Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really have no idea if it completely sucks or if it has some redeeming qualities. I'm trying to make a cover for a book that I'm working on. Be honest. I'd rather know if it's ugly, lol.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Yeah, the first thing that jumped out at me was the Papyrus.

But looking beyond the font... what is it? What is the genre? What might the book be about? Looking at it, I can't quite guess. I'm thinking sci-fi time/space portal, but that might just be me and my love of Star Trek. :D

Yeah, and, forgive me for I have a dirty mind, but what sort of obscene object is that pink, eeewww-looking thing, actually?
Yeah, now that you mention it, it does have a slight Georgia O'Keeffe look to it, too.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Dalya said:
But ... I've seen top 100 books using the font, so ... perhaps the public is not so discerning. Still, you don't have any half-naked teens on your cover, so you will get no grace. No grace for you. ;D ;D
Papyrus for the sake of Papyrus isn't good.

But used correctly (hint, this is not the way) it's bad.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I just went over and looked at the cover art post by Keith Draws and all I could think was OMG! What am I thinking! Hahaha!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Hee, Anotherdreamer. There's nothing wrong with trying to make covers-- you learn a lot that way. But there are a lot of really good artists selling great covers for not much money. So that's always a nice option to have, too. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think it's cool if the story is related to some sort of voyage. Like "Into The Beyond" or some such thing.

My 2 cents  ;D

Marty

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Marty! Even if that was just for pity : )
Rest assured, by popular vote, you will not be seeing this cover in a few months!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Meg, I missed your post. Thanks! I'm trying! There will probably be some more losers posted soon : ) At least it's good for a giggle! I might end up buying one, but probably not until I exhaust myself on 50 more losers, hahaha.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

Just because trying to see it all big was making my eyeballs ache. You don't need me to repeat what others have said. :) I hope you work out an awesome cover.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the thread!
Yeah, resizing didn't help!
You guys will probably have to bear with me through a few more of these threads before I throw in the towel. Just a forewarning!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
George Applegate said:
Is this papyrus bad?
Is it the new comic sans?
It's highly recognizable and easy to access, like Comic Sans.

It should fit what you're doing if you use it.

Personally I think it works with ancient connotations. Avatar escapes because it's a primitive society in a sci-fi movie. Also, because James Cameron can do what he wants.

Your story seems sci-fi with no past connotations to me so I wouldn't have used it, but that's not to say it's flat out bad.

Certainly the imagery is interesting.

On first glance the cover looks old. Like 60's.

There you go. Some feedback. ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the feedback! I need it! You should have seen some of the others, they looked like tie dye. I'm really not looking to go retro! It just happened!
George, I really love yours! Did you do it yourself or get it done?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts