Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

With the current paperwhite kids sale I finally decided it was time to upgrade from my 9 year old PPW2 and also take advantage of the 20% off and $25 trade-in offers. I started the trade in and got messages/emails that said I got an instant $25 gift card and 20% discount. I could see the 20% discount when I added the kindle to my cart and started the check out process, but I never saw the $25 gift card get added.

I ended up chatting with 2 amazon people and they both said I needed to send it in first, which is how I thought this was supposed to work; instant 20% off, gift card after they receive and appraise the device. But all the communication said I had been given the gift card already, but I had not. I assumed that maybe it was a glitch or something, so I cancelled the trade in (a bit apprehensively because it gave me a warning they would take the $25 from my gift card balance or charge my credit card, though I've gotten no charges so far) and tried again.

Now each time I try, there is no language about "instant" and it is very clear that both the discount and trad-in only happen after they receive the device. I was a little surprised by this, as I thought the discount was always instant, but searching online indicates it no longer always is. The sale will likely not last long enough for me to send it in and use the discount on the sale price (and since I've only bought one kindle in 9 years, I need the discount to apply to this one). So, I believe I am stuck waiting for another sale to hopefully maximize the amount of time I have to send in the trade in.

But that made me wonder if there is anything that triggers the instant discount? I got it once, but can't again. If anyone has any tips or tricks, I'd appreciate it.

· Registered
6,619 Posts
I used to get them instantly. But the last 4-5 that I have traded in the the past few years were not instant; I gotvthe discount and gift card after sending the device back.
I think Ann was able to go to a local store and do her trade. I tried that at an Amazon counter at a Whole Foods and it was a nightmare. The young lady had no idea how to do a trade-in vs a return. It only took a few days after sending in from UPS store to get discount.
Good luck!

· Super Moderator
74,503 Posts
Like Andra, I do recall an 'instant' trade where I immediately had the GC credited. There was language, however, that indicated that if they didn't get the traded device in a certain time period, they'd charge my CC on file in the amount of the GC.

The 'in person' trade in I did was through a tech repair shop called UbreakIfix -- now called Asurion. They're authorized 'acceptance agents' for Amazon trade ins so when you take the device, they give it a quick check, and immediately provide you a receipt with an Amazon GC code that you can then go home and redeem in your account. If you have a shop near you, it is definitely faster as you don't have to wait for them to confirm they got it.

Pro tip: if you're shipping it, keep all the documentation and proof that you did send it in case it gets lost. At least one person her had that happen but they had everything, including a confirmation that it had been received, and they were able to get their credits properly applied.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like Andra, I do recall an 'instant' trade where I immediately had the GC credited. There was language, however, that indicated that if they didn't get the traded device in a certain time period, they'd charge my CC on file in the amount of the GC.

The 'in person' trade in I did was through a tech repair shop called UbreakIfix -- now called Asurion. They're authorized 'acceptance agents' for Amazon trade ins so when you take the device, they give it a quick check, and immediately provide you a receipt with an Amazon GC code that you can then go home and redeem in your account. If you have a shop near you, it is definitely faster as you don't have to wait for them to confirm they got it.

Pro tip: if you're shipping it, keep all the documentation and proof that you did send it in case it gets lost. At least one person her had that happen but they had everything, including a confirmation that it had been received, and they were able to get their credits properly applied.
Thanks for the tips. I assume doing the trade through Asurion does not get you the discount on a new kindle, jus the gift card?

· Registered
301 Posts
Yeah, that was me, unless someone else has had the same adventure to report!
Not a lesson easily forgotten.
Thank goodness for tracker numbers!

· Super Moderator
74,503 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I assume doing the trade through Asurion does not get you the discount on a new kindle, jus the gift card?
No, it should still work for all promotions. But it gets credited quicker because as soon as Asurion accepts it in the system, the promo goes on your account. And, as I said, the GC you get (as I recall) via a receipt that you then type in when you get home or whatever. When I did this it was a couple of years ago, so it may have changed, but it definitely was easier/quicker for me. As far as I know they do still accept trade ins for Amazon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts