Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may sound a little obvious, but I am really not sure.
The ISBN that I have been allocated on Smashwords, can I use that on my Amazon page, and can I promote it on my blog OR is it solely for sales through Smashwords?

·
Registered
380 Posts
My understanding is that your Smashwords ISBN cannot be used on Amazon. 

Patricia Rockwell

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
2. FREE ISBN - This option is available only to books after they have been accepted into the Smashwords Premium Catalog. If you choose, Smashwords will apply an ISBN to your book at no cost to you (Smashwords pays for the ISBN as a service to you). This FREE ISBN is available to all Smashwords authors and publishers, anywhere in the world. The ISBN will register Smashwords as your publisher and will list you as the author. Whether Smashwords or you are listed as the publisher has no legal implication over ownership of your book or copyright. At Smashwords, you always control the publishing of your book.
http://www.smashwords.com/dashboard/ISBNManager

I can't find anywhere on the ISBN page that says you can't use it elsewhere.

·
Registered
892 Posts
CatherineIsom said:
this may sound a little obvious, but I am really not sure.
The ISBN that I have been allocated on Smashwords, can I use that on my Amazon page, and can I promote it on my blog OR is it solely for sales through Smashwords?
For registration purposes Smashwords aligns the ISBN to the ePub format of your book - read by Sony, Nook, I-Pad, etc. Amazon uses its own ASIN system so doesn't require an ISBN for a Kindle ebook (AZW format). However, there is, or was last time I uploaded an ebook via Kdp, a space to add in an ISBN. Although it is not used I key in my Smashwords ISBN into the box so as to help tie various versions of the same title together, a sort of belt & braces thinking, in case anyone else uses the title I've chosen.

As to putting the ISBN on your blog... why would you want to? Links to your book's page on major e-tailers would serve prospective readers better. No one has the time to hunt down ISBNs, we all want a one-click system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts