Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Brand new to all this and spent a little time trying to find my answer, but no luck. I've written a novel and was planning to self-publish. Got an awesome cover made up...but now, changed my mind and thinking to shop around for an agent and go with traditional publishing.
    I am way too excited to wait months and months (if I'm lucky!) before I see my book in print, so I was reading that some people use KDP to get a proof copy, and then just don't publish it. Thus satisfying my urge to see my book in print and helping to calm my impatience :)
    I got started on doing that, but KDP keeps asking me to choose - either for them to assign an ISBN or me to provide one. I don't see a way to get to the end and request a proof copy without doing that.
    But...once my book is assigned an ISBN, doesn't that show up in some database somewhere to agents/publishers, etc? Will it matter that I never published the book? Or does just being assigned an ISBN invalidate my book's status of never been published?
    I'm aware that the proof copy will not display the ISBN...but it seems like the book will be assigned one.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ShayneRutherford said:
I think you can get a copy printed for your own use from... Lulu?

Btw, if you do get lucky enough to get a publishing contract, it will likely be a year or two before the book is published. Not months.
Thanks, Shayne! :) I'll check it out

·
Registered
138 Posts
My book #3 Silver Victory is at a proof stage. Several of my beta readers prefer hard copies to PDFs, so I order proof copies for them.

As long as it's in draft status, you can change the ISBN (I just did it).

So, I don't think you've locked yourself into anything by setting it up as a draft in KDP and then printing proof copies.

On the other hand, B&N or Lulu may work for you as well.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
RockWhitehouse said:
My book #3 Silver Victory is at a proof stage. Several of my beta readers prefer hard copies to PDFs, so I order proof copies for them.

As long as it's in draft status, you can change the ISBN (I just did it).

So, I don't think you've locked yourself into anything by setting it up as a draft in KDP and then printing proof copies.

On the other hand, B&N or Lulu may work for you as well.
Proof copies come with a band across the cover that says Proof Copy on it. If you want a proper book without the proof copy stamp you have to order the book as a real book, and once a copy is sold the listing is there on Amazon forever. I'm not sure if ordering an author copy would get around that, but I wouldn't want to try it and then find out it doesn't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts