Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a block of ISBN numbers because it seems to be a nuisance to get listed on Google Books without them. How many different ISBNs will I need per book?

Here's what I think I need, please let me know if I'm wrong -

1 for Paperback
1 for Hardback (if I do a HC run)
1 for ebook
1 for audiobook

Do I need more than that? And if I have books that have ISBNs assigned by Smashwords/BN/Amazon, then I assign a whole different ISBN for another electronic edition, does that screw anything up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
1 paperback
1 hardcover
1 audiobook
1 smashwords
1 kindle
1 each for any other ebook version published someplace else, so no, don't worry about already assigned numbers, every version needs another one

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was afraid of - so with three novels completed and several more in the works I'd be better off buying 100 for $575 than buying 10 for $250.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Are you publishing through Creatspace and KDP and Smashwords? 

If so, you could pay $10 for the ISBN for each and have yourself listed as the publisher... you just can't take it elsewhere with you if you leave.

Not sure about audiobooks however (haven't dealt with those just yet).

-jb 8)

·
Registered
338 Posts
John Hartness said:
That's what I was afraid of - so with three novels completed and several more in the works I'd be better off buying 100 for $575 than buying 10 for $250.

Thanks!
Yes, leave the existing isbns on your current books, but eventually you'll use up a lot of them on the other books.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I asked the owner of All Romance EBooks about this, and she said ARE uses just one ISBN over all e-formats.

In talking with other authors and publishers, I get the impression that while Bowker, which profits from each ISBN sale, would really like us to use a separate ISBN for every format, in the real world, many e-publishers/distributors use just one across all e-formats.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
jimbronyaur said:
Are you publishing through Creatspace and KDP and Smashwords?

If so, you could pay $10 for the ISBN for each and have yourself listed as the publisher... you just can't take it elsewhere with you if you leave.
Not sure about Createspace (KDP doesn't use ISBNs), but if you pay for the $10 ISBN from Smashwords, you can take it somewhere else if the somewhere else is using the epub format. Someone asked Mark Coker about that a few weeks ago, and he said they could, but the ISBN would still list Smashwords as the distributor. I'm not sure if that would cause a problem with wherever you took it or not.

Here's the thread where it was discussed (and I was corrected):

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,58718.msg1113161.html#msg1113161

1 - 7 of 7 Posts