Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I really don't want to cause strife for a small business owner, so if anyone can show me I'm mistaken I'll remove this link quick-smart, but from what I can see this is anything but legit...

Today I came across this site: http://www.storenvy.com/stores/62397-tess-books

If I were you, I'd check that your books aren't up there--I know David Dalglish has at least one title in the store if somebody is in contact with him. I can deal with illegal downloaders... as much as I hate it, I can deal with it. What I can't handle is someone profiting from my work and endangering my income through Amazon.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I see one of Deanna Chase's books up there too.  If she didn't give permission for it to be there, that's two of you who weren't aware your books were being distributed in this manner, and that's all kinds of not legit.  Deanna, you around?

G

·
Is your book in distribution with any distributor? If the answer is no, then this is not legitimate. Contact Storeenvy and file a take-down notice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
Is your book in distribution with any distributor? If the answer is no, then this is not legitimate. Contact Storeenvy and file a take-down notice.
I was originally using Smashwords, but I pulled it from there ages ago. There are numerous indicators this site isn't legit but I guess I'm hesitant to leap after what happened to the lending site last time.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Honestly, I can't picture any legitimately distributed books being sold as just PDFs, not when they're properly formatted for all major online retailers, as yours and every traditionally published book up there is.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RM Prioleau said:
If you are able to sample the book, then check the copyright page to see if there's a 'Smashwords Edition' on there. It says that the books are delivered as PDFs.
There's no sample. You pay then they email it to you. And even if it does that doesn't mean anything... There were plenty of people who downloaded the smashwords edition before I pulled it. Any one of those could be distributing it.

G

·
Kalen ODonnell said:
Honestly, I can't picture any legitimately distributed books being sold as just PDFs, not when they're properly formatted for all major online retailers, as yours and every traditionally published book up there is.
FYI: Plenty of smaller outlets, particularly overseas, still sell PDF format. For "old school" ebook readers, PDF is still a preferred format. And for some things, particularly books with lots of graphics, two-column formatting, and charts, PDF is the only format you would WANT.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They say they act quickly, but that's actually amazing!

Yeah, it's gone now. I requested that they email me when they'd removed it but I haven't received anything yet.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah, I saw one of Maureen Johnson's books on there and tweeted a link to her cuz she has a gazillion followers.  She tweeted about it to make sure it wasn't legit with publishers, agents and other writers on her feed, and storenvy (the main site, of which the person selling the PDFs was just a subsite) shut it and one other PDF seller down right away.

The power of social media, right?  LOL.

EDIT:  And thanks for that point about PDFs, Julie.  Good to know!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kalen ODonnell said:
Yeah, I saw one of Maureen Johnson's books on there and tweeted a link to her cuz she has a gazillion followers. She tweeted about it to make sure it wasn't legit with publishers, agents and other writers on her feed, and storenvy (the main site, of which the person selling the PDFs was just a subsite) shut it and one other PDF seller down right away.

The power of social media, right? LOL.

EDIT: And thanks for that point about PDFs, Julie. Good to know!
Good move. I was considering tweeting but I haven't been a big Twitter user in a while. I'm barely on here anymore.

·
Registered
634 Posts
KCHawkings said:
Good move. I was considering tweeting but I haven't been a big Twitter user in a while. I'm barely on here anymore.
I noticed! Your cover does stand out, thanks to its color treatment. And yeah, just get the attention of someone with 70K followers when you want something done, haha.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If you go to the books section, you'll see that most of the photos are poor quality and are obviously not the originals. Many of them are snapshots of books taken on the floor or other places. No legitimate seller would display books that way. 

1 - 14 of 14 Posts