Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my Kindle and I'm not sure if it is something I'm doing or what. When I am done reading, I press the two key combination (lower left and font lower right) to put it to sleep. My Kindle appears to go to sleep and the screen saver appears - but then it immediately wakes back up. Last night I must have put it to sleep five or six times before it stayed.

The reason this is a problem is sometimes I think I have put it to sleep and when it starts back up, my place has been lost because random buttons/ page turns have occurred while I thought it was sleeping.

I have resorted to triple checking it is really asleep before closing the cover but was wondering if I am doing something wrong.

If left unattended, it appears to go to sleep without problem and always wakes up without a problem.

Thanks for any insight or information you all might have.

-Brian

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have found that this happens to me if I hold the keys down too long. Just press the keys, don't press and hold.

Hope that helps!  :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I definitely hold the buttons - usually until the screen saver comes up.

Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
399 Posts
tlshaw said:
I have found that this happens to me if I hold the keys down too long. Just press the keys, don't press and hold.

Hope that helps! :)
That is the trick. My Mom was having the exact same problem with hers and had to learn to hold down the Alt key and quickly tap the font key, immediately letting up on the Alt key. Once she got used to that motion, problem went away. :)

Practice a bit, Brian A, and you'll get the hang of it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Aren't you relieved to know it is probably you and not your Kindle!  ;)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I had the same problem when I first got my Kindle too.  Pressing the keys per above suggestions should take care of the problem.

Happy reading and dozing to you and your Kindle!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
It will go into sleep mode automatically after 10 minutes. You can't change that interval. But I usually put it to sleep manually and like the others have all said, just press the keys quickly. That should fix your problem.

L

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the SAME problem when I first got my Kindle, and it turned out that I was holding the buttons down too long. You just need to hit them and then let go. It takes half a second or so for the Kindle to actually go to sleep.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I never turn mine off.  It comes back from sleep a lot faster than it comes back from off, by my observation.  And the more onning and offing you do the more you wear the mechanical switch.  Though that's probably a pretty trivial issue, really.

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Suzanne said:
Thank you, Ann. I'll start doing that and give Abigail a nappy-poo when I'm done with her. I'm very faithful every morning (it's part of my ritual now) to charge her when I get up.
I charge Gertie K at night. I want to know she's ready to roll first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who held the font button too long- I was getting concerned that there was something wrong. I have just started not turning my Kindle off when I'm done reading and put it to sleep instead. I do still turn it off if I think it will be awhile before I'm going to be able to read again- don't know why- it's not like it's wasting power. Just habit I guess

1 - 16 of 16 Posts