Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In three years of self publishing I've never had a return - then suddenly in my December records I see six returns, all from the UK, spread across four titles (all on the same subject).  Does this look normal?  Could they all have been the same buyer somehow?

Also on one of the titles there are two returns, but *three* refunds issued.  What would that be about?  There are no previous returns on that title that could account for the system playing catch-up.

Thank you for any input on this, like I said it's a first for me so I don't really understand how it works and am just a bit puzzled.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Since the economic downturn started I noticed an increase in returns several months ago, then a period with no returns, and then a slug of them last month. I noticed a couple returns this month on the same book, and then a sale.

Sometimes it may be someone who hit the 'order' button by mistake on their Kindle. Some of them may be quick readers who purchased the book, read it, and then returned it.

It just happens. In the past, more experienced authors here have mentioned that returns are just something we all have to deal with.

As for the returns vs. higher number of refunds, I have no idea why that would be, unless there was an issue or lag with reporting, which sometimes happens at the Zon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response JB :)

I downloaded the report for that timeframe and checked the dates of the returns - three of them were on the same day, three different titles all on the same subject, so it seems kind of obvious those were all the same person.  I guess my take on the subject wasn't to their taste.

What's confusing me now is that I'm showing a negative number in my earnings on that column.  Would that possibly be because the payout for those purchases had already been made to me, and the buyer returned them after I'd been paid?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yech, just looked at my month to date.Never had so many returns, ever. These were all in books with established track records and sales of thousands, so there isn't anything 'wrong' with them. A few were whole series; I am guessing in those cases, the buyer might have clinked on the series link and didn't intend to buy all of them. I do sometimes have people buy accidentally because they think they are non-fiction, but it sure has been a bad month for returns, and more than a week to go!

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Lack of prior returns doesn't mean anything. Everyone can get a return, and we almost never know the reason. Your questions:

Does this look normal? Yes.

Could they all have been the same buyer somehow? Possibly.

Also on one of the titles there are two returns, but *three* refunds issued. What would that be about? It's a return from a sale in the prior month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts