Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

So I was totally proud of my new cover so far. Almost done (except for the titles) and I'm pretty happy.

Then it occurs to me that the spots on my baddie look an awful lot like Trill spots (for those who watch Star Trek, more like Kurzon Dax than Ezri Dax) Gahhh! No wonder I liked them.

What do the fans think? Do I have to take this back to the drawing board?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Both Dax had the spots closer to the hairline than yours that are spread out on the face so I think you're ok.
Yeah, I'm a Trecky. 

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ya know, I keep seeing the covers, but I've yet to see the BOOK. *drums fingers impatiently*

Love the cover, btw. :D

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Nah, both Dax's spots were more along the hairline (and to really brand myself as a geek, the first Trill on Star Trek: TNG didn't have spots at all; they actually lifted the makeup for DS9 Trill from the "empathic metamorph" on TNG). I don't see any appearance of copying here. They just look a bit like leopard spots-- and that's hardly original to the Star Trek universe!

It's looking great, by the way!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I think that the cover is looking good. (I saw the original images and I like what you've managed.) I wouldn't really worry too much about the Trill thing. Maybe someone might associate the markings with that, but there's a limited number of traits one can give an alient to make them look alien, and particularly if all you have is their face. ;)

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I am a Trekkie. I travel to other countries for conventions. I have a photo of myself with handpainted Trill spots cuddling (in a platonic manner) Jeffery Combs. I feel that I can speak with authority on this subject.

The spots are Trill-like. Some on the forehead are exactly the same pattern formation as Jadzia's seasons 4-6, less so than Ezri's. Big deal. They are fabulous. Further, Trills have them down the hairline, neck, and depending on which episode, either across the shoulders or down towards the breasts (this is the general style, however, the artists did screw up a couple of times).

And I say again. Big deal. They're fabulous. The cover's fabulous. And as long as you don't start colouring them in to really complete the look, you're fine.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. I bow to your authority on the matter, Krista :)

I need this guy to have spots or change his description in the story. But other spots I came up with made him look like a cow, a giraffe or diseased. So then I found this pattern.  I think it was supposed to be 'leopard' done by a very confused person.  :D

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Doomed Muse said:
I like it. I don't think it looks too Trill.
My sentiments exactly. Loved Dax. Love your cover! I don't think I would have even thought "Trill" if you hadn't mentioned it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts