Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She drives me bonkers. Everytime I'm showing my Kindle to someone when she is around, ie to family members or other people. She starts going on and on about a friend of hers who has a what's that thing called again.... goes and looks up.... ::) Oh the Sony E-reader. She goes on and on and on. I try to tell people the difference and why kindle is so good but she talks over me. you'd think she owned a Sony e-reader or had stock in it.

I've tried telling her the difference but she doesn't hear any of that. I was trying to tell my sister in-law about it this afternoon and again mom jumped in. So I tried to tell My Sis the difference and that Amazon has a lot more books and better prices, not to mention the wispernet. Then my mom jumps in again about the Sony and all the free books and all the other so called e-readers. Like the PDA or some other item that lets you download books to read.  So I told my Sis if she did get one for my brother, we could put him on my account and share books!  Ok that helped score points for the kindle!  ::) :eek:

Even when I first got mine and was trying to tell her about it she started on about her friends Sony  :-\

just had to get that out!  :eek: ;D

theresam

·
Registered
455 Posts
LOL!!!  :D Ok, sorry but you made me laugh so hard I snorted!

Next time you want to tell someone about your Kindle, text a family member or friend to call your mom. While she is on the phone, speed sell...lol. That way no slapping of the mother is required!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea but I'd probably throw the phone instead or at least bang it on the table and ask "Is this thing on?" :eek:

I was telling my step brother (other brother, who flew in from Kansas) on Thursday about it...had him all to myself.. I kept looking around for my mom to jump out and say something about the Sony kindle. So he pulled out his ipone and see I can have books too. So it was similar to having mom there LOL.   ;D

Theresam

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
bkworm8it said:
Only by my step dad. Funny thing is, if he was alive to see it, he'd get it and he's not the reader, mom is! go figure! ;D

theresam
I think Mom's just jealous.

At least my Mom gets upset that I never get asked about Little Gertie. I forgot to tell her that several people asked me about it at the restaurant today. She'll be so proud.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Oh my goodness, I know exactly what you mean. I have the same problem about everything. And my Dad is even worse than my Mom. I got a new vehicle and they had no interest. Two months later their friend got the same vehicle and the friends vehicle was the greatest thing on earth. I told them I might be going to India for work, they had no interest. But a different friend of theirs was in India for work and I've heard that story about 87 times.

It's like that for everything. No matter what I say or do, they know more or know better because some friend told them something. arrrggh

Now you got me all worked up!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kim said:
Oh my goodness, I know exactly what you mean. I have the same problem about everything. And my Dad is even worse than my Mom. I got a new vehicle and they had no interest. Two months later their friend got the same vehicle and the friends vehicle was the greatest thing on earth. I told them I might be going to India for work, they had no interest. But a different friend of theirs was in India for work and I've heard that story about 87 times.

It's like that for everything. No matter what I say or do, they know more or know better because some friend told them something. arrrggh

Now you got me all worked up!
LOL, at least I had my dad who was good about being 'interested' in things. Though some days he went over board, worried he'd forget to comment on something and every day asked if what I was wearing was 'new' even though he saw it about 100 times LOL.

My sister (not in-law) and I always call and say 'your mother...' when ever 'her' mother does this kind of stuff. It's nice i'm not the only one in the family that gets this. She doesn't do it to my brother though... he's the favorite <gggggg>

theresam

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think its great that

1) your mom is willing to talk to you. Some people have REALLY bad relationships with their parents. I mean, not ME, I'm just saying.

2) your mom can grasp that there are in fact many types of ebook readers, not just the kindle.

I love to talk kindle to people, but I REALLY love to talk about the more generic ebook technology, its great! So let your mom ramble on, read up on the Sony so that you can join her. "Yes the Sony is better in some respects (I assume thats true, but I have no idea!) and mom you should get one." Or my favorite debate tactic "Yeah, the Sony is SUPER nice, great display, SMALL, easy to read, man I love the new model! But I got the kindle because it has basically all that the Sony has but I also get the online feature and and and." Basically show them a jab then hit 'em with a roundhouse.
;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
You just made me laugh so hard this morning.  I have to admit that my mother drives me nuts, but it is my MOTHER-IN-LAW that came to mind when I read your post. 

The day we got engaged we went over to his parent's house to let them know and show them the ring.  His brother and sisters were excited and congratulating us, but his mom left the room. 

We couldn't figure out what she was doing in her bedroom.  Until she came out with this diamond solitaire ring that she had bought herself.  It wasn't the ring her husband gave her since they were dirt poor at that time, it was something she bought herself at this gaudy jewelry store.  She comes over with it and puts it up to my ring so she can see whose is bigger and prettier!!!!

Thank goodness I actually can't understand most of what comes out of her mouth. My ex-hubby and his family are Vietnamese and I still to this day (13 yrs after I met him) cannot tell if she is speaking English or Vietnamese!  So I pretty much just ignore her when she is around.

You aren't alone!!  :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Vampyre said:
Two words...Duct Tape. No slapping. Parental abuse is bad, no matter how much it may be warrented. :)
You are of course correct, parental abuse is bad, mmmkay?
But when I read the OP, a little idiot in my head jumped up and yelled "SLAP THE BXXXX!" and I laughed.
Man, THAT cost me some karma. :'(

G

·
I am just glad my Mom was never like this.  She was always happy to see us happy and never tried to compete with us in anyway.  Well she did sort of try to "steal" my sister's first little girl.  :)  Every one liked her when she was a baby.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I'm so glad my mother's not like this. ;)  And I get to see her this coming weekend!

Was I the only one who had to look and see if it was Robin who started this thread, just based on the title alone? Sounds like something she would have said... LOL

·
Registered
685 Posts
There are certain advantages of being old enough that both your mother and mother in-law are dead.  :D

Of course, there are dis-advantages as well. If you still have them, you have readily available baby-sitters.

Not that I really know. I am still single.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I had an excellent response all typed up and then boom the kindleboards crashed on me  ???. So now lets see if I can remember what I wrote. - Guess I should start my responses in word in-case that happens again!  :p

Anyhoo, you are all cracking me up! I would try duck tape but would get told there is something better to be used hehehehe!

Didir: That's when you just smile and nod a lot! But be careful you don't want to end up like Seinfeld and wearing a ruffly shirt  :eek: ;D ;D.

Kirwoodd: It wouldn't be bad if we actually HAD a conversation about it but I barely get the first two words out after the word kindle and  she starts in about the Sony and I can't get a word in edgewise. I have to wait for her to catch her breath then talk really fast before she starts again. Or wait until she's distracted.  ;D  But like you said, maybe she would like to have a Sony. We wouldn't be able to share books but at least maybe she would enjoy it.

I actually went back and forth for 8 months as to the Sony or the Kindle. I decided on the kindle because of the amount of books and the pricing along with the wispernet. I guess now I"m biased towards my kindle and love the idea of being able to share my account and the ton of books. (at least there seems to be lots of the type I read :))

BruceS: I'm single too so not so sure about the babysitting thing. I know it works for my sister but not so sure how it would work for me. Mostly me being 30 mins away instead of just next door LOL. Love my mother but couldn't live THAT close!!

Steph H: Hope you have lots of fun with your mom this coming weekend!

Her other 'neat trick' is to give a backhanded compliment ie: your makeup looks nice but next time don't use that color blush  :eek:

Ok so you don't get the wrong idea... I do love my mother, glad she is now living in the same state and we do lots of stuff together - I just ignore half of what she says and we have a great time  :eek: ;D ;D

theresam

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
My sister (not in-law) and I always call and say 'your mother...'
My brother and I both do this about our parents. However, both my mother and my aunt have started doing this to us about their mother. Who has somehow become "Our grandmother".

I agree with Vampy: no parent slapping. Even when they really really deserve it. Like those times they give out your phone number to complete strangers. For example. If she's like many many kindle parents, if you can just make her recognize that it's an electronic book that holds lots of books, you're way ahead of the game. Mom says she won't buy one until you can buy used kindle books.
Not the device.
Books on kindle that people have returned.
Sadly, she wasn't joking.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I tried to give my k1 to my mom. She said, "I wouldn't have that thing!" And she's a huge reader! I thought she would be happy. Now I'm just trying to get her to borrow it and read a couple of books on it but no go.
My mother in law would totally love it though.

Melissa

1 - 20 of 37 Posts