Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I first ordered and obsessed about my kindle back in March, my fiance thought I was crazy.  I wouldn't stop talking about it, I drove him insane for the 5 weeks that I had to wait for it.  He kept telling me that he didn't get it, why I would pay so much for something then have to pay for books on top of it.  He's a reader, but reads mostly music magazines and books and has said over and over again he'd either never get one or he'd wait for a version with better graphics so he could read his books with pictures.  Lately though he's gotten more into fiction books. 
He's the most impossible person to buy for, so last night I asked him what he'd like for Christmas.  He looked over at me, reading my kindle, and said 'I think I want a kindle'.  I looked at him wide eyed - it took me 7 months of talking about how it's changed my life, but come Christmas we'll be a 2 kindle household!  I just wish he would have told me a week ago so I could have gotten the Oprah discount!!  I don't care, I think everyone in the world should have one and can't wait to give him one. 

·
Registered
165 Posts
YAY Jen!  How fun for you.  And what a feeling of accomplishment you must have over having converted him!

I am seriously thinking of buying one for my DH for Christmas.  He has become more and more curious about it.  He likes to read a lot (loves Civil War history especially).  Due to his "advancing age" (recently turned 45-heehee) he is having trouble seeing the print on the page.  He is FAR too vain to get glasses (yet!), and so he is digging the idea of being able to bump up the font.

My DH too struggles with having to pay for the books though.  But I keep trying to tell him that if I bought the Kindle for him on my account at least we'd be able to share books!  His response?  "Um, no offense or anything, but we don't exactly have the same tastes in reading..."

Hmmm.... we'll see.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
colleen said:
Due to his "advancing age" (recently turned 45-heehee) he is having trouble seeing the print on the page.
LMAO Colleen!!! Mine turned 48 a few weeks ago and is "feeling" his age. He doesn't quite understand my love of reading and as long as we've been together (15 years), I've never seen him read a complete book. Yet, he'll happily read articles and such on his Palm...something that I do not get at all ;-p

Yipee Jen...WTG!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Jen said:
So when I first ordered and obsessed about my kindle back in March, my fiance thought I was crazy. I wouldn't stop talking about it, I drove him insane for the 5 weeks that I had to wait for it. He kept telling me that he didn't get it, why I would pay so much for something then have to pay for books on top of it. He's a reader, but reads mostly music magazines and books and has said over and over again he'd either never get one or he'd wait for a version with better graphics so he could read his books with pictures. Lately though he's gotten more into fiction books.
He's the most impossible person to buy for, so last night I asked him what he'd like for Christmas. He looked over at me, reading my kindle, and said 'I think I want a kindle'. I looked at him wide eyed - it took me 7 months of talking about how it's changed my life, but come Christmas we'll be a 2 kindle household! I just wish he would have told me a week ago so I could have gotten the Oprah discount!! I don't care, I think everyone in the world should have one and can't wait to give him one.
Just make sure you can keep it a secret and don't torture him like my hubby is doing to me... ;D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so bad at keeping secrets, plus I was so flabbergasted that he actually said out loud that he wanted one it was pretty obvious!  I was so excited I practically got on amazon and ordered it right there!!  I did tell him though that before I buy one he better get on amazon and make sure there are plenty of books that he wants to read.  I would not be happy if I bought it and it sat in the pile with all of his other reading material!   

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
That is great, now if Amazon would give a 'frequent buyer discount' for Kindles.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now THERE is a great idea!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Victory!! Woot-Woot!!

I'm trying to feel Chris out about it - he is 41 and says he doesn't have time to read because of all his travel and he like audio books. I told him he could listen to audio books on it and while he is traveling (planes) - HELLO - he could be reading. He still seems on the fence. I almost ordered one during the Oprah promotion but while I know he is a little interested.... not sure if he would use it or not. If I weren't so selfish, I'd let him use mine but when I thought of that, I immediately discarded the possibility as too traumatic for me

G

·
I, too, feel we are near a breakthrough at our house. When I bought our K, Jim (Bacardi Jim), was quite vocal about his objections to the purchase. Even made rumblings about how we might have to send it back. He was resistant to putting his hands on it. Last night while I had it at work, he called me and said "you have it with you, don't you?"

His comment this morning when I arrived home was "I thought if I am going to spend time on KindleBoards, I better try it out." I put it in his hands, and after moving his thumb off of the left next page button a couple of times, I walk him through the process.

I think he is still reserving judgment, but he did admit that maybe we could share it. Alternate usage between Kindle books and "dead tree" books.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
Hey Jen!

It looks like there is close to a six week wait now for new kindles so maybe you should order the Xmas gift sooner rather than later.

Wisteria Clematis
Wow, 6 weeks? That's like the old days. Yikes!

L

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6 weeks?!  It says on there 2-3, wow.  I told him he better make sure he wanted it before I ordered, he wants a couple of days to think about it.  I did think about sharing it - but about 1.5 seconds later changed my mind.  Thanks for the heads up Wisteria!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts