.N_k2_install.bin and put it into the root folder on the K. Update Your Kindle remains not available, so I have no idea what to do next.
Outside of something blatant like putting it in the wrong folder on the Kindle or the hack file being corrupted somehow, this often indicates that you don't have the right .bin file for your type of Kindle. Is it possible you have the international (sometimes called "global") Kindle 2? In that case, you want to use the files with "k2i" in the file name, instead of just "k2".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts